Replaced The Old Broads Turbo With A Rebuilt 12A. Forgot To Do Something

Well I finally replaced the Old Broads 12A Turbo that had an intermittently weeping oil seal with a rebuilt one that I had rat holed for the past 2 years. The oil seal has been intermittently weeping oil into the compressor side for the past 2 1/2 years whenever I was in prolonged stop and go traffic. When she was crusing down the interstates @ 69 to 78 MPH for hundreds of miles she didn't loose/burn a drop.

Recently we drove her to Salt Lake City and back to Atlanta. While in SLC she really started smoking at stop lights in stop & go traffic and it took about 20 miles before there wasn't any blue smoke coming out the tail pipe driving down the freeways. Coming back to Atlanta she didn't loose/burn a drop.

After we got back to Atlanta I had to drive down town in morning rush hour stop and go traffic and she started to smoke again. In fact she lost about a 1/2 quart in 60 miles of driving on city streets smoking like a steam engine. Before, even at her worst she only lost about a pint.

Anyway I felt that I was playing Russian Roulette with the engine oil levels so I got off of my old butt and changed out the turbo with a rebuilt one. This 3 (at the most) hour job took me 12 1/2 hours cuz I can only lean over the engine house slinging wrenches for about 15 minutes then I have to sit down to rest my back for about 1/2 an hour popping Ibuprofen like candy - I know it's bad for my liver but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Aleve and Advil don't work for me.

Started her up and she was purring like a kitten for about 1/2 an hour while I was burping the coolant system with no blue smoke coming out the tail pipe.

Took her out for a test drive and put the pedal to the metal up to 10 # boost and she ran like a raped ape. Stopped at a stop light on the way home and she started smoking blue smoke out the tail pipe again. Needles to say I was PO'ed!!!

Next morning I started pulling the turbo rubber tubing off and and as I expected there was a heavy oil residue on the inside surfaces. I remembered cleaning 'en out with diesel fuel and then flushing 'em out with water. Then it dawned on me that I forgot to do something that I always did the last two times I replaced her turbo. Fill the damn intercooler with diesel fuel let it sit over night and then flush her out with water and let it sit angled so that almost all of the water drains out.and then blow it out with ether and air. I called myself everthing in the book and even created some new curses.

I pulled the intercooler did the above and reinstalled it. Took her out for multiple 10# boost pulls and now she no longer smokes during prolonged idling.

I'm loosing my mind and memory!

Getting OLD IS HELL!!!!!!!!!

I wrote my tale of woe for the new guys so you don't make the same mistake that this OLD FART did. Whenever you replace the turbo for whatever reason, flush & clean the intercooler and the turbo/intercooler hoses.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

^^ LOL

Ken - save your back, if you need a helping hand, I work out in Suwanee now, and I'm just a phone call and 25 minute or less drive away. It's the least I can do for the help you and Jimmy had done in the past for me when I was learning.

Ken i feel for you my back is doing the same thing , just standing at the sink washeing dishes about kills me .

some times i have to be seated to do any work , this must be some thing new cause i never heard any old guys gripeing about their back, or maybe i just wasen't listening :)

geting old ain't near the fun i was expecting lol

Ken i feel for you my back is doing the same thing , just standing at the sink washeing dishes about kills me .

some times i have to be seated to do any work , this must be some thing new cause i never heard any old guys gripeing about their back, or maybe i just wasen't listening :)

geting old ain't near the fun i was expecting lol

You missed the day when they said "getting old ain't for sissies"

What brought you out here to SLC Ken? Good to hear the ol' girl made the drive here and back without issue.

My oldest daughter is transferring to SLC to head up the new western division of the company that she works for, Williams Midstream Gas Pipeline Company. Now instead of driving the Old Broad 875 miles to Tulsa one way, 2 to 3 times a year, she is going to have to go 1876 miles one way, 2 to 3 times a year. Now her mileage on the clock is really going to go through the roof. We went out there to help my daughter look for a house to buy.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

• 2 weeks later...
When I worked in masonry I pulled m back out bad enough to go to the doc , as he was saying to take it easy take these pain killers and that .i stopped him and asked how do I prevent pulling those muscles ? At the time pain killers were fun and all lol , but I didn't went to cause perminant damage.he said just like anay other muscle go lift weights / the machine u do revers sit ups on . Doesn't mater how old u may b u can build up weak spots. I haven't had it happen sinse. Start off slow 1 to 2 times a week, walking helps too