Front Wheel Bearing/Seal Replacent

Contsi

Having rubbing type noise when coming to a stop; not continuous but per each revolution and doesn't appear to be every time.

Appears to be coming from right front wheel. Does not appear to be related to the brakes.

I got a set of inner, outer bearing an seal and thinking of replacing.

Manual shows special tool for pressing the race. Is this something I can get? and how tricky is this project?

Had a bit of play to that wheel a couple years ago, I tighten the hub nut a bit and the play went away.

Thanks

Just need a typical bearing installation tool.  They are available at harbor freight, amazon, etc.   You can use it to drive in the bearing races for both the inner and outer bearings as well as properly install the seal.   To remove them, the bearings themselves just fall out (after removing the oil seal) and you can drive out the races with a punch and hammer.   You 'may' be able to install the races and seal with appropriate diamter sockets..if you have them.   

I can dig up some photos, if you would like. 

Link below from Amazon for reference, if appropriate;

Would this work? I’m more interested in knowing the correct size for our bearings.

Some sets are very small. I don’t want to spent too much on set containing many sizes as it won’t be used very often.

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-Motor-Tech-Universal-Automotive/dp/B08JLDHZHT/ref=asc_df_B08JLDHZHT/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=632146149006&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3348117571413116739&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002053&hvtargid=pla-1186429332171&psc=1

I think this is the kit I have (or very similar). Not having to use a hammer is always a better way, in my opinion. 

https://a.co/d/2FswANO

FYI your problem doesn't sound like a bearing to me. Something in the brakes making noise? I have had stuff get in the caliper before and cause all kinds of W T F moments. 

Edited by psu_Crash

Sorry it took me a bit to respond.   Here are the photos I found.  I only have pictures of the assembly.   Now that I found the photos, I can check the sizes on two of the bearing tools I used (the gold and the silver ones).  Doesn't look like I snapped a photo of the oil seal installation which I used a larger one for.    I'll get back to you on the sizes of those two though.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

6 hours ago, psu_Crash said:

I think this is the kit I have (or very similar). Not having to use a hammer is always a better way, in my opinion. 

https://a.co/d/2FswANO

FYI your problem doesn't sound like a bearing to me. Something in the brakes making noise? I have had stuff get in the caliper before and cause all kinds of W T F moments. 

Good point, I’ll have to take a closer look at the brakes. Figure bearings are inexpensive so I’d try process of elimination. Couldn’t think what else it could be.

Thanks

It appears the rotor was rubbing against a clip for one of the pads; the only way for this to happen is if the rotor is not properly seated. If the rotors were held down with screws I could be sure. Also, one of the C clip for the lug was not on the lug, it was stuck against the hub. Anyway, I took it out for a while and no noise, I’ll keep checking since it didn’t do it every time, but more times than not.

Thanks for the pictures, these are great.

On page 2-10 of the manual it shows the C clip I refer to above and officially called here Snap ring

to be at the disc. On my car they are on the hub, clipped to the lugs as they exit, which is correct?

Thanks

The C clips hold the brake rotor against the hub.  The rotor slides on over the studs on the hub and the c-clips get inserted over the studs against the rotor.     They honestly are not required, they just help installing your brake pads.   

I totally forgot to look up the bearing installer sizes this weekend.

On 10/2/2023 at 8:12 AM, kev said:

The C clips hold the brake rotor against the hub.  The rotor slides on over the studs on the hub and the c-clips get inserted over the studs against the rotor.     They honestly are not required, they just help installing your brake pads.

The C-clips hold the studs in the hub too! For some reason known only to Mitsubishi, the studs aren't press fit into the hubs like most cars, and if the clips aren't installed, the studs can slide out and spin, which sucks. I used Loctite 680 on mine to hold them in so that I could eliminate the clips and run aftermarket wheels.

Yes, the clips do go between the rotor and the wheel. The stock wheels have counterbores at the lug holes to clear the clips.

Thanks for that.

One of the lugs did spin years ago, but I remember having to go to a shop to have the nut removed, luckily it was easy with the impact drive. Also had a welder fix the shoulder on the lug. It’s all coming back. I believe that is why they are between hub and rotor, believing they were to hold the lugs. So looks like dual purpose. I will move them.