AutoZone PS pump failed after a few months

tux

Went to rebuild since AutoZone doesn't have any stock to replace under warranty and seems nobody else has available to buy.

But could this be the reason why it was dumping fluid from the shaft while not running?  I don't remember from the last time I failed at repairing one.

Note the swirled score.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CpaywK3F9srPQELu9

The swirl on the bushing is correct but that bushing does wear with time and the added play causes leaks even with a new seal.  

id say toss another seal in it and give it a try but if it still leaks, it’s the bushing.  

4 minutes ago, TexasQuest said:

Like kev mentioned, it seems to be the bushing failure causing the rebuild leaks. 

Ya possibly.  Every time i take one of these apart and put back together, it ends up seized. 

Guess I'll be hunting ebay for another

I put some grease on the cam and found that is what is hitting the rear casing when it's torqued down to spec.

Not sure why that would be 

ensured cam ring has punch mark towards the pump body and there's very few parts so none are missing.   Strange business .

Just found a post that said not to assemble it while resting on the pulley.  When i try again I'll do that and report back

Edited by tux

11 hours ago, tux said:

Maybe, just maybe, the circlip could be the culprit. It may be stretched a little wider than it should be.  Not sure where to get another one to try and be more gingerly when installing 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GtqgTVB6o*DMExEN7

Seems unlikely. I would think if that clip was letting things move more than it should you would see damage/wear on parts that would be obvious. Who knows though

I thought maybe because it would fit in the recess in the back of the housing but measuring with some calipers leads me to believe the recess isn't deep enough to accommodate the shaft and the circlip 

I slapped some grease on the cam and it looks like the cam is binding on the back of the case.

I guess the life pro tip to get it to work: a big vise and a plastic dead blow hammer.

That circlip needs to be well inside of the recess.  Get it in there are good as possible, set it up in a deep vise and get angry with the hammer smashing the back end of the pump shaft.