Intake manifold upgrade

roman88

hello guys!

my brother and i are thinking of upgrading our intakes on my 88 and his 87. I remember reading something about being able to use a Hyundai intake manifold because it is a direct swap. So i have a few questions...

1) what year and what kind of hyundai is this from?

2) Is it really a direct swap?

3) if its not what upgrades or what do i need to manufacture to make it fit?

4) Will i have to do anything to my ECU?

5) anything else i need to upgrade or change in order for it to work?

6) Do you guys recommend going with that upgrade?

Thank you guys in advance

PS. My brother lives in texas so for him emissions isn't a big deal but i live in california so my only worry is smog. if you know if i can get away with it please let me know too i will greatly appreciate it.

I can't say I ever remember any mention of a Hyundai manifold working on our cars, let alone one being a direct fit. That's not to say it doesn't exist, but it must be a very old thread buried from years back.

However, it's possible you're thinking of the Mitsubishi Magna manifold. The Magnas were sold down under and they were an MPI 2.6 motor. They're not direct fit, though. They will work just fine, except the throttle adapter will need to be welded to the other side of the mani as well as the water outlet port needing to be turned. Good luck finding/acquiring one. It's very possible, but not exactly easy.

- Charles

Or the MX6 MPI intake. But you need an adapter plate to make it work.

this guy was banned here... twice...!

Nothing is a direct fit and the factory ECU won't run MPI. An MPI car can pass smog, I did it several times before my car became exempt in TX, but in CA the intake will look so much different and likely non-stock. You would be very lucky to pass a visual.

There are more intakes out their then just those two. I have a EIP RACE CANNON intake. Their was only 2 of the race cannons built but the street cannon theres alot more of. Fip intakes are out there. Chad intakes. And many other custum manifolds