Looks like the FR-S may have some competition...

TexasQuest

IM not even arguing his Eurotrash GTI vs the FRS, BRZ, or the new Nissan. Its pointless. Apples to a rotten old banana as far as comparison goes. My point is that he has beaten this dead horse for 2 pages and working on 3. We don't care....let it go. And as for this...

That is painfully obvious. Hence the suggestion of a spellcheck....its more so the rest of us have a better chance of understanding exactly what misinformation you are talking about.

and as for this..

I daily drive a lifted 4x4 truck on oversized AT tires and have for 8+years and have never experienced this phenomenon that you are referencing. Perhaps its more a problem of driver talent and poor car control issues, rather than a vehicular equipment issue. I prefer to drive the vehicle and not let the vehicle drive me. That being said...how would you begin to know what a "real driver" would want?? Cheers<

BC_99

exactly your use to it driving it daily. Give it to someone who has a sporty good handling car and let them drive it down the HW and ask them how they feel. It feels super fast. Not saying that does not diminish over time of driving it after you get use to it. The BRZ FRS much the same. With the stock rims and tires is not to grippy and very tail happy. It gives the fake feel like im going fast drift king and that is just not enough for the price.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's going to be that simple and that is where my problem is with it. It's just not going to be reliable day in an out without fueling upgrades. Which with this hybrid system it's and unknown and your going to need something to properly control it. all of which are $ If your going with an after market company it's going to take awhile for them to really have solid years of testing. Just screams problems. Yes I have tested one of the first one's and no there is no room back there, and the back is useless space too since we don't have CD cases any more. people I have seen with big rims and tires have all been poking out and I don't think that's correct geometry nor optimal. Factor in the entrance price, and I don't think there even needs to be a competitor

http://store.kraftwerksusa.com/supercharger-systems/sport-compact/kraftwerks-brz-frs-ft86-supercharger-system-w-tuning-ecutek.html

http://jacksonracing.com/jackson-racing-fr-sbrz-supercharger-system-released/

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/1307_greddy_t518z_tuner_turbo_kit/

For running @ 10lbs, I think the most that's needed is just an ECUTek - but I agree, running 15lbs or more, that's pushing it, so I can agree with you there.

I guess to me, I never really viewed it as a race car - just as a decent tuning platform. You see plenty of people race and track Mazda Miata's, but I still don't view it as a race type car. It just has the " WEEEEEE " factor.

So I doubt Nissan will make the car look exactly like that but I'm excited to see more brz competitors.

I just dont see how a 2007 gti is relevant to this subject at all. I can talk up a nb miata being a better deal or performance investment than both of the cars but, what is the point?

FRS/BRZ are fun rwd cars to toss around. They're not geared towards 0-60mpg nor 1/4mile time. I honestly care nothing about those two stats. I believe them to be over hyped. Go out and drive a car, if you like it's feel then go for it. If not, end it.

Edited by GINASQ

lol @ your gti dude. Dont get me wrong, great cars, but no matter what RWD is better, faster and waaaaaaay more fun than FWD.

FTW!

RWD. It's the readon why I stay faithful to the StarBucket.

And on the whole new vs. used cars bit. All the big players in the car biz that I know, don't buy new cars. They buy them 1 year old or so, 30k or less. At that point, they have depreciated enough in value but still retain factory warranty.

So I doubt Nissan will make the car look exactly like that but I'm excited to see more brz competitors.

I just dont see how a 2007 gti is relevant to this subject at all. I can talk up a nb miata being a better deal or performance investment than both of the cars but, what is the point?

FRS/BRZ are fun rwd cars to toss around. They're not geared towards 0-60mpg nor 1/4mile time. I honestly care nothing about those two stats. I believe them to be over hyped. Go out and drive a car, if you like it's feel then go for it. If not, end it.

