1986- MY ---> 1987+ MY Alternator swap?

Coke

On my '86, I have a T style pigtail on my alternator. In 1987, they went to a rectangular pigtail. Can I just swap the pigtail and install an 87+ alternator, or is there a lot more involved in converting? I want to run a higher amperage alternator but no one makes one with the older T style socket.

Thanks.

Justin

Edited by Coke

http://m.ebay.com/orderDetails?itemId=350414722641&txnId=583235952022

So yes, you can cut and splice too. I just bought that for myself.

Your alternator options include... The eBay $100 Hyundai hybrid alternator with adaptor plug for 100amps. The fwd alternators also bolt up. They are t style plugs (hence im using above adaptor) , are bigger and run cooler, plus have a fan up front. I got tipped of by someone on 4x4wire about that. Bought a 75amp model on closeout for 35$ shipped. They also have 110 amp versions on regular price at like $80.

That harness is for my setup where I want to run a t plug alternator on my 88montero with round plug. You would need the opposite, and that seller had a bunch of stuff like that. All 2.6 alternators are hitatchi, if that helps.

Lastly, if you choose to run a new style hitatchi and don't care about splicing in, the round/rectangular socket is readily available as a Doorman help me part at parts stores. Most older Nissan and Subaru had those alternators. Easier to look it up that way with the parts guy.

Really? That sucks. Kind of weird they offer a harness to install an older alternator on a newer car, but not the opposite. I would expect more people looking to put a newer alternator on an older car.

Maybe just buy the 110amp alternator off a caravan, no need to do anything besides plug and play.

Is wss told to google something like hitatchi alternator plug or something like that. Comes right up, prob could zoom in and see the doorman part number even.

I thought it was 110, its actually a 90amp model. That's why I bought the 75 amp model, it was 25$ while 15 more amps ment $70.

It may be easy enough to just go to your local 'Pick-N-Pull', etc... and find the pigtail you need and clip it from the harness. Many vehicles use the same connectors.