What camshafts best for 4wd truck

boostinmini

Hey guys I installed a turbo on my mighty Max. I am running a Dodge Caravan cylinder head with the manual lifters... which I would like to keep.

Any cam recomendations?

Minimal boost...max 9psi.. Na pistons..stock turbo.. Mid range power rarely sees over 4000

The stock cam is probably too much for a motor that rarely sees 4000 rpm, it's already got 45 degrees of overlap. Any cam to benefit would be less overlap, maybe 10 degrees to negative overlap if you can find a grinder that will do it.

I asked this very same question way back when I turbo swapped my montero.

So first thing I learned was that there's no such thing as turbo and n/a cams. They all do the same thing.

Second is that the stock cam does a great job as is. There's a guy on here running mid 10s on the quarter mile still on a stock cam. To get any gains from a cam you have to have some sort of adjustable cam gear to degree in the cam properly. Also, most people build an engine and fuel map around the cam, just dropping one in as is will not be optimal.

Lastly, having a heavy montero to haul around, keeping the lower end torque of the stock cam helps get the thing moving very efficiently. I never have a need to go past 4k rpm, so if you don't either, the cam you have is the best cam. If you really want to mess with the cam, you can get an adjustable cam gear and degree in the stock cam to make up for any lost deck height, head surfaces, and timing chain length or stretch... But that will get marginal gains at best. Only worth it if your looking for every ounce of power for something like quarter mile times.

Don't forget to text me next week! 4.625s...

Actually, there is a different cam that is better for low end torque. Some cam grinders will have a hi-torque, low rpm range cam that would be better for a 4WD application. There was a hi-demand for them because of the many forklift 2.6 liter engines that weren't doing so well with the stock cam. You had to rev the engine more while lifting, in order to not die out.