Tactical/Assault rifles....

BC_99

a short rifle is easier and quicker to change direction of line of sight with , like going from room to room clearing them as you go

or close range weapon

Sorry no offense but i spent 14years in the Corp specializing in close quarters combat, no way I would use that thing. I want to come home at the end of the patrol. The M4 is short enough.

My company went building to building clearing them out. Never took toys like that with us.

Is that thing even legal?

Edited by ghinckley68

Sorry no offense but i spent 14years in the Corp specializing in close quarters combat, no way I would use that thing. I want to come home at the end of the patrol. The M4 is short enough.

My company went building to building clearing them out. Never took toys like that with us.

Is that thing even legal?

sorry it's hard to get a clear idea of the size of the bottom fire arm ,,i was refering to a rifle not a hand gun

for example in the brush my BAR 30-06 was just too long to get a quick target sight on a deer , my 30-30 however was much easier to swing and get a signt on a deer that jump'd up,

all of these fancy rifles and auto fire guns came after my time in the army , up close and personal was an 8 shot short 12gauge 00buck or a 45

we heard talk about the M14 but it hadn't been isue'd as of the time i left

Black Talons were pulled from the market. They got a lot of bad press, some warranted, a lot not. Rumors were they penetrated vests, which is silly. But the truth is that were a ground breaking design when it cam to cause complex wound channels. When they expand they turn into a complex star-like formation with very sharp tips (Talons). There are others now that do similar things, but they were one of the first.

You still see them at gun shows and what not, the prices are very high. For a while they left a large void in the market for extremely effective anti-personnel ammo. But you can buy better now.

Winchester for all intents and purposes still makes the round under Ranger SXT moniker. Great ammo.

To be honest I don't own any guns. For too long the only time I picked up a weapon it was to kill people. So... happy with out one. Altough I do miss my m1911A1 side arm. Loved that gun.

I still have my KA-BAR and some time I carry it. More than enough protection for any thing in the civilian world.

Semper Fi

I'm currently looking at purchasing an M1191A1 from SA. It seems to be the standard so to speak. For my first officially purchased .45, would you recommend something else at this price point?

I'm currently in the market for an AR-10 or Remington R-25 or a similar variant.

.308/7.62 NATO

something that's semi-auto, modular, accurate, easy to find quality ammo for, easily accessorized, can be outfitted with a quality optic and be effective at 300+ yds.

Turborusty

lots of fire arms are capiable of being very acurate , the trick is your ability to sight the scope and repeating the sight pic each time you fire the gun or rifle ,,and that only comes with pratice and more pratice ,,

most peope forget that the position your eye is in when looking into the scope changes the actual sight pic and location of the cross hairs your looking at in relation to target , so it's a must to know what your looking at each time ,,also how to pull the trigger with out moveing the rifle

changeing bullet weight will also throw off the scope setings , example going from a 165 grain 30-06 to a 180 grain will make a huge change in scope setings

i'm certianly no expert these days but things once learn'd holds true for a long time

you do not have to use the same rifle to learn the art of holding a sight pic and trigger squeeze , i use'd a Daizy 880 air riffle

to teach my son in law how to place a pellet thru a 5/16" hole at 100 feet 8 out of 10 shots , it's all in learning how to over come the very high trigger pull weight of the air riffle , once you learn that. the trigger pull of the riffle is much less so you will not move the rifle when you pull the trigger,,also it's much cheaper to pratice with

just because your budy can hit the bulls eye at 200 yrds don't mean you can do the same with the same gun,, the scope is set for his own view thru the scope , and that changes from person to person

Wow Shelby, thanks for dropping the knowledge. Great info there man. Those are some things I will definately keep in mind next time Im out shooting.

T-Rusty, there are plenty of platforms to accomplish your goals. You can find plenty of cheapo plinking ammo that is reliable on the net or at your local gun shows. For instance, I just bought the AK pictured in the first post and it was about $600. Extra mags range from $10-12 for the plastic tapco 30 round up to $85 for the drum style 50+ round mags, I have 2 40 round bananas and 4 30 rounds standard curve mags and paid $20 each for the 40's and $15 each for the 30's. The gun has tons of options and and available add ons. even up to going with the $200 federal tax stamp and getting it machined for a fire selector switch and full auto bolt and trigger group. I bought ammo for $125 for 500 rounds of steel cased cheapo plinking ammo. So, its a great gun to just go enjoy the sport of shooting.

Now, I have a friend building my AR. I gave him the green light to spend $650-$700 building a solid platform that I can add optics, bipod, ect to. One thing to consider with the AR is they are just about all interchangable with parts, meaning if you build an AR in .223, you can get a new upper/barrell, ect and swap it to 7.63x39 or .308 or 9mm, or .22 ect.

