need arp head studs

alp247

I have an older set that doesn't have the socket (Allen) heads, and I don't know about torqueing the stud into the block with it. Did you get this from ARP? If you do this, it will pre-load the threads against the bottom of the hole in the block and increase the load on them when you torque the nuts on. The torque value on these studs (or bolts) is based upon stretching them the proper amount, and I think the preload will affect that. Since ARP is concerned with the lube used, I think they want the stud free to rotate so the stretch is between the threads of the stud. I've never heard of them backing out, so I wonder if they were properly torqued. (Including the individual loosening and re-torqueing after a full heat cycle, as prescribed.)

TM is right. Also something to definitely watch for is the head stud holes not being clean and dry before installing the studs. If you have oil in them and debris it can effect your torque measurement also. I've never heard of them loosening up on anyone when installed properly. I have a set on my car and they've never given me any issues. I'm only one man though.