exhaust work and a wire welder

IntercooledFlatty

so i have a ( no gas ) wire welder ( tho i do need a mig...one day ) and i wanna do some exhaust work. anyone use one of these lil gemZ on aluminized steel exhaust tubing ? are you happy with the results ?

10' stick of 3" , 3 mendral bent 90's, and a hooker Aero Chamber sitting on the garage floor and my terd sounds horrible with an open mookie DP :lol:

Clean the aluminized coating off the ends that are going to get welded. Slightly higher heat would help to put down better welds, adjust your travel speed. After welding bush and coat the welds with high heat aluminized spray or high temp paint to minimize rust. Wire welds without gas tends to rust faster for some reason.

i have some old exhaust i planned on doing some test runs. i also planned on welding and grinding because if you've seen my welds.......

http://buddhistpaganmagick.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/screaming.jpg

Ive seen them! On that right hand brake ya sold me loll. We all start somewhere :D

Flux core wouldn't be my first choice but hey you use what you got. No need to scrape off the aluminized coating, the welding arc will burn it off before the filler metal gets there. A wire wheel on a grinder will help get the flux off your welds.

Exhaust shops primarily use mig. It's easier to see the puddle on a mig than with flux core. If you get a mig machine I bet your welding skills will improve.

thanx fudda tips yO ;) i forgot i needed hangers :blink: prob won't do this til next weekend, pics to come

if it's acceptable enough work to post em :lol: :lol: :lol: i don't roll like mikie :P heda man mang :D

grind and throw some paint

...it will look like tig :D

Flux core wouldn't be my first choice but hey you use what you got. No need to scrape off the aluminized coating, the welding arc will burn it off before the filler metal gets there. A wire wheel on a grinder will help get the flux off your welds.

Exhaust shops primarily use mig. It's easier to see the puddle on a mig than with flux core. If you get a mig machine I bet your welding skills will improve.

Leaving the aluminized coating creates extra fumes, adds more contamination and spatter to the weld.

He's not tig welding... Yet :) so get em in the habit of prepping the work piece right.

Fumes shouldn't be an issue because you should weld in a ventilated area. The aluminum wont cause extra spatter. Aluminum melts @ around 1200 degrees while the welding arc is 6000-7000 degrees. The thin electroplated aluminum is long gone before the molten steel gets there. I welded mig and tig at an exhaust shop for years. Never removed the aluminum coating before welding, never had an issue.

He's welding exhaust pipes not aircraft parts. No need to get uber picky about the process. Just slap them together and weld.

wax on wax off Daniel son.

The right technique helps. Keep the voltage low is my tip.

Turn it up lil by lil and not get the pipe to hot.

You can dew eeeet :D

At the exhaust shop we used the opposite technique. We turned the welders up as hot as they would go. Made some really nice welds that way. But you had to be fast with the torch. Practice and muscle memory were essential. Hot and fast or low and slow, both work. Low and slow takes less skill so it's a better place to start learning. Once you get good then you can crank up the heat.

At the exhaust shop we used the opposite technique. We turned the welders up as hot as they would go. Made some really nice welds that way. But you had to be fast with the torch. Practice and muscle memory were essential. Hot and fast or low and slow, both work. Low and slow takes less skill so it's a better place to start learning. Once you get good then you can crank up the heat.

Yea I didn't think of the fast method.. What ever works for ya . Fast...slow..you got this.

thanx again doodZ , ICFlatty b on it ;)

i plan on tacking it, putting the system onda ground

then welding. i now have proper ventilation inda outhouse so iss all good G $'z

i'm also adding a BOV in place of the soft hose that goes from the ovcp tuda hard pipe that passes thru the rad support. i need to weld an adapter to a small piece of pipe.

i have mig'd and it aint so bad, but this wire with no gas ( with the very small amout of time i've used it ) is giving me fits :angry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Almost any type of welding requires cleaning the work piece for best results, tig requires a little more. Most Exhaust shops don't remove aluminized coating or rust before welding because it takes time and extra work.

An exhaust that will be going on your own car, take a few minutes, clean the metal before welding. The molten material will flow and fuse better.

• 2 weeks later...