Smelling gas again! wt....

bodhi

I put a new FPR in when I Did some small mods, my last one was leaking. Garage smells good again, last few times car has been out that fuel smell is back. I bought a kit from Dad to rebuild my TB, just such a pain in the tail to find the root of the problem. Not sure it is the TB or injectors, have to look closer. Just venting, other than that car ran great.

I had one car that leaked from the top hat. I tried everything, o-rings, smoothing out the interior, it just wept constantly. Never enough to cause a fire but being paranoid I finally just replaced the top hat itself and fixed it.

Last time I smelled gas from my car was on my 88. Just got it running a few days before so I filled the tank then drove across the street to best buy. Coming out of best buy I saw a puddle under my car. Looking under it I found the fuel filler hose was cracked and dripping fuel.

It cracked because it was origonal and I only partially dropped the tank to check the fuel pump. If you've done that recently then check the filler hose.

Did you check to see if the pump or pump damper is wet with gas? I had a slight drip from the copper gaskets not being torqued down enough on the pump which left me with the smell of gas lingering in the garage.

Fuel filler hose leak has happened to me also.

Me too. After I replaced that hose, I could actually use the lock on the pump and walk away til the tank was full. It was a PITA before that trying to keep the fuel pumping manually.

Anyone have a size for that o ring? Or a place to get one?

I had a starion as a kid, the tires were bald, brakes were bad, smelled like gas and I had no money so I drove it for years that way......This time around it is nice to have a well running car and the internet with sites like this for help.

Edited by bodhi