Pellet stove

jjohnson

Going to menards to pick up a pellet stove for the garage ,driving me nuts walking by the car every day and not being able to get to the seamingly endless list and pile of new parts that need to get done... :) cabin feaver setting in some too lol

Hope you have room for the pellets. You can easily run thru a bag a day and more thru our cold months. Basicly a 4'X4'X4' area per ton indoors. I have run one for years in my family room and love it. I grew up with a fireplace but love my pellet stove because it has a wall thermostat, so startup requires only hitting a button.
  • Like 1

Y I work 4-10s so I'll only b running it Thursday through Sundays , my grage has insulated doors and in the attic, I'm hopeing I can get some of the heat through the brezzeway into the house to help save on the propane bill

my house is insulated too...

i run a stove keeping the house at 65 in 0-25 out side air, uses about a bag a day

DON"T DO IT...... they are such a rip off for what they charge for pellets. They were so cheep when they came out now they are rediculous. I heat with wood / coal.... this is the first year I went wood only due to the price of coal (atleast the good stuff your nabor won't care or even know your burning) You can buy a wood stove for the same price, have to run the same shielded pipe though the wall / celing, and buy a coard of hard wood for ~ $200 delivered depending on where you live.

I'd love to do wood I'd build my own boiler . The issue is getting a truck up my steep drive way I don't plann on staying in this house too long, my next house I want to do that . Last winter I bought a 30,000 btu propane salimander the fumes made me sick for a week after , couldn't breathe . This was the next best option.

Pellet Stoves are the way to go, we had the worst winter here in PA in a long time, and since October i have only spent 627$ to heat my house with pellets, i used to have propane, and spent 3-4 times as much, paid for itself that year

Pellet Stoves are the way to go, we had the worst winter here in PA in a long time, and since October i have only spent 627$ to heat my house with pellets, i used to have propane, and spent 3-4 times as much, paid for itself that year

$627 is more then 2 winters worth of wood. The pellets are rediculous in price now. When you could buy the 40 50 # bags for a $1 it was fine & $4 they are rediculous.

Some people just don't wanna deal with the hassle of wood. We burned wood for 20 years in our house as the only heat source, and it's hard work as I'm sure you know. Cutting it, dragging it out, chopping it, stacking it, keeping it covered, bringing it inside, re-stacking it, the bugs, the constant checking of the stove, adjusting the air & flue, worrying if it'll go out overnight and freezing your molehills off. If you buy wood you can leave off those first few steps and it's still a hustle.

At ~$4.50/bag for pellets it's a bargain compared to $4.00/gal for oil. Something where your grandmother can press a button and have heat, load pellets in it with a pot or small scooper when it gets low, etc...

If you're a tinkerer and don't mind the work, wood is certainly the way to go. You can tune the stove to burn nearly smokeless and throw tons of heat. But if you've got older folks in the house, or people skiddish around fire, pellets are the best option before traditional oil/gas.

Edited by dmyers151

Agreed it's cheaper then oil or gas fuels..... and yes wood is allot of work. I do like to make it hard on myself ( use it as my workout) and I split with a 12# mull too. I have 8 logs left at over 1000#'s each. I would say they are a good 12' around.

Bugs should not be an issue if split outside and taken / stacked inside right away, or if stored outside and brought in as needed. Any wood with bugs just goes right to the outside fire pit for me.

$627 is more then 2 winters worth of wood. The pellets are rediculous in price now. When you could buy the 40 50 # bags for a $1 it was fine & $4 they are rediculous.

agreed my Dad uses a wood burner, but 600$ is nothing compared to electric & Propane(been there)Dont have the time to gather wood, i travel way too much for work, and its easy for the kids to take care of open bag >>> dump in

O I know all to well. Puts a big smile on my face and more nice stuff for the cars. Guy next door has same house layout, and has brand new windows to his advantage. natural gas heating for him to ~70 in the cold months can be 250 and up. For me it will hover around $60 but that's because I cook, and heat water with natural gas. Factor in wood if I buy some, and that's $40 a month so call it $100 a month to heat in winter months. Still way better then $250 and up.
  • Like 1

Most, if not all insurance companies will drop you if you have a wood burner in the garage with a vehicle in it, Might want to look into that.

That's what happened to me. State farm told me when I built the new house and acquired ownership of the barn,, long story. but I had to remove the wood burner from the barn and they wanted to come and inspect that it was removed. so I told them I was going to try and find another insurance company..... my agent of over 16 years told me good luck....hahaha I now have farmers insurance... they will cover my barn with a wood burner.

When I had a wood burner in the garage the insurance company told me my heat source needs to be able to be shut off when I leave the building. So out it came. I now use a torpedo heater and hate it. I just got a new furnace for my house so I may move the old one out in the garage.

As far as pellets, you get what you pay for. The home depot one are garbage. They are a made from softer woods and give a lot of ash and burn up faster. Getting a good hardwood pellet will be more economical in the long run because it will burn longer and hotter.