Model for 1G MAF Cone adapter

tux

One of my Starions I adapted a 1G DSM MAF, the 1G MAF doesn't fit in the Starion aircan and the 1G air can doesn't fit nicely into the Starion, so I made an STL for an adapter to use a standard cone filter.

If anyone wants on you can download the STL from here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5801293

I used a truck cone filter.  I didn't model the holes for the bolts.  Just dab some paint on the MAF nuts to locate them and drilled the holes myself.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FBS said:

Hey thats brilliant Tux... I also do a lot of 3D printing design stuff myself... I looked at the file... very nice job there. !!  

Thanks,

It's the first thing I designed myself.  No matter what, my screw holes ended up in the wrong spots, so I gave up on them :D

What design software are you using... maybe I can help... I use Fusion 360....  I used to use  Sketchup and sometimes still do for certain things.. but I have found Fusion 360 to be very useful..  Its really good for a first design... I cannot say my first things were ever that good...  Do you have 3D printer access?? 

10 minutes ago, techboy said:

Model looks good tux.  What infill settings are you printing with?  And what material are you using?  I really PTEG lately, but I have access to PLA, ABS, and Nylon.

I used PLA+ for the first print.  I was surprised it came out flawless of my low quality printer.  I used 20% infill and no supports.

I have some PETG but haven't tried to print with it yet.  I'm not sure if PLA+ will handle underhood temps in the airbox location or not.  I don't think it gets too hot over there on a stock car.

18 minutes ago, FBS said:

What design software are you using... maybe I can help... I use Fusion 360....  I used to use  Sketchup and sometimes still do for certain things.. but I have found Fusion 360 to be very useful..  Its really good for a first design... I cannot say my first things were ever that good...  Do you have 3D printer access?? 

I'm using Fusion360.  I find it difficult to place things where I want them.  The last time I used any CAD software was in the middle 90's in middle school and I remember Autocad being easier to place things where I want.  I do have a printer, it's a BIQU B1 SE Plus.  Size and availability was a factor in the decision to purchase this printer.  My main goal of this printer was to design a plastic mockup for the LS430 brake calipers and 3kgt vr4/300zx brake calipers.   

This MAF filter adapter was a quick thing to try to make something reasonably accurate.

1 hour ago, obsolete said:

You printed that with no supports? How on earth did you orient it?

It was a mistake.  I oriented it with the vacuum nipple up.

I honestly have no idea how it printed successfully.

I like Fusion alright. We piloted it at work last year for an entire year. We ended going back to Inventor which is really similar just a little bit more powerful.  During the pandemic when we were all working from home we were using Onshape b/c it was cloud based. I really like Onshape and still use it personally, but I think I have to pay now b/c the last time I logged in all my files were read-only and there was a message if I wanted them accessible I had to do something. I need to follow up.

We just got a resin printer at work. Anycubic. I'm learning go use it right now. It can do way more complicated designs but it's even slower than 3D printing and there's some clean up involved - and it stinks like chemicals to high heaven when it's running.

Try the PETG and see how you like it. Its a bit stronger than PLA and gives a smoother print. It won't look as layered as PLA.  I like PLA for models but find it breaks pretty easy for anything functional.

18 hours ago, techboy said:

Try the PETG and see how you like it. Its a bit stronger than PLA and gives a smoother print. It won't look as layered as PLA.  I like PLA for models but find it breaks pretty easy for anything functional.

Thanks, I'll pick up some petg and reprint might be better for this application