Problems with Walbro and MAF-T

There are valid reasons for the resistor to be there. http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=126527&hl=resistor#entry1233917 And truth is few will ever run out of pressure with stock size injectors, a wally, the stock wiring and resistor. Assuming all is well with the suction and pressure side filters.

And truth is few will ever run out of pressure with stock size injectors, a wally, the stock wiring and resistor. Assuming all is well with the suction and pressure side filters.

I agree but I still feel the re-wire is a good thing even on stock injectors.

With the stock wiring you get voltage drop. Less voltage means the pump uses more amps to do the same job. The higher amp load is harder on the pump and can lead to a shortened lifespan. Not to mention higher amps on the small stock wires leads to more resistance which leads to more voltage drop. I think that's why many have had 255s fail on modified cars without the re-wire.

Dropped the tank again, completely rewired everything and ditched the black resistor box, put it all back together and it does the exact same thing. Frustrating. I think I'm going to just go back to my old pump because I don't know what else to do. If I pinch the return line from the regulator it spikes the pressure so could it be my regulator? Even though it was fine a few days ago when I had the old pump in? Thanks everyone

I would replace the regulator with an aftermarket unit. Chances are your stock regulator was on it's way out when you installed the pump and the new higher flowing pump finished it off.

I use this regulator on my setup.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-13129?seid=srese1&gclid=CLz31fakqL8CFUOSfgod36AAkw

Well I dropped the tank one more time, put in the original pump with the cone filter and hooked everything back up with the new wires. It seems like it was working until I went to back if out of the shop and my fuel pressure dropped to less than 10 :(. I'm very frustrated and annoyed with the whole situation. I wish I would've left it alone and ran it until the original pump quit but now I don't know what to do buy an adjustable regulator? But I also found this on the floor when I was picking stuff up..

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u560/drakelehr/D7EBB35A-CF9C-46D8-A9E5-143BA722B41E_zps3jwbdwow.jpg

Not even sure it is from this car or not but if anyone knows what it is please let me know! Thanks

I think the problem is inside the tank with the non oem filter, a cracked pick up tube or a crack in the suction hose that is letting air in to the suction side..

And how much fuel are you putting in the tank? There is about 1.5 gallons left in the tank when the cars run out of gas. So i would recommend 2.5 on top of that or about 4 gal total in the tank if it has been compleatly drained.

There is not much more than a 1/4 inch below the bottom of the pick up tube so a dented tank could be a factor as well.

Pinch the return line when you first start the car and note the pressure. Then release the pinch and let it run till the pressure drops. Then pinch it again. If it can not build the same pressure as it did on start up the problem is not the regulator.

Years ago i had a car that did this. The problem was a clogged in tank filter.

http://www.enginemachineservice.com/ems/parts/conquest/fuelsystem.php

Edited by StarquestRescue
  • Like 1

Starquest rescue was right! My new in tank filter was restricting the sucking side somehow. I set up the pump in a 5 gallon bucket and it pumped way better with my old filter so I threw it all back in and gave it a try and have been cruising around for the last two hours! Fuel pressure is right on and now I got my maft all tuned in good. Idle is right at 14.7, mid is in the 12-13's, and wot is between 10.5-11.5. Everything is running great and pulling hard! Thank you guys for all your help I greatly appreciate it!

Drake

Starquest rescue was right! My new in tank filter was restricting the sucking side somehow. I set up the pump in a 5 gallon bucket and it pumped way better with my old filter so I threw it all back in and gave it a try and have been cruising around for the last two hours! Fuel pressure is right on and now I got my maft all tuned in good. Idle is right at 14.7, mid is in the 12-13's, and wot is between 10.5-11.5. Everything is running great and pulling hard! Thank you guys for all your help I greatly appreciate it!

Drake

Thank you and you are welcome. Great looking under hood shot.