Yes. On many levels. This is a fun car, not a numbers car. If you don't find it fun, that's fine. It's also your opinion, and I don't really feel like arguing with anyone about their favorite color. Also, at what point did this thread become about the BRZ? I thought we were talking about a Nissan concept?

On topic: Did anyone actually see anything where Nissan came out and said this was a 510 successor?

I guess to me, I never really viewed it as a race car - just as a decent tuning platform. You see plenty of people race and track Mazda Miata's, but I still don't view it as a race type car. It just has the " WEEEEEE " factor.

You and I both know after having turbo cars there is very few once they get a taste that 10#'s will not be enough. (especially for me) After a real long hard think about it. I came to two conclusions as to my real hang up with the car. First is Ive been burned in the past being a front runner. Second is exactly as you put it. They need to make up there mind what they are doing with the car. IE all the messing with parts going into it, ruling out AWD to keep it super low centered, even putting non functional back space in it. If it's going to be a blend car then make it such good all around no weight in any direction, if it's going to be a sports car make it such and give it some power, if it's going to be a tuner car build it with overhead and make upgrades easy and leave space for it (or even better support and make it yourself) I see nothing wrong with the car if they are up front about it, but they do make it out to be something its not.

And on the whole new vs. used cars bit. All the big players in the car biz that I know, don't buy new cars. They buy them 1 year old or so, 30k or less. At that point, they have depreciated enough in value but still retain factory warranty.

Exactly, and even better to find super well kept, never driven, even older one's with full records. Scan them and see things have been serviced in 1/2 there time and millage. Love to see the overkill preventative, love it even more when the person hands you a well laid out binder with everything documented. That is thejz-retentive type person I want to have owned the car before me. + when you can query the black box and see the car has NEVER even been floored, maxed out, launch control used ECT then you know it's not the little old lady drove it to church story you know it's true.

You and I both know after having turbo cars there is very few once they get a taste that 10#'s will not be enough. (especially for me) After a real long hard think about it. I came to two conclusions as to my real hang up with the car. First is Ive been burned in the past being a front runner. Second is exactly as you put it. They need to make up there mind what they are doing with the car. IE all the messing with parts going into it, ruling out AWD to keep it super low centered, even putting non functional back space in it. If it's going to be a blend car then make it such good all around no weight in any direction, if it's going to be a sports car make it such and give it some power, if it's going to be a tuner car build it with overhead and make upgrades easy and leave space for it (or even better support and make it yourself) I see nothing wrong with the car if they are up front about it, but they do make it out to be something its not.

So, I never kept up with manufacturer publications, but was this Subaru for the BRZ? I know Scion, in the past, has always marketed as a tuner car.

No FWD love here? I love sporty FWDs. FWDs start to get crappy when you add power, but a low power, high fun FWD is a wonderful thing.

I even like MS3, Focus STs and GTIs, they are all great cars and if I was spending 25K on a car today. I'd probably be buying one. But that is all because I need what those cars offer; Performance and space.

If I was in the market for a 2 door car with a warranty I'd either buy a BRZ, Series 2 Genesis coupe 2.0T R-spec or I'd find a bit more change and get a 370z. More likely I'd buy a 370z as there are more used ones on the market and the new ones can be wrangled out of dealers hands a bit easier and they are a bit more car than either of the others.

It is funny how the FRS/BRZ are over hyped when none are calling foul on the MX-5 which now is really backwards for it performance. Sure I'd love to see the FRS list $20K. I think it would be awesome to see it go head to head with the Fiesta ST. It may happen, once a better version (Forced induction) of the car comes out.

^^ Whats funny is I can buy a 2013 FRS for $20k used now.

As for the Focus and Fiesta ST? I have never had so much fun in a fwd car ever in my life. I did the driving event, and got a chance to drive both spirited like on mountain runs. The Fiesta is a great around city car, but really feels high strung to me, like a skinny muay thai boxer, or a chihuahua on speed. The Focus ST felt more like a brawler, a heavy weight. It also posted faster times around the track, due to its torque.