So who is running HID headlights?

JohnnyWadd

Those GE lights look awesome... But when I saw the price... I changed my mind. $300 a light is just too hard to justify,

Also, I have ddm hid's for fog lights in my mustang. Its been 3 years and they still work... So for $45 its definitely a good valye.

Edited by Malykaii

Those GE lights look awesome... But when I saw the price... I changed my mind. $300 a light is just too hard to justify,

Also, I have ddm hid's for fog lights in my mustang. Its been 3 years and they still work... So for $45 its definitely a good valye.

What kit do you have ?

i still have 6k in the fogs, but after one year of limited use and the ebay kits going out i went back to H4 sylvania zxe bulbs in the autopal housings. i tried the more expensive lifetime warranty kits, it lasted a year... i'm done with HID :P

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s263/aiche_photos/Olive/h4z_zpsde64e808.jpg

unless someone can convince me of a kit that will last :unsure:

I've used Xentec kits in my Vette for three years, just had to replace a ballast last month but that's a pretty good run. I have them in the lows and the highs, aftermarket projector kit. Been wanting to do the Starion for a while and the LED's are tempting, but c'mon $600 for headlights is a bit much. HID's are so cheap and the ballasts are like $15 now so it's almost a no brainer.

Ya very bright I had some of those 100 watt ones once. I was going to try those in my 15million candlepower spot light that uses 35 hi/low h4 bulbs!

If you get HIDs, you need to get the H4 conversion housings that are projector-type, or else you'll have a ton of glare (and its annoying to on-coming drivers). Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7x6-BLACK-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-HID-CONVERSION-HIGH-LOW-KIT-6000K-/311121789847?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48704dc397&vxp=mtr

But they look kind of ugly vs the normal H4 conversion housings....

Edited by BoostedBimmer

If you get HIDs, you need to get the H4 conversion housings that are projector-type, or else you'll have a ton of glare

These projector type housings aren't really projectors, just a lens sitting in front of the bulb in the regular housing to look like a projector. They don't really look too different at night, kind of a style thing basically. I've heard that argument about the glare to other drivers... eh I'd rather have as much light as possible coming off the car. Screw 'em, LOL.

Edited by Fuze

I used the 7x6 ebay housings and put Morimoto projectors inside.

Trick idea, but what do you do for high beams? Or are these conventional bulbs? I could have used a set of these when I had my flush mount headlight setup.

Standalone projectors on Ebay

Edited by Fuze

Trick idea, but what do you do for high beams? Or are these conventional bulbs? I could have used a set of these when I had my flush mount headlight setup.

Standalone projectors on Ebay

The projectors are powered so you keep high beam funtionality. There is a shield that directs the cutoff of the light output

Hey needsq , do you have a picture of the those with the whole car in the shot?

Here are the pictures of the light output and the only picture I have where you can see part of the car with the lights up

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz57/almostawesome/0408121803_zps2df42205.jpg

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz57/almostawesome/478325_811595409541_1632107404_o_zps19ab30f3.jpg

The projectors are powered so you keep high beam funtionality. There is a shield that directs the cutoff of the light output

NICE. Might have to do something like this. Any pics on how you modded the housings or wiring would be a big help....thx Also, nice build documentation you've got there for the yellow car, I was checking out the pics. Makes me miss my yellow one a little.

Edited by Fuze

NICE. Might have to do something like this. Any pics on how you modded the housings or wiring would be a big help....thx Also, nice build documentation you've got there for the yellow car, I was checking out the pics. Makes me miss my yellow one a little.

Thanks I need to update that, its blue now with some other things. The system is actually all plug and play. the Morimoto Mini projectors screw into the H4 housing on the ebay lights. All the harnesses plug in to the factory plug and I ran an aditional fused wire from the battery to the ballasts. I will look for another piture with all the wires from my last set of lights on my truck. The same idea just four projectors vice two.

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz57/almostawesome/20131217_192301_zpsdb64ac61.jpg

Here is a picture of the lights that were in my truck. Wiring was the same except there were four projectors and four ballasts. In a nutshell, your current harness plugs up to harness on the bottom to tell the system when to use high/low beams and the power comes from the battery. I used the retrofitsource.com and hidplanet.com for info and parts.