ok Mopar 360V8 or build up a g54

ghinckley68

I have the 360 out of my truck its the quisi magum motor that has roller lifters and all the rest but a throtle body and the no magunum heads.

so bulid it and put in my quest or the g54 already decided on a T56 and a Dana44 IRS with inborad discs.

Eh, I vote 4g54b if you know how to work on them and modify them. That 265 is probably break horsepower with some mods I figure. To get quite a bit of power out of the 360 I think it would require more work then the same amount from the 4g. That is unless you are scared of wiring :D

I would go 4g but that's just me.

if I recall right the older 360 exh manifolds would swap sides making them face forward, simple to plum them to gather for a single turbo and back down the one side

carb's are for woossees LOL

Yep that's the way to do it. Don't rear mount them.... if your crying about plumbing now, do you really want to run all that same plumbing under the car and to the back? The 3" barly fits if you plan to lower any, let alone all the pipes for rear mount turbos.

Personaly the V8 is pretty much dead to me. You can make sick power with 4 cyl now. I also say go 4g there is no reason to throw all the weight of a V8 in something that will make more power with a 4 cyl.

A 400hp V8 will produce much more usable power than a 400hp turbo I4. Like low end torque.

In my opinion it all depends on your goals for the car. For a sweet street car that you take to the track every once in a while, around 300hp, just stick with the G54. It's cheaper and much easier to get it to that power level than doing a full motor swap.

For pure cool factor, or a more powerful street machine that will see more track duty swap in a built V8. 400-500hp is no sweat for a properly built SBM.

All out racecars are a different matter. Powerplant doesn't matter very much at that point, it just comes down to how much you want to spend. Quickest and cheapest at that point would probably be a 2JZ.

A 400hp V8 will produce much more usable power than a 400hp turbo I4. Like low end torque.

????? You do konw you can build stuff to make power in a specific range right? You could easily build a V8 that would be out perfromed by a stock 4 cyl down low or up high and vica verca.

????? You do konw you can build stuff to make power in a specific range right? You could easily build a V8 that would be out perfromed by a stock 4 cyl down low or up high and vica verca.

True, but I assume we're talking about a street car here. Getting a 400hp inline 4 to create the same amount of torque as a 400hp V8 in the low RPM band would be rather more difficult and expensive. I'm not trying to start a 4 banger versus vee fight, I'm just saying that larger displacement engines will just about always produce more low end torque. If you compare the dyno results of these two motors

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/engine/mopp_0108_dyno_testing_small_block_intakes/dyno_numbers.html

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0209tur_dyno_cell_mitsubishi_galant/photo_09.html#photo_09.html?&_suid=13861977774490402237866839808

You can see the SBM produces twice the amount of torque as the 4G63 at 3,000rpm, while both the motors have a similar peak HP and TQ. As the old adage goes, there's no replacement for displacement.

Edited by Starfyter

True, but I assume we're talking about a street car here. Getting a 400hp inline 4 to create the same amount of torque as a 400hp V8 in the low RPM band would be rather more difficult and expensive. I'm not trying to start a 4 banger versus vee fight, I'm just saying that larger displacement engines will just about always produce more low end torque. If you compare the dyno results of these two motors

http://www.moparmusc...no_numbers.html

http://www.turbomaga...402237866839808

You can see the SBM produces twice the amount of torque as the 4G63 at 3,000rpm, while both the motors have a similar peak HP and TQ. As the old adage goes, there's no replacement for displacement.

The stock 4g63 was not made for torq though. Compare to a inline 4 made for torq. As for the price..... it's really not that expensive as you might think depending on what you pick and as long as your not trying to really push the envelope. I just did my 2.0 FSI motor and gained 100 HP and 94 foot pounds for $740 2 pipes intake and exaust, and software. Buying heads for a V8 atleast good one's, then having more work done to them is going to cost you way more then $700 In a V8 your going to have more to buy, and more that will have ot be machined and put together. Heck just a good CNC porting job on heads you already have is going to cost you more then $700

Having been around old mopars for many decades ill agree a nice built 340-360 would make this car a screamer, if thats what you want . I bought into these cars for another reason, i wanted to have a fun 4 banger that could perform better across the board in handling as well as horse power. By installing the v-8 youll have plenty of HP and torque as other members have already realized, best to ask them what suspension mods needed to be done so the car would also handle well instead of being a fast brick without brakes or steering.

yeah, because john's V8 car handeles poorly :blink:

No his car handles well, but look at the mods required to do so. Also think of the performace gains from running a light all alum V8.... but then you have a MUCH higher cost in V8. The V8 is also going to be bigger and offer less option of where the motor can be placed and how low it can be placed without major mods to firewall, cross member, and stearing parts. It's all about what you want to do with it, how far you want to take it. If your willing to sacrafice one thing for another, if your trying to make the best blend ect ect ect.

Ok well I was even wronger then I though on V8 cylinder heads. Looks like a decent head, with good valves, CNC porting, setup and ready to go is going for $1,090.75 and you need 2 of them for a V8 so $2181.50 in heads alone...... starting to not look so cost efective for a 400 500 600 HP V8

You have alot of options with the mopar small blocks 273ci-360ci, from the 273 Hi-Po, a 318 police engine, a 340 from 1968-1971 with the higher compression ratio, or the E-58 360 engine used in squad cars and a few production models. These were all higher HP engines but not 300-350 hp without some mods. So for the sake of cost, either find one that was already rebuilt and not used at a good price, and make some simple mods, or buy a 325-400 hp crate 360 for between 4k-5k and call it a day. I already know a few guys that have spent alot more on 4 bangers to make them fast and not been able to keep them in one piece. If fast in a straight line is your goal id hunt down an older 340 with the x-heads and steel crank and build it.