1988 Conquest: 5.3-T56

R-R-Quest

Cuttin' is the easy part as you know. Pre-planning, measuring and having a vision is sometimes the hard part.

Now I have to fill that hole in with some 18 guage and then cut a hole in it for the fuel cell, run a couple of 1x1 boxed braces, install fuel cell.

• 3 weeks later...

For the last few weeks we've been cleaning, wire-wheeling, stripping the underside of the car to remove all grease, dirt, undercoating and paint. It has taken approximately 25-26 man-hours to do. We finished it off with a coat of primer. We're not going to paint it yet, as we still have to cut the firewall and transmission tunnel, weld in the framework for the fuel cell, roll cage, etc.

Here's a few pics of the before and after...

Painting. I like things nice and clean, easy to see. If you ask anyone that knows me, they will tell you that I'm kind ofjz; okay, a lotjz.

If I was going to undercoat it, I probably would have just cleaned and sprayed it. This car will be a fun weekend driver. It will never see snow, salt, or dirt if I can help it. If it does, then oh well. (and no, it's not a show car).

Good news....

Came accross a great deal on a 5.3 today, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. $400 and just over 100k miles out of a '02 GMC 1500; complete; intake to oil pan w/ECM.

The downside is that this will push back getting the transmission. I really wanted to get the transmission first, since it is the most expensive purchase in the build. However, this engine deal is too good to pass up.