Tactical/Assault rifles....

BC_99

I'm afraid it's too late for that in most cases Bill. Around my area and on the sites I visit for ammo ect. High capacity mags and anything AR related have tripled in cost. I was finding standard AR 30 round mags around $10 and now they are in the $25-$30 range. From what I've heard locally, One of the local gun stores was having a live auction on all of their AR rifles and selling $800 rifles for 2-3k. It's all rather discusting to see. I'm hoping I can find a couple of mags for my build before they are unaffordable.

BC_99

I'm afraid it's too late for that in most cases Bill. Around my area and on the sites I visit for ammo ect. High capacity mags and anything AR related have tripled in cost. I was finding standard AR 30 round mags around $10 and now they are in the $25-$30 range. From what I've heard locally, One of the local gun stores was having a live auction on all of their AR rifles and selling $800 rifles for 2-3k. It's all rather discusting to see. I'm hoping I can find a couple of mags for my build before they are unaffordable.

BC_99

^^yup... I was able to get 6 30rnd magpul pmags and that was last tuesday. I looked again yesterday and they were sold out at one of the places and double price at the other. Hopefully i ordered my rifle in time. I dont care one bit that i have to wait only that it will still be legal by the time it is done. I ordered hicap mags for every other gun i own that accepts them. Spent a fricken lot of money the last week. Not a trace of any 223 here other than the $1.50/round stuff either. It will be a fun scavenger hunt. I actually like situations where crrtain things are hard to.find. Im a collector so ive developed a knack for finding things :)

My favorite is an old one. 7.62 x 39. I hit more targets with this than any other one I own. Very straight and accurate. Cool bayonette too. In case he's still wiggling when I get up there. SKS

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj486/dartomotive/SKS_zpsfd1bb1f1.jpg

Oh Dartmotive...thats a beautiul rifle....

I did manage to get th inside track on some 30 round AR mags yesterday. They are a bulk purchase....so......Not sure what I need 29 of them for, but at $12 each right now, thats as good a price as I am going to find on them for awhile. I will have a few for sale at reasonable prices (not $50 each like everywhere else) when I get them, so if anyone needs a couple let me know. Make sure you are in a state where they are legal if you ask please.

BC_99

edit:

I got a slidefire stock from the wife for Christmas for my AK, Im looking forward to giving it a try tomorrow. I'll try to remember to grab some videos and or pictures while playing tomorrow. I'll update then.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/20121225_135449.jpg

Edited by BC_99

Got my AR built but unfortunately havent had an opportunity to fire it yet. Ammo is in short supply around here right now, and using $1+ rounds to sight in and test fire isnt gonna happen, so I suppose I'll have to wait until ammo gets back on the shelves and folks settle down a bit and quit panic buying everything. I did get the AR mags so at least Im set there. Oh well here are the pics. I'll have some video when I find ammo.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/20121227_164507-2.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/20121227_115155.jpg

BC_99

They aren't illegal. They are just harded to get and transfer. I can get a federal tax stamp for either of my assault rifles and have them converted to full auto. Then I could only sell them to a class 3 licensed dealer. Or transfer them within my immediate family.

BC_99

^^^I agree^^^

After Oklahoma city, diesel fuel, fertilizer, and box trucks are still legal and that killed just as many children and way more people. If psychotic people get that kinda idea in there head, they can find a way.

BC_99

They aren't illegal. They are just harded to get and transfer. I can get a federal tax stamp for either of my assault rifles and have them converted to full auto. Then I could only sell them to a class 3 licensed dealer. Or transfer them within my immediate family.

BC_99

You would still need the approval of your local sheriff or chief of police. I looked into making a SBR and that was the biggest hurdle.

You would still need the approval of your local sheriff or chief of police. I looked into making a SBR and that was the biggest hurdle.

Yes but you have to get the same approval for any legal firearm purchase, correct? Thats why they do the background check and in my area there is a waiting period for handguns, unless you have a concealed carry permit. Am I mistaken on this? I havent personally gone that route yet, and may never be able to as it seems the gun owners rights are under very serious reviews now, but talking with co-workers that have full autos, suppressors, and other such class 3 restricted firearms/accessories, its not that difficult as long as you have a clean record and take the proper steps. Any further info from what you've experienced in this, Id be interested to hear. Thanks

BC_99

From what i understand, you basically need their approval, not just passing a background check. Again, i was looking into the short barrel rifle thingfor a while but decided id rather stay off the radar. I agree though, full auto weapons arent really necessary in a non combat environment. That and they are darned expensive.

From what i understand, you basically need their approval, not just passing a background check. Again, i was looking into the short barrel rifle thingfor a while but decided id rather stay off the radar. I agree though, full auto weapons arent really necessary in a non combat environment. That and they are darned expensive.

Agreed, its not a necessity for certain. I just think it would be alot of fun. In the little research I've done, its more expense than the its worth for the sh*ts and giggles aspect. Thats why Im opting for the slide fire stock. If I like it on the AK I can get their kit for my M&P 15-22 and shoot at a full auto rate of fire, legally, with my .22 caliber AR styled rifle. I found places that sell 5000+ rounds of .22 for a couple hundred bucks. Thats alot of shooting fun for pennies per round. If I had something more suitable for the full auto Federal tax stamp, I might consider that worthy of the expense, but for now, I'll just stick with learning to bump fire with the slide fire stock.

