Military leaving guys high and dry after discharge.

vbrad511

Yeah a few new members (recent discharges) to my dads rolling thunder chapter have told some horible stories of stuff getting deneyed like 3 and 4 times and getting told to just submit it again, ect. It's like they hope they just give up and go away / pay for it themself.

Just SAD.

A few months before I left Active duty I got a hernia during some rough 1SG PT. My choices were to be extended for 3-6 months for surgery, and recovery, or ETS and allow VA to take care of it. Seeing as I had just purchased a house, and had my wife, and my job set up, I decided to ETS, and go the VA route. Fast forward exactly 1 year tomorrow, and I do not even have an appointment yet to talk about doing surgery. Education benefits, they are on top of their game, but when it comes to medical they are WAY WAY behind. If you do not keep on top of them they will just pass you by.

Yeah, I was gonna say... our veterans have been getting screwed for generations... not just a few years. Korea, Vietnam, and now in the Gulf. Seems to me the WW2 era vets are the only ones who ever seemed to get what they were promised. Of course, maybe it was the same with them, they were just more stubborn in making sure they got what was coming to them.

Best thing to do if your gonna join the military is use the doctors and clinics WHILE YOUR IN SERVICE to get it on record. Especialy marines becuase they have this attitude that you fight till your dead and they dont use the doc's on base when they twist the sh$t outta there ankle or other such training injuries. Then when you get out out the doctors in the civilian sector are like "why are you just getting this checked out now"

Best thing to do if your gonna join the military is use the doctors and clinics WHILE YOUR IN SERVICE to get it on record. Especialy marines becuase they have this attitude that you fight till your dead and they dont use the doc's on base when they twist the sh$t outta there ankle or other such training injuries. Then when you get out out the doctors in the civilian sector are like "why are you just getting this checked out now"

semper fi brother

Edited by ghinckley68

You guys need to stop relying on incomplete news articles. The guy LEFT the service by choice. He did not retire. If you quit your job with sweet benefits, guess what......goodbye benefits.

He was apart of a great thing. If all the intel and support teams didnt do their job, he'd be dead or it wouldnt have happened. If any of them gets out before the are eligible to retire, guess what....no benefits. But hey, they didnt ACTUALLY pull the trigger. :rolleyes:

The guy's in for 16 years. He was in combat halfway around the world. He pulled the trigger on OBL. He should be taken care of no matter what. He gets nothing, but to wait until they get around to his disability claim, while he shells out almost $500 a month for private insurance. No pension. No nothing. I'm just a lowly painter but I was vested after just 5 years.

Actually they edited the article. Turns out that he's eligible for coverage through the VA, but didn't tell him. At least they're giving him something.

Edited by vbrad511