Ive stripped two wheel lug studs....Am i just an idiot??

vanillagorilla

First let me say that the vehicle in question is not a Conquest/Starion. Its a Toyota if it matters. I needed to change the wheel lug studs as the tires were rubbing on the struts and i needed to add 10mm spacers. It seems so simple but i have messed up the end of two of the threads and am trying to figure out what i am doing wrong.

Here is what i am doing:

Put the new wheel stud in place by hand. Put a washer, 1/2 inch nut, another washer, another 1/2 inch nut, then my open ended lug nut. The lug nuts fits and turns on the thread but the washers and 1/2 nut are obviously bigger then the stud and fit over the thread. At this point im taking my socket and tightening down on the lug nut until it becomes difficult to turn. I use 1/2 inch electic impact gun and turn the lug nut until it pulls the thread through. At this point everything is looking good. I then use the ipact gun in reverse to get the lug not off. This is the point that i seem to be messing up. When the lug nut comes off it seems to be messing up the end of the stud. Its just the very tip of the thread. It seems so simple i just cant get it right. Any suggestions?

Its a common misconception that impact wrenches hammer down. They do not. Trust me on that one.

Gorilla, your doing it right , I would add some anti seize or grease to the mix because that process is hard on the stud. Also , your open ended nut is much better off to not be used and instead use a longer one. A longer one is better because is spreads the load over more threads. When the thread on the nut get messed up, they in turn mess up the thread on the stud on the way off.

• Like 1

Its a common misconception that impact wrenches hammer down. They do not. Trust me on that one.

Gorilla, your doing it right , I would add some anti seize or grease to the mix because that process is hard on the stud. Also , your open ended nut is much better off to not be used and instead use a longer one. A longer one is better because is spreads the load over more threads. When the thread on the nut get messed up, they in turn mess up the thread on the stud on the way off.

You are correct about the downward motion, they hammer around, I stand corrected. You may still want to try something other than an impact on it.

Jimmy

You are correct about the downward motion, they hammer around, I stand corrected. You may still want to try something other than an impact on it.

Jimmy

Agreed

I'd use a half inch drive and no hammering

Jimmy

Yeah if you can use a breaker bar it will save you. At the Les Schwab we broke a lot of those studs and always used an impact to reinstall. The base of the stud will spin unless you hit it at first with an impact to pull it into the hole. A patient person could then put down the impact. Key word patient.

Agreed

I'd use a half inch drive and no hammering

99 percent of the time you need to at least start it with an impact. The only other option is pull the hub and press it in from the back.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

Lube the threads and find a longer correct thread nut like JW suggested. Impact wrench is fine for the task if you have everything else as it should be. After all, how do you think they tighten your lugnuts at the dealership or other service center?

BC_99

If the "spacer" nuts you are using aren't quite a bit larger than the acorn on the actual lug nut, sometimes they will get gnarled up and pull threads as you remove the lug nut. I always use a sacrificial lug nut for this process also, just because of that.

Last time I broke studs, I removed the hub and pressed them in. A lot more work but the 100% correct way to do it. These cars are old so it'd be a great opportunity to put fresh grease in the bearings as well.

Kane

I appreciate everyones help/suggestions. Just wanted to followup with what worked for me incase it could help others.

I believe i was strpping the new studs because i was using an old lug nut more than once to "pull" the new studs through. I would suggest to anyone who wants to put longer studs in to purchase a few addtional and a set of new lug nuts. Use the old lug nuts to "pull" one stud through then toss it. Lubrication as mentioned by others helped as well.