I will look more deeply into what all is reqired to legally own a full auto gun and the proper steps it takes to make that happen. I have a friend that is a local deputy sheriff, I'll see what he has to say about it next time I talk to him.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

BC_99

Fullauto production cut off was 1985. Those are the only full autos allowed into "consumer" hands. That is why the consumer full auto market is so devoid of the more modern arms; And why they are soo expensive. I remember my friend bought an FA Cobray MAC-10 for $1000 in about 97. His M-60 was a steal at $15K (again 97). Were it legal to make you own (even non-transferable) with a just tax stamp those prices would have been far lower. Now both of those '97 prices are insanely low.

You aren't allowed to build unless of course you are a licensed builder or seller or destructive devices (IE: Sell to folks that can buy such things). Without being a licensed builder you wouldn't legally be allowed to do it. Your application for a stamp would be denied. But you could say build a silencer, short barreled shotgun/rifle with a simple tax stamp. The form will have to go through local law enforcement (Normally Sheriff) . With a license (like a class 3 builder license) you can build and also buy/import engineering samples. Such weapons are tightly contolled and you are very much a known individual.

For instance old FPSRussia is connected to a Class3 dealer. He isn't very public who he is connected to or if he himself is a licensed builder, but the AA-12s he used for example are 2 of a few that were allowed into the country as engineering samples.

Edited by Cloud81918

Good info. I know there are a couple ranges here that have full auto rental days. Spend a hondo on ammo and get it out of your system :) A SBR would have been very cool but I HIGHLY doubt the sherrif is going to sign off on it in our current state of affairs. Especially for john q public who just wants one because it would be "cool".

Renting really is the best way to go. Once you get it out of your system you realize you really don't need one unless you poop money. Some places offer some great deals. I know of one that offers free rental on your birthday. Same place also offers package deals where you can rent 5 different FAs for something like $250, including some ammo. You can do that many times over before you could come close to affording even the cheapest FA.

Some states disallow things like SBR and Silencers so even with the a way to be Ok through the Fed, you may find it is a no go. Local law enforcement is different from place to place as well.

This is per the North Carolina Attorney General:

"It is illegal for a private citizen to own or possess a fully Automatic Weapon" period.

While North Carolina technically is a state which approves NFA permits, you probably won't be approved for one unless you're a licensed manufacturer or if you have a Type 1 FFL and a range for which those full autos would be used. If your in Johnston, Wake or Cumberland County, you won't get approved, period.

See: North Carolina General Statute 14-409: Machine Guns and Other Like Weapons.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

This is per the North Carolina Attorney General:

"It is illegal for a private citizen to own or possess a fully Automatic Weapon" period.

While North Carolina technically is a state which approves NFA permits, you probably won't be approved for one unless you're a licensed manufacturer or if you have a Type 1 FFL and a range for which those full autos would be used. If your in Johnston, Wake or Cumberland County, you won't get approved, period.

See: North Carolina General Statute 14-409: Machine Guns and Other Like Weapons.

Bill

Wow, lame.

Ahhh, good info there guys. Thanks for all the input.

Bill, where'd you find that info from the attorney general? Online or another source?

Thanks again everyone....doing more poking around, I found all of the different trigger systems, for FA rate of fire. Most appear pretty hoakie, but the one that does trip my interest is the G.A.T. system. Seems like a pretty simple and easily reversable thing to play with. Any of you guys mess with those before?

BC_99

edit: nevermind Bill, I did a google search on it and found what you posted about. I read it a little differently than "Illegal Period". However it seems that a person would need alot more cause for it than "Sh*ts and giggles". So, pretty much "illegal for private citizens" it seems is the case. Good info there Bill. Thanks for that input. I think I'll talk with my buddy from the sheriffs dpt and get his take on it.

And what 89PalermoSHP says is spot on. about needing written approval for ownership from the sheriffs dpt.

(a) As used in this section, "machine gun" or "submachine gun" means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machine gun, and any combination of parts from which a machine gun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

(B) It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to manufacture, sell, give away, dispose of, use or possess machine guns, submachine guns, or other like weapons as defined by subsection (a) of this section: Provided, however, that this subsection shall not apply to the following:

Banks, merchants, and recognized business establishments for use in their respective places of business, who shall first apply to and receive from the sheriff of the county in which said business is located, a permit to possess the said weapons for the purpose of defending the said business; officers and soldiers of the United States Army, when in discharge of their official duties, officers and soldiers of the militia when called into actual service, officers of the State, or of any county, city or town, charged with the execution of the laws of the State, when acting in the discharge of their official duties; the manufacture, use or possession of such weapons for scientific or experimental purposes when such manufacture, use or possession is lawful under federal laws and the weapon is registered with a federal agency, and when a permit to manufacture, use or possess the weapon is issued by the sheriff of the county in which the weapon is located. Provided, further, that any bona fide resident of this State who now owns a machine gun used in former wars, as a relic or souvenir, may retain and keep same as his or her property without violating the provisions of this section upon his reporting said ownership to the sheriff of the county in which said person lives.

© Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class I felony

Edited by BC_99