clear/lacquer coating sanblasted aluminum?

Mech

so i sandblasted an aluminum part today, sprayed some clear coat on it.....looks nice, but it came out darker than the original unfinished aluminum....like a gray color.

how can i keep the bright/light look of the original aluminum after sand blasting it? the metal is just too tarnished to get the look i want just by cleaning it....tried that. suppose could just paint it a color that matches it....but seems silly to do all that when it i get the look i want by sanblasting it...

yea, after sandblasting, sand up to 1500 grit. 2000 even. Then polish. the smoother it is the shinier it will get from the polish.

Aluminum is a soft metal so it pretty easy to polish. You can make it look like chrome with not too much effort. Not the best pic but this motor had more gloss than the chrome front fender. And clear coating it will dull the finish a little. Clean, clean, clean before spraying. I use 99% alcohol and wipe it till the cloth doesnt have any more dirt on it. usually 3x or more. Wear gloves cause the grease from your hands will make fingerprints and they will show up ... good luck!

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t563/originalmoxiecat/Mobile%20Uploads/newest%20170_zpsirqeajnf.jpg

So, you just want the "freshly blasted" look without it being easy to get dirty and greasy again? I guess you are just going to have to test some parts with different clear coats ect. Or find the right color paint. Or powder coat.

BC_99

im thinking about just painting it with rattle can that is the same color as aluminum....i have to do something with the block, but obviously wont be able to sandblast that...

gonna need a high temp paint.....not sure what to do here....suggestions?

Rattle cans are a fine short term look, but with underhood temps from any motor, coupled with the added heat from a turbo, and that stuff will be burning off a little to quickly in my opinion. I would recommend aluminum colored powder coating. I did mine yesterday in shadow chrome, but there are different shades of silver. In fact, I'm almost certain I have seen a "sandblasted aluminum" color choice.

Let me check on that. Here are some pictures of some parts I've done myself recently.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/20141017_164133_zpsnd3ggrxj.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/20141017_163910_zpswj1vl0wj.jpg

BC_99

Soda blasting and sandblasting are the same process. Just different blasting media used.

I understand that but soda blasting also leaves a steel surface with a anti rust protection and can strip single layers of paint off if needed.

But soda blasting can still warp body panels if left in one spot too long. It is a safer abrasive but not 100% safe.

Walnut shells on the other hand are a safe abrasive. It will hardly affect paint at all. It's mostly for cleaning and light surface rust. It can't hurt metal surfaces. That's what I have in my blast cabinet now. It was all I had after I moved. I'm kinda disappointed with it because I need a harsher abrasive. It wont remove the scale from rusty parts.

Glass beads are also an abrasive that brings out the shine of the base metal. It takes alot of blasting to hurt sharp corners in soft metals. Any residue can also be dusted off with a brush or compressed air. I used glass beads to clean copper masks for a CD manufacturing plant. It left the copper looking beautiful.