Are cams worth it in g54b?

Malykaii

ok for get I said any thing at all but if you do not understand why you would have to lean the fuel map after installing a huge cam , you don't know near what you think you know , not said as any insult eather

would never take anything you say as an insult..... I'm serioulsy curious why this is? If anything I richened it up as it leaned out on it's own due to my guess being overlap on the extra time for the huge lift. And duration with the rollers im sure also added to it. Id rather have her on the rich side anyways just to be safe.

Edited by jszucs

maybe down low, but if your pulling fuel up top, something is wrong.

Increasing power, and reducing fuel input do not go together. If you need less fuel, its because you are pumping less air.

would never take anything you say as an insult..... I'm serioulsy curious why this is? If anything I richened it up as it leaned out on it's own due to my guess being overlap on the extra time for the huge lift. And duration with the rollers im sure also added to it. Id rather have her on the rich side anyways just to be safe.

ok you are on the right track , as an example you have your stock cam set up to run 19 lbs boost , and every thing is jam up,

now you go and install a much larger cam , that holds the valves open longer and wider , thus craming in almost twice as much air and fuel ,,now you have not made any changes to your map so the ecu has no idea you swaped cams and keeps craming in fuel, the end result is so much fuel the spark plug may not be able to burn it , it may at very high rpms but you do have to get to those higher rpms right ,,, if you do not beleave me check your air fuel ratios ,if the 02 sensor will even get hot enough to read

or simply ask Chip he went thru the same thing and had to learn my words of warning the hard way

this works in the opposite way when going from a large cam to a smaller or stock cam,,

you will have to add fuel , due to there being less fuel in the combustion chamber

any reason you cant pop a stock turbo cam into your mystery head? or at least compare numbers

still think that would make a huge difference to have an NA cam in a Turbo setup - at least to get your engine running correctly before upgrading everything else...

-Aaron

ok you are on the right track , as an example you have your stock cam set up to run 19 lbs boost , and every thing is jam up,

now you go and install a much larger cam , that holds the valves open longer and wider , thus craming in almost twice as much air and fuel ,,now you have not made any changes to your map so the ecu has no idea you swaped cams and keeps craming in fuel, the end result is so much fuel the spark plug may not be able to burn it , it may at very high rpms but you do have to get to those higher rpms right ,,, if you do not beleave me check your air fuel ratios ,if the 02 sensor will even get hot enough to read

or simply ask Chip he went thru the same thing and had to learn my words of warning the hard way

this works in the opposite way when going from a large cam to a smaller or stock cam,,

you will have to add fuel , due to there being less fuel in the combustion chamber

Interesting but as long as your keeping in ratio IE same air and fueling, and as long as your not blowing out spark or blowing though with overlap you should be fine. You would obvioulsy always retune with any changes but same ratio is same ratio IE Air:Fuel. I think really my problem is I should have went bigger with the volume I can flow.

using a good wide band will help you reconfigure your fuel map but DO not for get to save your present fuel map and any maps you make as you reconfigure , you save maps as you go so any chages made good or bad can be reversed

any reason you cant pop a stock turbo cam into your mystery head? or at least compare numbers

still think that would make a huge difference to have an NA cam in a Turbo setup - at least to get your engine running correctly before upgrading everything else...

-Aaron

My thing is I'm not looking to upgrade everything else. I'd rather shovel money into a dsm swap than a forklift motor running an electric carb.

Hence good call on the n/a vs turbo cam. I'll definitely swap one in when the snow thawes and maybe even check the degree. I won't get any fancy cam. You guys talked me out of it plenty. Thanks.

So Shelby? The n/a trucks and turbo stations have the same cam?

for all intents YES they are all the same cams sept one hyd and one solid rocker , one or two years had like a .001 to .002" lift difference , and the na fwd engine had a long shaft out the rear for the water pump pulley

unless your running an after market can

or a magna 2.6 they had non turbo na cans but with roller rockers