T-56 speed conversion kit to be made

Chad

I had some pics of the kit on a PC that crashed, but I'll probalby not be using the flywheel shim. It's too difficult to manufacture and Otis at Midwest turbo has helped me come up wtih a replacement flywheel instead, it's a better option. I'll make less $$ off this project than hoped, but i'l be able to offer a better product.

I've since driven the setup, got though all 6 gearsn and tested to ~100 MPH, no problems at all.

I'll round up some new pics tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The kit is basicaly done, I'm just waiting on some feedback from a few that are helping me with R&D. I can say as soon as this feedback comes in and any corrections to the kit are made, and options are tired and sorted out, it will be ready. I also want to run a different clutch/flywheel setup in my own car to verify compatibility with different brands, but terrible weather has kept me off of that swap for the last few weeks. there is usualy some nice breaks in the weather in December (cold but dry).

One probelm with this conversion is that the transmission takes longer to take out due to less clearance, and greater weight (the trans alone is ~120 pounds). It uses a modular bell housing so you take the trans off the bell housing, but this requires loosening the motor mounts and tilting the motor. A normal stock clutch swap on this car takes ~ 3 hours, this setup will be more like 5.

I have 17 adapter plates made already, 24 hardware kits (nuts/bolts), and all the other materials in stock for 24 kits. It won't take long to produce when it's ready.

I realize this has been delayed a lot longer than anyone wanted, myself especialy, but this is not an easy kit to put together. With the help of those who are doing R&D with me, it should be a 1 day bolt-in kit when finnished.

If you are honeslty going to do this kit, save your $$ now if you haven't already, I see no reason why it can't be available by the first of 2007. I could technicaly release it now (because I know it does work), but I want all the varriables and options worked out first.

My cost so far, including the matrials, my own kit parts, and the extra T56 trans and T56 parts I purchsaed for prototyping, is about $6600.00 :shock: to date, and this does not include any labor, or any special tooling I've purchased to make this happen. My actual cost is ~$10K, and I'll be lucky to get $12K back out of this over ~3 years.

Lets just say this has not turned out to be a wise financial investment for me personaly, but I can't turn back now :wink:

wise or not, I have perminantly cured my drivetrain woes :lol:

A recap of cost so you don't have to re-read 8 pages:

things that are not part of my kit or this GP:

$ 800-3000 - transmission

$250-600 - clucth

$250-425 - flywheel

$250-550 - driveline

$250-350 - speedo adapter

$450 base kit (price subject to change +/-)

Options that replace components otherwise already mentioned above

$250 billet pinion adapter option

$250 New hydrolic clutch master/slave/line option

$250 flywheel adapter to use your stock steel flywheel*, option

*The stock steel flywheel also requires the back to be machiend off (standard lightening process does this) and the adapter adds that lost weight back to the front assembly. the net result is a flywheel that weighs about 32 pounds. the new T56 fidanza is about 16 pounds.

Things that can be gotten though other GP's to reduce costs:

~ $165 Pro 5.0 short shifter (this thing ROCKS !)

~ $250-500

~ $250-500

~ $250-350

~ $2200-3200

/ Doing it the right way... i commend you for that!!! time to develop and R&D is absolutily crucial.

What was the cost for the kit again? (just the stuff we will pruchase from you)

That is a hard to question to answer, there are many options.

It will be an ala-carte ararngement, you pick the options you want and buy what you want/need, when you can afford it.

Many members will have to get this stuff in stages anyway as it is expensive to put together. It's a lot like doing an MPI converion.

the best answer to your question is that to get the minimum options, you will need to get atleast the base kit from me, which will be ~$450 (subject to change +/-)

Can't wait for the final specs and stuff. It's nice to see that you are finally able to finish this setup Chad. Thanks for all the time and money you invested in this project for the community. You have created a lot of quality parts for us and I'm sure this one will rock too.

One question, what is the overall weight difference between this and the stock tranny?

TIA

wer3e any images of these shim and flywheel parts taken ?

Im still confused as to how this all goes together.

I found some old pics :D

http://webpages.charter.net/catsamuel/DCP00764.JPG

This is on an HKS flywheel.

here is a handy formula I found for estmating MPH changes from this transmission and the optional gear sets and differential gears avaialble. You can do all the math with the values below to predict your final speeds.

(tire diameter) X (RPM)

366 X (diff ratio) X (trans gear ratio)

for refrence sake:

a 16" 245/45 tire diameter is : 24.7"

a 16" 225/50 tire diameter is : 24.9"

LT-1 T-56 ratios  stock quest ratios    

1st =  2.66           3.369              

2nd = 1.78           2.035              

3rd =  1.30           1.360              

4th =  1.00           1.000              

5th =   .74              .856                

6th =   .50  

D&D Performance options:

optional 5th : .80

optional 6th : .62       

G-force Transmissions:

1st: 2.98 2.71 2.62

2nd: 1.99 1.79 1.73

3rd: 1.35 1.30 1.35

4th: 1.00 1.00 1.00

5th: .86 . 89 .86

6th: .73 .75 .73

OR:

5th: .83 .86 .83

6th: .73 .75 .73                           

diff ratios:

Stock diff : 3.545

optional : 3.90

optional : 4.22

Chad,

Man O Man what I wouldn't give to slip one of these sweet T56's under my ride! But I've been gathering up information on the T56 conversion for my old 70 Goat as well, Too tired of 3000 at 60 MPH in 4th business. But when this kit comes together I'm sure I'll be into one sooner than later now that the S16G is in and I'm hammerin' this unit already. Only have 3 more of these to go through at the moment and they break so easily. I'm babyin' the gear changes trying to get as much life as I can from these but it would be nice to just rip through the gears and not have to worry. Much like my old muncie is now. Takes the speed shift pounding regularly and comes back for more.

So I'll be keeping my eye on this one for sure.

Turbo

okay so with the gears I plan on running and this tranny...All I need to do is come up with enough power....and duct tape all the body seams...here comes 200mph 8) 8) 8) :roll: :roll: :roll:

I think Im going to need to reinforce the airdam :lol: :lol: