For the brain trust: How difficult is it to find a....

Starquest_Shopper

1) Yellow manual w/ sunroof and black interior?

Most of the Yellow cars I've seen have the tan interior, few have sunroofs, and a lot seem to be automatic.

2) Ditto, in Fiji blue?

Little to no rust of course.

Another question, were these cars made in white with a black interior? I really don't care for maroon. I don't recall seeing this combo on anything for sale I've looked at in the past few weeks. Like a few here, I'm a CL junkie and search several times per day, so I can often catch new ads when they pop up. I try & post ads I see where it looks like a decent deal or an unusual car.

Third question, has anyone ever had a sunroof added? I see some generic sites for doing so, not really sure if there is anyplace around me that does so. Having a power roof like the Challenger I own does would be nice, but big $ I'm sure.

I've been looking for a roller for a future project since cash is tight right now. Not much around in the Southeast.

I should know within a couple of weeks if my car is going to sell, and at that point I'll have the funds to buy a nice (i.e. running, no leaks, with working AC) SQ or go all in on the parts for the roller project. I've been researching some interesting swap combos for more power as well as more reliability.

Thanks for any info.

Having a sunroof added is no biggie. Just make sure to go to a reputable sunroof place... Usually the same places do window tinting. Many will offer lifetime warranties against leaks too... Or at least the quality places, and that's what you want when it comes to cutting a hole in your car LOL. It's been a while since I've checked prices, but it used to be anywhere from $100-400 for a non power roof depending on size, quality and accessories. Power holes were around $800-1200. Granted that was back in the early 90's so the prices may be different now. I've been buying used good condition sunroofs out of junkyard cars since then, and putting them in myself, but I have a lot of experience cutting holes in cars... I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's never done anything like that.

Thanks for the info. My first one (in my avatar) was white. I would not mind another white one if I could find a black interior. While I know it's possible to change the interior, I'd rather find what I'm looking for up front.

One swap I have not seen is the late model GM "Atlas" inline truck engine. I started a thread in the engine swap section to do some research. It appears it's cheaper to do a performance rebuild on the stock G54 though. It's available in 4, 5, or 6 cylinders with a displacement of 2.9, 3.7, or 4.2L (earlier variants were 2.8 & 3.5, but they had some problems). This will mate to the Colorado 5 speed or the Solstice/Sky MA5 manual transmission, so no fooling around with flywheels or bell housings (at least I think so for the MA5, it may require a bell housing swap).

I have a couple of turbos left over from my Trans Am, a 60-1 and a T70. I know the T70 is too large, but I think if I put a smaller AR turbine housing on the 60-1 it would work well with the Atlas engine range, The 2.9 makes 185 HP, and the 3.7 is 242, and the 4.2 is 291. Since I'm a fan of leaving as much room as possible for a big cooling fan (I will run AC), the inline 4 has a lot of appeal, plus they can be had for little money.

Edited by Starquest_Shopper

I've seen more yellow w/ black interiors personally. Earlier this year I found a 89 5 speed yellow w/ black interior w/sunroof in the junkyard, broke my heart :( . Never seen a white car with black interior from factory, all had been swapped. Autos seem to be 50/50 ratio with 5 speeds. Fiji blue only came with black interior, no tan option.

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt259/nathanschieber/null_zps7f1becd4.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt259/nathanschieber/null_zps90d1c592.jpg

I found one!! Traded a Durango for it.

Yeah.. a majority of yellow cars came with black interior from what Ive seen.. it also seems that at least 50% of em were automatics, it seems a lot of times yellow cars that pop up tend to be automatic for whatever reason. I think you will have more luck finding a blue one, but you never know :)

Also, you may well stumble across a nice yellow or blue roller where the seller isn't aware of the rarity of their car, but I'd expect to pay a premium for a nice yellow or fiji, whether it is running or not.

If my car sells soon I'll let you know. The guy looking at it said he is in your area, maybe we could work something out & save some gas. <_<

I have one and am planning on removing AC. When i do i will let you know. Looks brand new too.

shouldn't be more than a few weeks before i start stripping everything off

Then again, maybe not. I need to have working AC. :(

EDIT

How are these repairs coming along?:

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=138818

Yes a lot of things were half@ssed. It runs tho. Until it sucks up trash in the tank and, well, doesn't run. Lol

AC is all there minus the lines to the condenser. Just needs those 2 lines and a new compressor and it will work. All the other lines look fairly new and the climate control works as well.

But my post was more of a joke. I don't think I could actually get rid of it. It really is the most fun car I have ever owned.

I was wondering about wanting to sell so soon, that's good to hear. A couple of candidates in Missouri popped up today, a blue 89 and a black 87. As usual, no pics! (and a pet peeve of ALL CAPS) :angry: I posted a reply & will see if either merits further attention.

Funny AC and GF/wife story: The future Mrs. Shopper & I were going on a road trip in my Corvair. She asked if it had AC (I had added it when I worked at a dealer). I said yes. The belt broke the day before we left. Miserable trip. Although it wasn't funny at the time, when she said "I thought you said it had AC!", I replied "It does, it just doesn't work." :P

EDIT

Speaking of pics, I forgot this one:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080609124848/uncyclopedia/images/5/57/Caps_Lock.jpg

• Like 1

Funny AC and GF/wife story: The future Mrs. Shopper & I were going on a road trip in my Corvair. She asked if it had AC (I had added it when I worked at a dealer). I said yes. The belt broke the day before we left. Miserable trip. Although it wasn't funny at the time, when she said "I thought you said it had AC!", I replied "It does, it just doesn't work." :P

Got a better one for you. It's summertime and I'm driving my SQ to my wedding on the beach. On the way there the AC idler bearing seizes and burns the belt off. I get there, get married, then my wife and I in our wedding clothes drive for an hour through 100+ heat with no AC all the way home.

I have a wife and she is used to all the cars I built for the track. Not one of them had AC. All I need is a good heater and I'm fine. If you can't take the heat, get outta the car.

I have bought a couple of cars in the Buford/Mall of Georgia area. As I recall the elevation there is about 1000' higher than here (and the humidity is lower). Beautiful country & weather at the time. My wife went on a trip up that way a few years back when all the snow hit most of Georgia- we even got some down here.

I'm sure it wasn't "better" at the time, as the saying goes it must have been true love.

It sucked then. It's a funny story now.

I have a wife and she is used to all the cars I built for the track. Not one of them had AC. All I need is a good heater and I'm fine. If you can't take the heat, get outta the car.

You can act tough all you want. But dark paint, black leather seats and 100+ summer heat and sunshine is damn miserable. Being drenched with sweat while driving is not my idea of a good time.

Where you live may have a mild climate where you don't need AC most of the time. But that doesn't mean you will never take a road trip to somewhere hotter. PF is a good example. With no AC PF is damn hot.