Old Torque Tube fears from the late 90s

BlueCuda

The torque tube on my car is worn out, I can feel the slop back there driving it around.  So that got me laughing about the old days when I had my first conquest which was 98-99ish I don't recall exactly.  

I was on what I believe was called the Ultimate Conquest and Starion forum.  Back then there seemed to be a goofy fear that the torque tube could fail and cause the driveshaft to fall out and possibly wreck the car.  So a few weeks after I bought my first conquest it needed a clutch.  So while I was down there 20 year old me took apart the torque tube only to realize it is incredibly simple, didn't see how you could break it, or how it could cause the driveshaft to fail.  

Fast forward to 2021 when I bought my current conquest and there seems to be zero mention of torque tube failure beyond the splines wearing out.  

Just a funny memory that is all.  

Good Find!  The only part that makes any since is the spline wearing out, but how that locks the drive shaft up....not a clue!

Besides, Mythbusters tried to catapult a car with a broken driveshaft and didn't have a ton of luck lol.