Plasti Dip options in California

So I've been contemplating plasti dip to make my SQ look less like a bucket for the time being. But it seems like with everything in California we are screwed as far as options to plasti dip.

Seems like the environmental tree huggers here have banned the sale of plasti dip in gallon form. We are only allowed to have miserable 14 ounce spray cans.

I was hoping for the stuff in gallon form so I can spray it with a gun. Seems like you don't get the same results from a spray can as you do with a gun.

Anyone out here plasti dipped their ride with cans? How did it come out? Pics? Any options for the stuff in quantities for spray gun?

I wouldnt plasti dip it if i were you. My paint buddy curses people that do it to their cars and want to remove it after. He tells them to go elsewhere to remove it. If not applied properly, your never gunna get it off all the edges of the car (ex: near window trims corners etc)

Its kind of hard to go with a thick coat evenly throughout the car. Much harder to achieve with a spray can. I would just ride it out till you save up the money for a real paint job man. That stuff can get nasty. Its like an extra time consuming step once your ready for paint.

Try thecoatingstore.com for paint. I think you'll be happy with their prices. The product is on par with House of Kolors.

I've done my 83 hood, front bumper, and a portion of the front fenders. I dipped them black with rattle cans because the paint on the hood kept cracking (previous owners had WAY too much bondo on it) and the bumper/fender are replacement parts that dont match the car paint well.

It's held up fine over 6 months or so now. The hood does show the uneven layering you typically get with rattle cans, although not quite as noticable. The fender and bumpers look really smooth however.

I've read that the dip doesnt like spit or bird droppings very well and both of these things will stain the dip permanently. If you are going to do the entire car I would recommend you use the gallon stuff for a smoother application.

I'd like to use the gallon plasti dip, it applies much more even and smoother than rattle can. BUT WE CAN'T GET 1 GALLON PLASTI DIP IN CALIFORNIA!

But I see a gang of Cali cars rolling around with matte and satin finish jobs, hard to tell if wrap or plasti dip on some of them.

If plasti dip is sprayed evenly with a spray gun, it comes out even and easy to remove. EvEn with rattle can, it can be applied well enough to remove.

the more coats the better so it's easier to peel later...the hood and roof are the hardest to do with cans....usually comes out textured when I do it...I got gallons locally but haven't used it yet...hopefully by end of summer I will

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr91/conquestador619/Snapbucket/004281B0_zpse09254f4.jpg[/url]

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr91/conquestador619/Snapbucket/45BBFF6B_zps32397e08.jpg

did like 14 coats/cans of gunmetal grey but came out lighter than I liked...it looked more like a shark color grey than gunmetal so I laid down 2 coats black on top

Edited by conquestador89

i can dipped mine with like 12 cans (didnt plan to remove) i did flat black, and same with all rattle can flat blacks, it was obvious, but if done right wasnt as noticable.

white, and purple seem easy to hide the streaks though.

im in the process of removing it now, some came off easy (where i had extra coats) some not

in door jams etc, acetone melts plastidip

Can't you just order it online?

Check out this site

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

You can't even order it online. Dip your car has some of the best options for plasti dip, I've looked over their site. But they have a disclaimer clearly indicating they do not sell gallons to California!

Anyone else think that plastidip looks worse than crap paint?, especially matte black plastidip(so many beat up cars like this). Rattlecanning the car shouldnt be an option imo, looks like bedliner all over your car, why not have a shop plastidip the car for you if thats what you want? And I always though plastidip was meant for nice paint so it can actually come off when you want it to.

But I see a gang of Cali cars rolling around with matte and satin finish jobs, hard to tell if wrap or plasti dip on some of them.

You can drive a state away and bring back illegally, you can also buy real paint with a chemical flat agent in it. Does not have to be plasti dip to be flat.

Anyone else think that plastidip looks worse than crap paint?, especially matte black plastidip(so many beat up cars like this). Rattlecanning the car shouldnt be an option imo, looks like bedliner all over your car, why not have a shop plastidip the car for you if thats what you want? And I always though plastidip was meant for nice paint so it can actually come off when you want it to.

me, i thought it was for tool handles.

i just got off the phone with these guys, cool doods ;) , they are somewhat local to me too so it looks like i'll be paying them a visit.

Awesome! I purchased the royal blue metallic from them. Hoping to paint in the next few weeks.

somwehere on this site a member used a marine grade coating for boats (maybe a gelcoat)

and it came out nice. and it handles bird poop well too.lol

and yea. plisti dip was always for tool handles

ok ya'll done got me thinking. looks like im going to have to plasti dip my car. ive got a buddy whos 18 yr old son had been talking about it for a while but i had been largely ignori9ng him. well, looks like i shouold be tasking note. seems the kid knew something i didnt. its going to be a while before i have the funds to paint my car right and it def needs something to help it out. plasti dip here i come.

who knows about the gun to spray it with from a gallon? im curious if it can be sprayed with what they cal a schutz gun. it sprays the rocker coating that goes on a lot of cars down on the bottom of the rocker panels. ive already got the gun, and may even have a gun meant for spraying those cheap spray in bedliners.

ok ya'll done got me thinking. looks like im going to have to plasti dip my car. ive got a buddy whos 18 yr old son had been talking about it for a while but i had been largely ignori9ng him. well, looks like i shouold be tasking note. seems the kid knew something i didnt. its going to be a while before i have the funds to paint my car right and it def needs something to help it out. plasti dip here i come.

who knows about the gun to spray it with from a gallon? im curious if it can be sprayed with what they cal a schutz gun. it sprays the rocker coating that goes on a lot of cars down on the bottom of the rocker panels. ive already got the gun, and may even have a gun meant for spraying those cheap spray in bedliners.

Do it. People seem to have the impression that plasti dip is crappy alternative to actual paint work. But in reality it's just a current trend, an alternative to wrap.

I see brand new high end cars plasti dipped, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguars, Land Rovers etc. And they look good because it was done right.

Besides, if it comes out not what you were expecting you can always remove it. It's not that hard to remove, I test sprayed a fender and had my 7 year old son remove the plasti dip after. He did great job, no sign of plasti dip. LOL