new head gasket

boostin20lbs

If you are running a factory or bolt on Turbo under 15 psi, Id think you will be just fine with a felpro. I know some people have had bad luck with the ajusas, but for some they never had an issue. I've had great luck with felpro and arp's personally.

My head gasket finally went im getting the head done and wanted to see which gasket had best results. Im only planing on running no more then 15psi. I have a 16g with all the hard pipes and intercooler upgrade. backed by a 1g and 3inch exhaust. idk whether I want to go with biger valves and heavier valve springs tho.

I've been happy with fel-pro. Now there are two, one lists for something like 88/89 starquests and is somewhat soft. Its a popular choice. The other option lists for 83ish starquests and the n/a monteros 88ish. (Had it on my truck and was fine) Its a lot harder. Don't know which one is better, and there are plenty of debates on this. Both work great.

Now a suggestion... if you have over 100k and the heads off. Timing time? (if never done). I recomend a cloyes timing chain and slide set. Like 50 on rock auto. Also, a chain tensioner. The beck arnley one I got was made in japan and had an actual rubber sheet, not o ring on it. Prob made by the same maker as oem for mitsu it seemed. 3$ too.

My head gasket finally went im getting the head done and wanted to see which gasket had best results. Im only planing on running no more then 15psi. I have a 16g with all the hard pipes and intercooler upgrade. backed by a 1g and 3inch exhaust. idk whether I want to go with biger valves and heavier valve springs tho.

You can get stock size ss valves from ems now, fresh springs would be a good ideal. Is the head off yet? Be prepared for it to be cracked if not.

Another thing to check when you pull the head is pull the EGR valve and clean out it and it's cavity. A coolant leaking head gasket/cracked head introduces coolant into the exhaust system and it COULD have gotten to the EGR valve plugging it up due to accumulated "coolant/exhaust" crud.

Had that happen once with a cracked head. Couldn't figure out why the OLD Broad ran like crap until the engine reached damn near normal operating temp. Cleaned the EGR and the problem went away.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

You'll get many different answers and reasons with this, just like if you asked which oil was best. IMHO if this is going to be a daily driver I'd opt for the earlier Felpro, 8770. It's cheaper, and some say it's softer which allows it to seal a little better on slightly imperfect surfaces. ARP

s are a good idea too, and while the head's off of the car you should probably check all the intake and exhaust studs to make sure they're in good shape. Regardless of which gasket you choose, you MUST retorque, no matter what the packaging says. Give the motor a couple of heat/cool cycles, then go through it again. You'll see that your initial setting will have loosened up.