Bumper foam water prevention

BKB94

I have not split my bumpers yet to see what kind of rust issues I have on the supports. What can be done to prevent this issue from happening again? I'm sure you can coat the foam in possibly a bed liner like product, It might melt it if applied thick. And in searching I did see mention of drilling drain holes and removing some foam around the fog light area. So anyone have proven solutions to this issue?

I remember reading a thread a long time ago where someone wrapped all the foam in duct tape. I don't know how it held up but it's a pretty low cost simple solution.

I did nothing to mine during resto. I figured it would never see rain again and I very rarely wash the car. I just clean/wipe it down with Griots Speed Shine.

I have debated leaving the foam out. They are just there for impact as far as I know. Not sure how much, if at all, it might affect the structure over time. I recently had my new to me front and rear bumper supports blasted, zinc coated and then powder coated to try and fight any future rot. My original supports were in real bad shape. 

Edited by psu_Crash

Years ago when I pulled my 88k front bumper on my 89 that was mostly garaged and replaced in 90 something from damage before I owned it, the front support was already getting bad. I made some stencils to repair from another low mileage quest I had access to but ended up finding one of the last oem replacement front supports around 2010. When I put it back together I cut channels in the foam to direct water across and slits going towards rad to direct water away. I also sanded and coated the support with a POR 15 style coating after a sealant coat. After a few hundred miles and  few washes I pulled some of it apart and it appears to be draining and holding up fine. 

I have 20 years of pics, I know I have some of swapping the front. If I have the foam pics I can email them to you.