Strut mount or Camber plate

mbruneaux

Basic question; does a camber plate replace the entire strut mount or does any thing need to be added or modified? I have noticed people complain about camber plate noise and GNT sells the insulators. Is that common? Thanks

Yes camber plates replace the stock mount. I haven't noticed more noise but others may have. They aren't really needed on a stock height car. But if you lower the suspension then you need them to correct camber.

The only difference I notice is that the stock one has a nice rubber piece to isolate the strut. Keeps road noise down.

The camber to me I notice more road noise.

It seems like i can feel more of the road and the solid mount carries the noise through the chasis of the car. if that makes sense.

No rubber just solid mount to chasis with camber plates.

Question from an uneducated SQ'er. What would stop a guy from using a piece of say, 1/4" rubber, cut to fit, under the mount to keep road noise down? These camber plates seem like the way to go if you need to replace your OEM mounts.

The front ones are pillow ball which are not noisy to begin with. The only issue I noticed is from assembling and disassembling the strut a few times the nylon lock nut for the strut top wore out a bit so the next time I reassemble it I will use some Loctite on the bolt. It loosened up a little so it clunks a bit right now and if you don't catch it quickly enough you can damage the strut landing or the backside or frontside of the pillow ball plate.

Yes when using camber plates you need to modify the insulators.

Mustangs from the late 90's had a nice performance urethane bushing to use. You can experiment and make your own by search and acquisition of existing aftermarket products.

Question from an uneducated SQ'er. What would stop a guy from using a piece of say, 1/4" rubber, cut to fit, under the mount to keep road noise down? These camber plates seem like the way to go if you need to replace your OEM mounts.

I've always done that, rubber won't hold up but urethane does fine, when GNT started making urethane products I gave them the idea of making "camber plate gaskets". Get them and use them between the camber plate and the body, cuts down on NVH as well as keeps dirt out.