I have located an m1919a4 near me that I am considering just for S&Gs. Its belt fed semi auto in .308 caliber. I think it would look awesome mounted in the back of my tacoma, LOL. and deifnately worth the $200 fed tax stamp and upgrade fees to go full auto with. :) Anyways I have enjoyed reading everyones experiences and opinions thus far, even if we got a lil off topic there for a minute, Keep em coming guys Thanks,

BC_99

I'm currently looking at purchasing an M1191A1 from SA. It seems to be the standard so to speak. For my first officially purchased .45, would you recommend something else at this price point?

Remington makes a nice 1911A1 at about 599. It is just like the standard issue weapon. My service weapon was actually made by them in 1944.

http://www.1911r1.co...del-1911r1.aspx

The SA i have seen have a little to much bling on them for my taste. The only upgrade i would get is a bobbed hammer.

As I said before I am really done with guns, I have not touched one since 05 so my advice is probably not all that good. lots of people who know the munition about what ever gone has over the other one.

Tell you this tough 9mm 40sw 10mm 45acp all are obsolete. Get a 5.7x28 every one is going to them even the USMC is looking in too that round.

It was meant to do one thing KILL PEOPLE and it does it very well.

Edited by ghinckley68

lots of fire arms are capiable of being very acurate , the trick is your ability to sight the scope and repeating the sight pic each time you fire the gun or rifle ,,and that only comes with pratice and more pratice ,,

Agreed. If your optics don't cost near, or more than the price of the weapon your installing them on.... ;)

Bill

BC_99 they quit doing the one time build stamps several years ago for conversion to full auto. A manufacturer can not make a new full auto, converting a semi falls here, then transfer it to a civilian. This is not the case for building sbr, sbs, or even suppressor. Fill out a form 1 and pay the tax and you can build one of those. Edited by 383chevelle

In Florida, you can own a short barreled AR-15, without a tax stamp........IF you put the short barrel on a AR-15 lower unit labeled as a "pistol". This lower unit is alot shorter than a regular AR-15 lower unit. It also does not have a butt stock, just a tube. Such a lower unit must also have been built as a pistol (with short barrel) in its very first build. After that, you can build it back into a standard sized AR or a short barreled rifle as many times as you want. BUT.......you can never use the short barrel with a butt stock, unless you get the $200.00 stamp for a short barrel rifle. I have owned both a 9mm short barreled AR-15, and a short barrel 5.7 X 28 AR-15 rifle.

Not sure what other states might allow this, but many do. Definately check with your local gunshop for their legality in your state. In this configuration it is considered a pistol, as it cannot be easily shouldered as a rifle (because of the short tube........instead of a regular length butt stock).

Many European police forces use these short-barreled rifles for their choice firearm........many times they are full auto units. I would not consider them toys in close quarters tactical situations. I have shot a full auto 5.7 X 28 PS-90 for real, and I promise you it will destroy a target in quick order. Of course, these are merely my observations and opinions.

ive always enjoyed shooting guns. Never got around to buying any until about 3 months or so ago. Since then I have purchased myself a bushmaster ar15 that shoots 5.56 rounds. has an adjustable magpull recoil stock with magpull forgrip. just recently purchased a 600 luman light for it and am getting an eotech sight within the next few days.

2 weeks ago I got myself a nice little Rugar LC9. Shot my buddies a few times before and fell in love. Nothing special on this gun just bought it for my CCW

Edited by rosengrant826

2 weeks ago I got myself a nice little Rugar LC9. Shot my buddies a few times before and fell in love. Nothing special on this gun just bought it for my CCW

I just went to my local gunstore last weekend to look at one of those. It had the Crimson Trace option on it and I really liked it. I'm probably going to wait until the gun show and the end of the month and pick one up.

Remington makes a nice 1911A1 at about 599. It is just like the standard issue weapon. My service weapon was actually made by them in 1944.

http://www.1911r1.co...del-1911r1.aspx

The SA i have seen have a little to much bling on them for my taste. The only upgrade i would get is a bobbed hammer.

As I said before I am really done with guns, I have not touched one since 05 so my advice is probably not all that good. lots of people who know the munition about what ever gone has over the other one.

Tell you this tough 9mm 40sw 10mm 45acp all are obsolete. Get a 5.7x28 every one is going to them even the USMC is looking in too that round.

It was meant to do one thing KILL PEOPLE and it does it very well.

I like that. That's what I'm looking for, something bare-bones.

understand all gun bought made thru legite dealers are record'd by the local and state police , nothing i own is on record

same as every box of bullets you buy over a set amount

first thing the gov will do is come looking for all guns on record that you own or have ever own'd unless you report'd them sold and provide'd a name for the buyer

first thing the gov will do is come looking for all guns on record that you own or have ever own'd unless you report'd them sold and provide'd a name for the buyer

They can have mine.......All they have to do is try and get close enough to take them.

When the government comes to your home to confiscate your weapons.....You know the time to fight for your rights has come ;)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308