Can a collapsed lifter cause engine vibration?

I have a vibration from 1200rpm-2400 or so, then it gets less pronounced. It is very noticeable in that rpm range and I can feel it in the chassis and through the shifter. Its there when the clutch is in and out, both idling and moving, so I know know its not the rear end, driveshaft, or tranny. Its somewhere in the engine or flywheel.

Sure I guess it could. Is the motor stock? Balence shafts or elim? Has it had a full tuneup lately or is this maybe just a miss? New plugs? Any other info? Does it make any diffrent noises? loose power?

It happened suddenly after a acceleration run from 20-60mph. Just manual swapped the car. Poly trans mount engine mounts wouldn't just become that noticeable. Balance shafts eliminated. No new plugs or anything car ran fine for 20miles after swap. I've had some lifter tick before I didn't take care of because focused on other things. Kind of sounds close to rod knock could maybe be a miss, but goes away after 2.5k and no metal in the oil and oil pressure is good. Knock sensor is unplugged. The plug got ripped.

What does a flywheel out of balance feel like?

Edited by quickStarion
  • Like 1

i had that issue , check the tranny oil maybe low

Filled it though the shifter 1 day 20miles ago until the side fill hole leaked. Plus it happens when trans is in neutral and the clutch is pressed in.

Used stalube gl4 85w-90

Edited by quickStarion

does it do it in 4th gear? Try that, if not your input shaft bearing is on the way out.

Check you torque tube bolts. there are only 2 and they could be loose.

Why fourth? And it does it not in gear. I did also replace the input shaft SEAL.

Edited by quickStarion

Why fourth? And it does it not in gear. I did also replace the input shaft SEAL.

In 4th gear, the gear ratio of 1:1 means that the engine and the transmission’s output are moving at the same speed.

I have heard of tightly adjusted rockers causing a vibration. Bleed your lifters to see if it helps

When I bled them a year ago one had a lot of play and was really loose. I also am running a second hand fidanza what is flywheel vibration like?

well it all depends if that 20 -60 mph was all in 1 st gear , if it was it could be any thing,,

and if you know you have a lifter taping,,wwhy not fix it before you have to do a valve job and replace the cam and rocker arm

It was the top tranny/engine bolts rattled loose, thanks for your help everybody.

If so, you better recheck all the bolts. Especialy the comon one's like manifold, exaust, front cover (don't over torq them though) Might still want to check the flywheel bolts too if you did not.

If so, you better recheck all the bolts. Especialy the comon one's like manifold, exaust, front cover (don't over torq them though) Might still want to check the flywheel bolts too if you did not.

lol maybe you need to go back over every thing you have done

lol maybe you need to go back over every thing you have done

Just did that tonight. When would you recommend a head retorq for ours? Few heat cycles, after a drive? Hot or cold?

head retourqe deff before doing any boosting (too late for that I know )

do it not boiling hot but not cold eather ,, AND LOOSEN ONE BOLT AT A TIME , TOURQE IT THEN MOVE ON TO NEXT ONE IN ORDER ,, doing it once moore after 500 miles is not a bad idea