Ditch the torque tube

Is it possible to get rid of the torque tube?  Secondly I will state that I don't know the reason we have them,  so that could be the reason I don't know the answer to this.  I know this sounds to easy but could we not remove the spline piece from the diff and replace with flange and run a one piece drive shaft? I feel like I've looked around on here pretty well but didn't find a answer,  excuse me if this has been covered

If you’re going to modify it and require a new driveshaft then you go with one of the many versions of the Ford 8.8. They are cheap available in all aluminum or cast, cheap unlimited gear ratios, clutch style, spools, torsion diffs. Lots of room underneath to mount it and have custom driveshaft and half shafts made. 

5 hours ago, awinner87tsi said:

Makes sense I didn't think about the torque tube being the forward mount for the diff.

That is the kicker. I'm sure if someone got creative enough you could come up with a mount/link system to hold it in place and run a driveshaft the whole way. Never been done to my knowledge though. 

I have an 89 that I sent and had the axles rebuilt by guy on the Facebook page, they have maybe 2k miles on them.  If you do the ford diff  do have to run custom axles  or make a adapter, I know you would have to make a drive shaft

You would need to have custom 1/2 shafts made. A few ways to make that happen. The ford shafts could be shortened and re-splined to fit your stock outers. Cut both shafts sleeve and weld, getto but I have done it a few times with zero failures. Have a complete driveshaft shop custom shafts made.