4 bolt vs 6 bolt rear diff setup

questtuner82

Ok so i know everyone says the 6 bolt axles are much better to use but is it worth swapping everything over from the 4 bolt? Are the 6 bolt axles alvailable because i know ive tried to find 4 bolt axles for a year and nobody stocks them, except a mitsubishi dealer in california that is selling them at 325$ each as vintage nos parts.

Its been an ongoing restore with a mild built g54. Bored 40 over 8.5:1 compression bullet forged pistons h beam rods lightened and knife edged crank. Custom grind crower high lift mech cam ported and blended non jet head with 2mm oversized valves going mpi on it shortly after intake is finished being made. Gt35r ball bearing 82a/r turbo custom header etc. keeping it streetable use. But i was just trying to see if there are any axles available new for either 4 or 6 bolt axles. I have the whole rear assembly in both setups. I have a bad axle in the 4 bolt stuff but good rebuilt 6 bolt axles. So my best bet is using 6 bolt axles? Also what kind of trans would be able to be swapped in without alot of money and hacking? I went through 3 transmissions already in my daily driver

there's a couple places I've found online that will rebuild your half sharts. including adding material then re-machining the surfaces and installing new balls and (crap I cant think of the name of them) "ball holders" lol

I'm sorry... I'm at the beach.lol

Edited by 87redcat

there's a couple places I've found online that will rebuild your half sharts. including adding material then re-machining the surfaces and installing new balls and (crap I cant think of the name of them) "ball holders" lol

I'm sorry... I'm at the beach.lol

Wife :P

You mean the race.

You're the man that likes to spend oodles of money on custom engine bits, just throw some at a driveline company and they'll make something that can stand whatever HP you throw.

I have a set of thunderbird half shafts and the center section. Im having pittsburgh driveline make a set of hubs that will do away with the 4 or 6 bolt hub all the way and allow the axles to come through the hubs like on the thunderbirds. The ford 8.8" center section can handle 500+ hp as well as the axles. So hopefully the hub assemblies when made will be just as strong. Also a gm 2.5liter bell housing matches our motors very closely except for two bolt holes which i think can be easily tig welded shut and new ones drilled, this would allow the use of the 5 speed trans out of the 2.5 or 2.8 s10 or the older 82-91 2.8 v6 camaro trans to be used. Just gotta figure out starter area and the 2.5 liter clutch disc with our flywheel and pressure plate