HELP with some Starquest history....

dmdvzla

Hello people;

I would like to know, specially from the older fellow members/enthusiasts here in the forum; if anyone knows if HKS in California ever fully built some STARQUESTS back in the day when our cars were newer and this company was active designing performance parts for these cars?

If anyone knows if they indeed built some cars, and had them as official HKS cars to promote their products; I would like to know who owned them originally....and if anyone remembers which cars (color, set up, etc) .

Your input will be greatly appreciated!

I have never heard of "official" HKS Starions, but I'm sure they must have had a few demo/test cars back in the day. This was long before HKS USA came about though, it would have been the late 80's when HKS was based in Japan only. I had an HKS exhaust on my first Starion, they also had a few turbo goodies like the cast intake, and their turbo electronics were compatible and they sold install kits for the EVC, turbo timer, etc. So a demo car would probably have too many HKS parts in it, unless they were protoype parts. Still, back in 89 a Starion with a boost controller, exhaust and intake mods would really have been something different.

Anyway back on topic and it's a very good question , what i do know of HKS / Starion history is that a small performance catalog i'm sure now long out of print was available for the Starion and printed in English , maybe someone has a copy ? ,it's conceivable that a dealer would have added HKS parts to a customers car, i don't see why not and i believe Questsi had or still may have a Starion of that era with all the available HKS 80's tooning parts, i myself with the invaluable help of Harry/Intercooledflatty have a similar 88 shp project in the works using only that era of HKS performance parts to see just how far we can push this old "go fast" tech . :)

The reason I ask, is because I recently purchased another starquest that I will be under my father's ownership very soon.

The car came from California where the original owner had it for 21 years. Story goes that he was fanatically crazy about this car...and it shows!

The car has way too many components that are all HKS...and even the car has an HKS logo inside the cluster right on top of the tachometer.

This is the list of the components the car has:

HKS Down Pipe

HKS high flow catalytic converter

HKS catback Exhaust

HKS Cam

HKS Electronic Valve Control

HKS Turbo Timer

HKS F-CON

HKS SSQ Blow Off valve

Clutch Masters Carbon Kevlar Segmented Clutch With Double Diaphragm Pressure Plate

Porterfield Heated and Treated Cross drilled & slotted Rotors front

SS Lines

Suspension Techniques Sway bars front and rear

Front and Rear Strut/sway Bars

Air Mass Sensor Upgrade

Super 60G Turbo Upgrade With SS Oil Feed LINE

The car was tuned or maintained at GMGracing in california

The car is a White 89 Conquest TSI SHP....and it's truly a beauty!....I purchased it having my father in mind to keep it.

Unfortunately, my wife will not let me keep this car and my 89 black one...lol! wives!

If anyone knows who might be the original owner, that would be great!...maybe I can contact him and get more info on

what was done to it. Perhaps, this gentleman is or was an active member here

Thanks!

Edited by dmdvzla

Ok im intregued. "HKS Electronic Valve Control" Are you talking just a boost controler or are you talking this baby has variable valve control? Not that I can see VVC allowing for much with a SOHC.

Most of it looks like bolt on stuff that was avalable back in the day, and some from more present. Sounds like a solid car though.

maybe like one with all of *DM parts on it , some guys buy every thing they can lol

when going MPi would have been so much cheaper

Not when that opens up lots more stuff you can bolt on and you do.

It seems that who ever owned this car originally, was very close to HKS and built the car with the up most attention to detail and quality.

Again, If anyone may remember about someone that owned a white Quest with all these items, please I would like to know who he/she was.

Thanks!

This is the list of the components the car has:

HKS Down Pipe

HKS high flow catalytic converter

HKS catback Exhaust

HKS Cam

HKS Electronic Valve Control

HKS Turbo Timer

HKS F-CON

HKS SSQ Blow Off valve

Clutch Masters Carbon Kevlar Segmented Clutch With Double Diaphragm Pressure Plate

Porterfield Heated and Treated Cross drilled & slotted Rotors front

SS Lines

Suspension Techniques Sway bars front and rear

Front and Rear Strut/sway Bars

Air Mass Sensor Upgrade

Super 60G Turbo Upgrade With SS Oil Feed LINE

The car was tuned or maintained at GMGracing in california

Sounds like a car that was built with some of the best stuff around in the early 90's. Some of those parts were likely imported, but nothing too exotic here, most of the HKS stuff was off-the-shelf back then, it's just not around anymore or very rare these days. The SSBOV is not period correct, that came out in the late 90's. The Super 60 turbo is a dead giveaway that some of the parts came from Top End Performance in CA, they have been pushing that turbo for Starions since way back and also sold the HKS catback exhaust systems.

Ok im intregued. "HKS Electronic Valve Control" Are you talking just a boost controler or are you talking this baby has variable valve control?

EVC is just HKS's acronym for their electronic boost controllers, they still use it today.

EVC is just HKS's acronym for their electronic boost controllers, they still use it today.

Thanks kindof what I was thinking. Nothing wrong with that. Still love the simplicity of the Profect B myself.