1988 Conquest: 5.3-T56

R-R-Quest

How are things coming along?

Slow on the Quest. Not a whole lot I can do until I get the engine and transmission, and that will be the end of February. I've been disassembling and cleaning little by little. The weather here has been holding me back on welding and some other small stuff (I don't have a garage, so I'm at the mercy of Mother Nature). Once I get the engine and transmission, things will go a lot quicker.

I've read the entire thread. Looks like a great project. Here's an engine suggestion and some thoughts based on experience-

I've swapped a junkyard 5.3L Gen 3 Chevy V8 into a 1988 RX-7, 1988 Supra, and 1994 BMW (have since sold all three, only swapped project car left is the LT-1/280Z). I've never swapped an LS-1 into one. They are (were?) too expensive!

I used the all-aluminum L33 for the Mazda & BMW, and an iron block LM7 for the Supra. As I recall, the L33 engines were $800-900 with <30K miles, and the LM7 was $400 with the same mileage. Thanks to time passing & Cash for Clunkers, "cheap" ones are around $800 and have about 150K miles. They're great engines, and just about everything interchanges- I used Corvette or Camaro (F) accessories, and various intakes/oil pans. I used one from a Hummer H3 Alpha on the BMW (nightmare build). Generally, the truck stuff is too tall (intake) / deep (oil pan) for swap use. Truck injuectors of this era are different than car ones.

The L33 was the high-output version and was used circa 2005-2007 in extended cab pickups- Chevy & GMC 1500 Silverados. You could also look into a Gen 4 motor. Make sure you avoid the sideways-mounted (FWD) LS4, it has a different bolt pattern. An LH6 is the Gen 4 all aluminum Gen 4 engine, and was used in Trailblazers/Envoys among others. They'll run several hundred more but usually have lower miles.

Find model & year info here for engine usage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_LS_engine

Look for them at www.car-part.com. Enter the year of the donor vehicle and your zip code and you can see what they go for in your area.

If you use a 1998 computer, you can use one HP Tuners license for multiple vehicles. Since you're only doing one, you could use a later model computer.

Can't help on the trans, the T56 has always been big $. Best to do what you're doing- wait & shop.

Keep us posted.

Good stuff, Shopper. Seems you and I have the nearly the same approach. I have been on Car-Part nearly everyday for the last month or so just to see what's out there.

I was leaning towards a LQ4 or LQ9 for a while, but I am partial to the LM7 as that's what we put in my Son's 73 El Camino. With Headers, Cam, LS6 intake - injectors - rails, and a good tune, should put down around 430-450hp.

The weight of the iron block vs aluminum is not that big a deal as people make it out to be, especially if it is placed correctly. Besides, my plans are to eventually install a power-adder later, so the iron block is better; don't have to deal with the sleeved cylinders either.

-Dan

Ive just recently decided to do the 5.3 swap in my 87. Pretty much for the same reason as you, v8 on a budget. And your thread is now my inspiration. I'm definitely looking forward to this build. I'll be posting mine eventually. Keep up the good work!!!

That is a trick flywheel. I used a TKO600 behind the LM7 in my Supra. As I recall, I used an extended pilot bushing to make up the difference. One issue may be lower HP/TQ ratings for the older manuals, plus no double OD, but the lighter weight of a SQ would help to offset the former.

Yeah, I've looked into that before.

Two things that keep me from going that route are:

a) Fork vs hydrolic. Clutch fork is more simple, however, the LS series engines have no provisions for the fork setup. While a hydrolic setup is more expensive, after adding the fork setup adapter, I don't think it's that much more. There are plenty of aftermarket options out there when it comes to hydrolic parts.

B) GM didn't make many good 5spd transmissions. 4spd? Yes, they did make some good 4spds, but I would prefer a transmission with at least one overdrive.

I'm sticking with the T56 plan for now. If I was going to use anything other than a T56 it would be a 4L80E. But, I've been wanting a manual transmission in fun car ever since I sold my 82 Z28 that had a 4spd.

I found a trick to the LS style internal slave cylinder was to run a remote hose for bleeding. It takes a special fitting to do this, but it makes service much easier.

As I recall, the Supra setup used a GM truck style bellhousing and fork. I deleted my build info from 2006/07 on it after I sold the car. I went with the TKO trans for a few reasons (it does cost about as much as a T56), one of which was it enabled a cable drive speedometer and also the electrical speed output for the GM computer.

they hydo stuff is easy. I cheaped out and bought the autozone special throwout, havent had any problems for thousands of hard miles. I actually bled the whole system before I installed it in the car. Way easy. However, the willwood aftermarket master cylinder will not clear the stock strut tower when bolted to the fire wall... I, and others have had to notch and box to make it work.

However, the willwood aftermarket master cylinder will not clear the stock strut tower when bolted to the fire wall... I, and others have had to notch and box to make it work.

Yeah, I've seen the mods. Not a problem to do that if neccessary. Is this simular to what you are running?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwood-Compact-Master-Cylinder,23867.html

Various bore sizes with a 1.12" stroke. should push plenty of fluid.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a place in Dallas, TX area that rebuilds t56 transmissions offering $1999.00 without a core charge.

From what I've seen that is almost too good to be true. It's been a while since I looked but I remember $2,500 for an unknown unit.