Free Training: Learn To Tune

speedyquest

I came across a link to this nice website that offers a 5 video series directed at teaching a car enthusiast the basics of tuning their car. I will say that it looks like the site has lots of other information you need to pay for but this set of videos are free and does not lock you into any obligations.

I plan on watching them and seeing if I learn anything new.

https://learntotune....tuning-lessons/

Edited by speedyquest
  • Like 1

So it looks like they will be rolling out the videos over a period of time.

Here is the link to the first video for you all to watch, I'll keep this thread updated with the new videos so you guys don't have to sign up

Video #1: https://learntotune.leadpages.co/lesson-1-afr/

• Like 1

That video was super informative... wow! I honestly learned quite a lot and that definitely makes the idea of swapping over to a standalone ecu less "scary" tuning wise. I'm looking foward to the next video where they talk about ignition tuning.

I'm interested to see what some of you guys using megasquirt think about the video and how close your tuning experience software wise is to what is shown in the video.

Edited by speedyquest

I watched the first one and it seems like everything is spot on with my rudimentary understanding of tuning. The nice thing about having access to a dyno like that is that you can use a dyno brake to vary load on the engine (which you'd do by driving up a hill if you were live tuning, or down it, etc) so that you can move up and down in kPa cells without varying engine rpm. The other thing that complicates things from our end is tuning for turbo as you then have to compensate for the turbo spooling up and therefore changing kPa quickly at a given rpm target. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of these!

0ne thing pay more attention to OFF boost tuneing , that where you will be driving 70% of the time,, boost tuneing is

easy throw fuel to here till she's rich 11-12

as for how hard tuning is we have been trying to pound it in your heads for years is not all that hard

It may not be difficult (or at least the concepts aren't) but not many people have the money to fully build an engine and the cojones to tune it themselves...It's a lot easier to spend 250-500 bucks for someone who's tuned hundreds of cars to do it and not worry about blowing up something you spent 10 times that on building.

Good stuff. I'm saving the links to each video also and will share with non SQC friends including my dyno guy who surely gets tired of trying to explain this repeatedly.

I rarely turn down opportunities to learn, much less free education.

-------

one note: This guy's accent requires tuning yourself. He pronounces "Air" as "EAR". haa "...EAR Taybells..."

Edited by mstieg
  • Like 1

Nothing Earth shattering in those videos yet. They are very well put together, but just covers the basics so far. I think video #2 was the best so far. It really illustrates the reason that you can't tune your timing table without a dyno.

Yea your right psu, but I also think that was kind of their goal. I mean simply from a business standpoint they are wanting to show people they are putting out a good quality product and that its correct info. This does that for them and hopefully for guys that already know the basics but want to further their knowledge they will pay for a subscription for all of their videos.

While these videos arn't blowing my mind with knowledge, they are definitely are setting my mind at ease about what it takes to start tuning a car with a standalone ecu. It gives me the feeling I can tackle it.

Edited by speedyquest

Yeah it'd be pretty awesome to have access to a dyno with a hydro brake. Really would make tuning SO much easier. I'm sure that there are a small percentage of scenarios that a dyno can't cover (for daily driving duty) but it could cover 99% of them.

You know, I just realized that since I'm already putting the videos in here maybe I should include the article I read that started this whole thing. Its an article describing the basics of automotive wiring and some cool tips on how race cars are typically doing their harnesses etc.

Take a read --> http://www.speedhunt...ghtmare-part-1/

Reading this post really got me interested in re-wiring my whole car and not only doing a standalone ecu but making my own custom engine and body wiring harness.

Edited by speedyquest

I've completely built/rebuilt my stand alone harness 3 times. And I'm still not happy with it lol

I use TXL wire for most everything that doesn't require shielding. Then weather pack connectors from DIYAutoTune (or equivalent). I have a couple large amphenol connectors that I'd love to install on the firewall for easy harness removal .. But that hasn't happened yet

Yeah I am on #3 for rewiring my megasquirt as well. Best piece of advice I can give anyone looking to do that is make sure to do it with the harness in the car--don't guess at the lengths as you'll end up with a couple wires that are a little snug and some that have way too much slack. Mine's a lot better than it was and is now complete runs of wire instead of splices 2-3 times in a 8 foot length of wire but it still isn't perfect. And Mike I've thought of the whole bulkhead connector thing too--using milspec stuff would be SO nice. One turn and click and the whole thing is out of the car. Unfortunately mine isn't that simple with its location and how many things come off of it.

My buddy is building up a 944 turbo and making a harness from scratch (the car was on a rotisserie and completely 100% stripped) so I'm planning on helping him out with that. He's already got a ton of teflon wire of various gauges and colors from me as I work at a contract manufacturer and grabbed up all of the scrap wire we had. Just need to visit digi-key, newark, etc for the crimp pins, tooling, and connectors as necessary.

This video isn't apart of those lessons but it is very informative so feel free to watch it. It talks about heat and how it affects every aspect of your car and talks about how people try and deal with it. Watching this video really kind of had me feeling like I'm on the right track with my car.

Edited by speedyquest