Steering Coupler replacment U-Joint Update #7 9/27/14 4th page

BC_99

Count me in too, good to see this happening.

I'll get one for sure, possibly 2

Thanks

Derek

Added you to the list, Thank you Derek.

And thank you everyone else as well.

BC_99

I'm in for one too , this is a part anyone owning one of these cars should be buying and if your engine is out the car even more so taking the advantage of the easy access available.

, this is a part anyone owning one of these cars should be buying and if your engine is out the car even more so taking the advantage of the easy access available.

Precisely my thoughts...

BC_99

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I figure its time for an update.

I am still waiting for at least one more steering box to disassemble for the input shaft. Then I can send that one, along with the other 2 I have sourced from my own spare steering boxes, to the manufacturer for CAD scanning. Once that is completed they will start production of that side of the u-joint. After several conversations with my contact, I have been informed that the manufacturer is willing to make that side for us. It is a fairly common metric spline that they do not have in their inventory, so it can serve the potential future needs of their customers.

They are not willing to tool up and manufacture an exact fit steering shaft side. Our shafts are pretty unique and they just don't see a potential market for that aside from this small community.

With all that said, I feel pretty confident that with some very basic trial fitting with existing u-joint parts, that I have a solution that will work just as well. It will just be a bit more work on my end. Our steering shaft end where the OEM coupler is looks like this.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Steering%20u-joint%20stuff/20140530_131530_zps3fc8ea46.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Steering%20u-joint%20stuff/20140530_131537_zps4d5efb83.jpg

It has 2 flat side that measure .465-.470 across and then 2 round sides.

The closest existing joint side that I can find is 3/4" or .750 DD which also has 2 flat sides and 2 round sides. It looks like the first image in this picture.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Steering%20u-joint%20stuff/u-jointshaft_zps30d86745.jpg

I feel confident that with some R&D I can build a fixture to accurately drill a matching 8mm hole in the u-joint to mate to the 8mm hole in the steering shaft. I will have to design and build shims to fill the space between the flat sides of the shaft and the flat sides on the inside of the u-joint. I plan to use a pin to go through the hole to hold it all together. I'm quite positive that I will go through some trial and error in this part to get it just right, but I am very confident that it will all work together when I am finished. I decided to build a or rather dissect myself a bench top fitment test area, and since I was finished with my recent part out, I took a few minutes with a sawzall and made just that...

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Steering%20u-joint%20stuff/20140529_174118_zpsb480b0af.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Steering%20u-joint%20stuff/20140529_184543_zps892de9d9.jpg

So, when I am ready to start the fitting process, I can set this up on my work bench and work on both sides of the firewall at the same time much more easily than having to use a whole car.

I have been in contact with a local member who has very bad play in his steering and he has agreed to let me use his car as the guinea pig for the first finished part to get some actual road tested miles on one of these before I release them to you guys and gals. And, I can see for myself how easily or difficult it is to install this part on a complete car with all the other stuff that will be in the way.

So, that is where we stand. I think I have at least one steering box sourced for the mock up fixture, but I need a junk cheap steering box to sacrifice for the input shaft to really get going with this. Anybody have one laying around they would be willing to send my way please PM me and we can work something out for a future discount towards a u-joint when they are ready, or I can just pay you for the box and shipping.

Let me know guys and gals if you have any concerns and I will update you all again when I have more information.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

Great work!

I can tell you guys that even at $200, it's worth it, as my custom fabbing labor + materials ended up well above that. Sizing up custom stuff is a pain while a new one can just be dropped in. Labor savings at typical shop rates adds up quickly.

Nice that you hooked up with a steering fab shop specifically. The CAD scanning & tooling can be pretty expensive on the front end. Hopefully it can be spread out with enough orders that these come back reasonably affordable and repeatable later. No reason not, unless owners don't pony up. Not a "go-fast" sexy mod/fix, but VERY important to tighten up that inch (or several) play in steering. Looks funny to the ladies driving with the wheel at 2 o'clock while going straight.

or......

http://26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/14392/bad_steering.jpg

Thanks bud. Your write up in the FAQs, coupled with the dwindling lack of usable OEM couplers was absolutely the inspiration for this project. I honestly don't even need one for my own cars, yet. However, I want an option when the time comes. I know that with a lot of members, ease of installation and being able to do it themselves in the driveway with normal tools is most important, with affordability being a close second. I think that (fingers crossed) the manufacturer is going to handle the costs of CAD programming and tooling since they want to own the tooling for use at their discretion. If I paid for it, I would own it and they wouldn't be able to use it without my permission. Much like the deal Nikofab has worked out with his airdam tooling. If they pay for it, they can make our parts and use it for other things they choose to, in the future. So, the price will likely be much lower than the original stated guesstimate. But I wanted to be able to hopefully get interest and then deliver at a lower price and gain more customers, rather than shoot low and have to sell at higher than stated prices and lose customers who really need this part. Thanks for your write up as it was definately the first applicable phase of the evolution of this project. It means a great deal for members to keep doing these kinds of things when the sources for OEM parts dry up and go away.

BC_99

Hey BC thanks again for taking the time to get something like this going. I am still down for a coupler, but if possible give me at least a month/two notice before payments might be due to get cash together.

Hey BC thanks again for taking the time to get something like this going. I am still down for a coupler, but if possible give me at least a month/two notice before payments might be due to get cash together.

I'm happy I have the opportunity to use some of my connections in racing to fill an ever widening void with our cars. I plan to get a the first couple u-joints to do trial and error with as far as drilling, and shimming and pinning and trial fitting on cars ect. and get some road test miles on one, before I pull the trigger on ordering the entire first batch. When that time comes, I will start a GP post with pre-orders being taken for a few weeks before I make the first order. Pre-orders will require a 50% deposit of the final shipped price. So, there will be time for everyone to get their funds ready and get in on this. Hopefully, the manufacturer will be able to have enough sitting on their shelf so that when I need to order them, I can have them within a week or so after the first initial run is met. As I'm sure that a few stragglers will come along here and there wanting or needing them as time goes by. Thanks for the support!

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

Little update bump on the first page, second post. I'm making progress and should have the final piece I need later this week to get shipped to the manufacturer, and then its just a waiting game until I have the first few pieces to test fit.

BC_99

cannt wait for this to happen.

I'm with ya man. I stopped by my contacts place today on the way home to drop off the last input shaft and he informed me that he's already shipped the other 2 to the manufacturer a couple of weeks back. So, they hopefully will already be rolling on the tooling. He is going to call them tomorrow for an update, and report back when he knows something. So, now we wait. I hope it won't be too long. Thanks for the interest and patience everyone.

BC_99

• 2 weeks later...

Very quick update bump. I spoke with my contact today and it sounds like good news. The manufacturer is working on the tooling and should be able to start production of some parts in a few weeks. I have already ordered 15 pieces to start. As soon as I get them I will do the rest of the fitting and trial and error stuff and get one on a car for some test miles. Things seem to be moving right along. Thanks for your patience everyone.

BC_99

• 4 weeks later...

Update again.

We hit a small bump in the road with this project. Nothing major, but the manufacturer sent the broach, for punching the splined insert, out for heat treatment, hardening, and plating and there were some unexpected delays. My contact tends to think I should start seeing some parts in a few weeks. Hopefully I will, and we can get this thing rolling. Just wanted to update everyone that has expressed interest in this product. I will update again when I know more.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

• 4 weeks later...