Hauling/towing with Conquest.

Funky Phil

This is a car we parted out two months ago and it had a serious hitch system on it... they welded to the diff subframe and bolted to the rear bumper cross bar:

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc409/motocam360/89%20Red%20SQ%20SHP/Red89SQback_zps3d7c8e23.jpg

^ Drag week?

Also curious about towing with a SQ. I've always wanted to try towing my dirtbike on a small single bike trailer with mine.

;)

Im thinkin of converting a Jetski trailer into a enclosed utility box. Need to be able to hold a couple hundred lbs.

The big issue is rear sqwat I'd imagine or at least it will be the first issue encountered. With stiffer springs you'd cut some of that. I've thought about towing with a Quest many times. Stock it has power in just the right spot.

I think you'l be more than ok with less than 1000lbs total weight. Tongue weight maybe touchy, but a decent hitch setup 200lb would probably be really safe, much more and you probably really have to worry about suspension compression. You can correct for any aftermarket spring rate increase of course, Increased rate will cut the sqwat you'd see and how much the car would be out of its static optimum.

I've seen a lot of sports cars hauling tire trailers, even S2000s and Miatas. So I think that is a no brainer that we can pull similar weights. More than that is going to be interesting. We have a truck like transmission. Correct me if I wrong but out pumpkin is based off the old truck center, so I'd expect that deal with the stresses well. But isn't our rear ratio different? That could increase force on the tranny if our rear end is longer legged.

The rest of our rear end is more complicated. How much can the hubs, CVs and hub-to-axle connections take?

Any mount will be interesting. There isn't a lot to mount to back there if you still have the stock fuel tank setup.

This is a car we parted out two months ago and it had a serious hitch system on it... they welded to the diff subframe and bolted to the rear bumper cross bar:

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc409/motocam360/89%20Red%20SQ%20SHP/Red89SQback_zps3d7c8e23.jpg

did the car have the trailer/tow lights hooked up?

Can you snap a pic if so?

I am also pulling a 14' boat next year with my new $300 beater/daily starquest.

The hitch part would be easy enough, But i was wondering what to do with the splicing into the lights.

I wouldn't think a small trailer would be an issue, if you didn't have it excessively loaded, and had things balanced over the axle.

But what about a towbar behind a 4wd Ranger pulling a Quest? Thoughts there? Too much weight to pull? Too unstable?

The big issue is rear sqwat I'd imagine or at least it will be the first issue encountered. With stiffer springs you'd cut some of that. I've thought about towing with a Quest many times. Stock it has power in just the right spot.

I think you'l be more than ok with less than 1000lbs total weight. Tongue weight maybe touchy, but a decent hitch setup 200lb would probably be really safe, much more and you probably really have to worry about suspension compression. You can correct for any aftermarket spring rate increase of course, Increased rate will cut the sqwat you'd see and how much the car would be out of its static optimum.

I've seen a lot of sports cars hauling tire trailers, even S2000s and Miatas. So I think that is a no brainer that we can pull similar weights. More than that is going to be interesting. We have a truck like transmission. Correct me if I wrong but out pumpkin is based off the old truck center, so I'd expect that deal with the stresses well. But isn't our rear ratio different? That could increase force on the tranny if our rear end is longer legged.

The rest of our rear end is more complicated. How much can the hubs, CVs and hub-to-axle connections take?

Any mount will be interesting. There isn't a lot to mount to back there if you still have the stock fuel tank setup.

The higher the hitch is, the weight will be shifted back. So it will be high. Not worried about suspension. And my drivetrain is pretty beefy..

Thanks for some good points!

did the car have the trailer/tow lights hooked up?

Can you snap a pic if so?

I am also pulling a 14' boat next year with my new $300 beater/daily starquest.

The hitch part would be easy enough, But i was wondering what to do with the splicing into the lights.

I did not see any wiring on the vehicle...

from a towing standpoint the car will be fine. u don't want the hitch higher. you want the trailer level front to back . level when loaded. if u have any questions pm me. I work at a rv dealership and install hitches daily. you could always get weight distribution as well. but if u r lookin at around a 800 to 1000 lbs should not be a problem

Sorry for the attempted hijack above. Wiring will take a little doing, but if you've got a basic understanding of cut/splice/drill you'll be fine. If it were me I'd hit up Harbor Freight and buy an assortment of grommets, then get all of my wiring tapped into. From there I'd slice a section of fuel line lengthwise, tuck the wires inside, and then tape the entire thing. Drill your hole under the false panel in the back, run your wire through, work the grommet in place, and MAYBE even silicone any opening the grommet doesn't seal. I do the fuel line/tape trick on every wiring job I do. As long as they're tucked up out of the way when not in use they hold up just fine. Pulling the trailer, you'll be fine as long as it's not overloaded or rear-heavy.

I have used my old MM many times to tow my 17 alum bass boat , and tow'd 3 or 4 Conquests with it couple times over 100 miles one way and had no real problem sept for the add'd stopping weight , but power wise it handled it very well , turbo sort of act'd like a cruise control

and that was the only real problem , when pulling the boat out of the water it was hard to keep the turbo from starting to spool , but once I went auto tranny that got a heck of a lot easier to do

;)

Im thinkin of converting a Jetski trailer into a enclosed utility box. Need to be able to hold a couple hundred lbs.

Provided you bild trailer right weight should be balanced over axel of trailer and will not be adding much downforce except under braking and accel. My only fear would be it comming around on you with no trailer brake if over the load it was designed for. Why not just pile it all in the back?

well then, it's the trailer idea. Didn't someoen post a hitch on here a few years back on a car they bought that looked OEM?

You see people with little rat boxes with hitches so why not? Ive seen guys drag the tool box and tire rack trailers with 911 and 944's and a Vet going to mid ohio and Nelsons Ledges race park.... So why not a quest?

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/slowquest/019_zpseb392c24.jpg

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/slowquest/023_zpsf5c2f7f8.jpg

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/slowquest/022_zpsc26e4355.jpg

Had this loaded with about 300lbs going to PF13 this year. Car drove and stopped fine. Would be willing to sell, but shipping would be a pain.

To save trailer weight, you should look into a roof rack & basket setup. Could easily fit a set of wheels up there.

Roof rack is out of the question. Id have to load and unload everyday aswell as it would be hell getting to what I need.

Trailer is the only way. Slowquest, thanks for the pics/post. Did you build that? Ive seen a very similiar hitch to that.

Well....... I had the 300lbs on the hitch, the hatch was full, probably another 100-150, plus 2 kids in the back seat, probably 200lbs there, plus a full tank of gas, I'm guessing at least 100lbs for that, so...........................with the wife and I in it also, that's probably over a half ton of weight in it. It was definitely squatting.

I believe with some adjustable coil overs and a well though out trailer load, it would be more than manageable.