I finally got one.

Ayyrock

After wanting one for about two years, I finally got a starion. I eventually got a job and was able to start saving money. Buying this one was quite an experience. Long story short, it was located in Visalia CA which is about 180 miles from me. The guy was desperate to sell it so he can use the money to repair his transmission for his Celica. He didn't seem to know too much about starquests in general, rather this car itself or its history. He said it was his daily and he drove it about half an hour everyday and ran fine. The car apparently was sitting for 8 years until November of 2012 which is when he started driving it. The only thing that was supposedly wrong was that the catalytic converter was clogged. So I drive out there with a couple people and take a look at it and it started just fine. Took it for a little test drive and it seemed alright. Drop the money in his hands and take off. It was fine for the first couple hours until we were about 60 miles from home. It started to smell like something was burnt and the car started jerking pretty bad at high rpms, especially while going up inclines. Also, the gears were sticking which made it hard to shift. Stopped to pull over, waited, then tried again. Started jerking again.. So we pulled over, I text him and call him, no response and no answer. Had a feeling I was never going to hear from him again.. He probably knew it wouldn't have made it home. So we wait for half an hour then start it up, drive it very slow and even though it jerked, it still made it home. Turns out the clutch burned out even though he said it was "new and shifted smoothly" and it needed a new fuel pump which caused it to keep falling on its face. Whatever. I'm happy with it and it runs and I already ordered a new clutch kit, master cylinder and slave, and bought new fluids to flush out everything. Sorry if this is long, just thought I'd share my experience. I'm still a proud new owner of an 86 starion :D

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y411/Ayyrock/IMG_20130310_112053_255_zpsb7f27a0f.jpg

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y411/Ayyrock/IMG_20130310_112603_884_zps649f8511.jpg

This is one after I finally washed her.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y411/Ayyrock/IMG_20130312_122050_301_zps0f544d60.jpg

Edited by AyyRock

I second that one phil. Still have my first Starion and it's the same color as yours (minus the additional black paint here and there) ;) awesome looking car. She'll treat you well! May leave you stranded here and there but once the little stuff is out of the way...you won't want anything else.

Good luck man!

- Charles

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I'm going through the newbie checklist little by little since I don't have the money to do it all at once :mellow: I'm going to fix anything that must be fixed or replaced before I do any type of mods. No point in modding a car that doesn't run fine while it's stock!

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I'm going through the newbie checklist little by little since I don't have the money to do it all at once :mellow: I'm going to fix anything that must be fixed or replaced before I do any type of mods. No point in modding a car that doesn't run fine while it's stock!

You are off to a great start, keep her rubber side down and enjoy the new addiction. congrats!

BC_99

Thanks again you guys.

Man that thing looks clean and did the converter have anything to do with how it was running.

No it didn't. My mechanic said the converter is fine and he thinks the jerking probably has to do with the fuel system.

congrats on the find man. The jerking, does it feel as if it bogs or hesitates? I had those symptoms and all it was just the fuel injectors needing some cleaning.

Also clean your fuel filters. i think that is explained in the newbie checklist. I haven't looked at the whole thing yet, but i plan too as i need to do a bit of that stuff myself.

Thanks again guys.

congrats on the find man. The jerking, does it feel as if it bogs or hesitates? I had those symptoms and all it was just the fuel injectors needing some cleaning.

Also clean your fuel filters. i think that is explained in the newbie checklist. I haven't looked at the whole thing yet, but i plan too as i need to do a bit of that stuff myself.

It feels like it hesitates and loses power. The other day I had to switch into the far right lane and go slow because it felt like it wanted to stop and it eventually left me stuck on the side of the street :P The motor would start no problem but once I put it into first and tried driving it, it wouldn't go passed about 20 mph. But you're more than likely right, I was thinking either the fuel injectors or the fuel pump might be it.

I'm little by little going through the checklist. I read it every now and then just for the heck of it.