Reviving a One Owner '89 SHP 5 Speed Conquest TSi

theastronaut

You may want to send you injectors out to be cleaned. I sent six injectors to rceng.com. Out of the six I only have 1 usable set. The rest were leaking externally. Edited by tsi_tom

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to try them first, the fuel lines and throttle body were all clean internally, the fuel that came out was still clean looking. Completely the opposite of the gas tank!

I have the tank back together and ready to re-install except for a pre-pump filter. The throttle body is back on and I have about half of the vacuum lines replaced. Still need to flush the hard fuel lines and replace the flexible lines under the hood. Then tune up parts and try to start it!

• 3 weeks later...
This is a great thread, I've enjoyed reading it and seeing your work. Good job and a number of good tips for others that may do this type of work. I've used Caswell 2 part epoxy on a couple of bike tanks and never had any problem with them, but these are 5.x gallon tanks, not 19+ gallons.

• 2 months later...

I've been kicking the idea around to sell the Conquest, I haven't had time to work on it the last few months and I hate to see it just sit there. We've been super busy at work so I've got less time to work on it, and I have a '66 C10 project that I started two years ago that I really want to finish. I don't have enough time between the two of them to get either done at this rate. I thought about paying someone to get it back together but I don't know anyone locally who is familiar with the cars, and it would probably cost more than the car is worth. Or I might park it in the barn until the truck project is done, but that will probably be another 2+ years. Not sure what to do at this point.

There's a running '89 Conquest on CL for $2500 obo that's not quite as nice, but has been gone through and is driveable. With no time to work on one, it would be nice to have one already running, just detail/tinker and enjoy without doing a ton of major work.

Thoughts?

Don't do it man....I just picked up my first one and have only got to drive it 4 times since I owned it. But in the end it is a rare car worth saving and you are doing a helluva job so far. Your attention to detail and thoroughness is admirable. Our cars are basically at the same point and it's good seeing someone doing what I am doing to mine but way more meticulous in your process. Please continue brother!

Ditto what D3UC3S posted. I have a shop full of projects, one dates back to the 70's. Motivation to work on them is always cyclical. If you have the room, just hang onto it and work on it as you are motivated.

There is no guarantee the $2500 car would not develop a huge oil leak or have some other time/costly problem.

one way or another you will have to work on the quest. it is 24 plus years old.

something will eventually need to be fixed. Might as well fix it and learn as you go.

then once up and running you will know how to fix what ever new challenge arrises

if something were to fail again.

Edited by importwarrior

You guys are right, I need to keep it. I have a spot I can clean out for it so it'll be stored inside til I can get back on it. I've got two project cars, started a '66 VW Bug when I was a kid with my dad that still isn't finished (I'm 26 now), and a '66 C10 that I started two years ago that is first priority. I kinda wanted some "instant gratification" for a change... :D I'm going to look at the one on CL tomorrow, he came down to 2K own his own so I think he'd take even less. It'll be a good winter beater that I can sell next tax return season and get my money back out of it. My daily driver '64 Bug doesn't have heat and with the mods it has there's no easy way to add heat. The last two winters have been pretty chilly!

Good thinking! I get discouraged with mine being down for so long, having rot, not being perfect....but in the end it's just metal, time, and a nice learning experience. After all, this is a rare car you don't see everyday and totally worth all that to save.

Yeah I see original cars like this one getting becoming more sought after and more valuable in the future so it would be a good car to sit on. It won't go downhill any further stored inside either and it's not costing me to own it. I've already learned a lot with the tb rebuild, I'm totally new to EFI- always had carbs.

I agree with everyone. I've just bought an 89. Although it was a dd 4 yrs ago I had it up and running in a week. These cars for the most part are very simple to work on when you get used to them. Of course they will develop small problems since they are 20+ yrs old because we know its all about impossible to replace everything at once. So I say you will be happy you kept it! And good luck also!

• 5 months later...

Got the "instant gratification" I was wanting! Picked up this '87 5 speed today. Drives very well except for some steering play, no squeaks/rattles, runs smooth, and it has killer paint and interior. Like REALLY nice paint and interior. Wheels have been refinished very nicely and it has nearly new tires. I'll post better pics when the weather clears and I get her cleaned up! I'll still keep and eventually get the '89 back on the road, I like the 88/89's better and this one isn't SHP or sunroof like the 89 is.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss14/theastronaut/Random/Starquest/EB0F58C9-F866-4C5F-BAE8-C55B8988F9F8.jpg

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss14/theastronaut/Random/Starquest/05C17B85-0112-4E25-BA3A-D00ADF36D9E2.jpg

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss14/theastronaut/Random/Starquest/28F75B56-2365-4745-96B6-981D18FD8A9C.jpg

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss14/theastronaut/Random/Starquest/3CABC518-521B-484E-BDCF-726E16A2B25E.jpg

• 4 months later...

Bought another '87 this week. Found it on Craigslist for $400. Turbo was off and the compressor wheel was really chewed up so I doubt that the engine is good, atleast not the top end. Lots of extra parts in the trunk. May see how well the interior cleans up and if its acceptable I'll keep it to LS swap in the future.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss14/theastronaut/Mobile%20Uploads/image-23.jpg

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss14/theastronaut/Mobile%20Uploads/image-24.jpg

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss14/theastronaut/Mobile%20Uploads/image-25.jpg