can 255/50/16 fit on a pair of rear 8's?

Depends on the tire. I run 245's on my 8's and they are flush with the rim. If I added another 10mm to the current tire I have it would only be 5 mm per side, which isn't much.

Well a 245/45 is going to be .2in smaller than the stock tire diameter and will cause the speedo to read .7% too fast, while a 255/45 will be .2in too large and will read .7% too slow. Both of which are .4mph off at 60mph so you would have a hard time telling the difference on the gauges (speedo and tach). The only part you are going to be worrying about is the bulge of the sidewalls because they are going to look the same size as far as sidewall goes. You should look to see what the recommended and measured rim is on the tires because beyond being unsafe it will also adversely affect the feel of the tire. It can feel as though you are riding around on rubber that is low on air because the sidewall shifts side to side as you steer. Also the bulge will pinch the tread inward to the rim and actually reduces the contact patch width to the road, so you you may not even be getting the same traction that a 245 will provide, but again that depends on the measured rim width and the minimum recommended by the manufacturer.

You are asking about a 255/50/16 though so you would end up with a tire 1.1in taller overall that reads 4.8% slow on the speedo. That works out to 2.9mph at 60. That would drive me mad although a little extra sidewall in the back sometimes looks interesting especially in the drag radial style and would give the car a tiny bit more rake. Now as far as being safe or affecting handling I went to toyo's site and checked it out. The tire you are looking at in the size you specify has a recommended width of 7-9" with 8 being the proper fitment. So go hog wild. The only thing that it's going to really affect is your speedo and overall gearing slightly.

However, the 255/45/17 size which is a smaller overall diameter but a much shorter sidewall (a full inch smaller) has a recommended width of 9" which I can only assume has to do with the shorter sidewall being flatter and less capable of being pinched smaller or stretched wider and so the rim fitment may be different than a taller tire that has a rounder sidewall. The 255/50/16 is actually .2" wider than the same width in 17" so my assumption has a little ground to stand on.

Edited by nomofwd

You may not like it. The rear will be sloppy in the corners. You will have too much sidewall flex because the tire is too big for the rim. It may seem counter intuitive but a 225 on a rear 8" will outperform a 255 on the same rim.

How do I know? I've done it. I got rims and tires from a parts car that had 255 on rear 8" rims. I took off my 225 and put on the 255 and the car was sloppy and slide happy. I had to be gentle on the throttle in left turns especially or it would slide. I took those off and put on 245 tires on rear SHP 9" rims and the grip was 10x better. With the wider rims and proper tires I could push it harder in the corners without sliding.

Wider tires on the same smaller rim is only good for drag racing and possibly drifting. If you want wider tires get wider rims that fit them.

Width is important but the percentage of sidewall makes a huge difference. When you go from a 245/45 to a 255/50 the height difference is huge. With a 245/45 your sidewall height is 110mm, with a 255/50 your sidewall height is 127.5 a 17.5 mm difference. That's .68 inches or close to 3/4" that's a ton when your looking at a 16" rim.

It's your choice for sure but you may not like the look or the handling properties. But if your getting the tires for dirt cheap and your not as concerned about handling or the look than go for it. It's not a dangerous combo by any means. If you pick up the tires for a hundred bucks and you hate them, take them off, put them on craigslist for $75.00 and dump them. No worries.

Lance

I've been using 225/50-R16s on the rear my ESI-R for 23 years. No problem with handling here ;) And they look good at the top ( Lowered,) just under the rear fender lip.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I've been using 225/50-R16s on the rear my ESI-R for 23 years. No problem with handling here ;) And they look good at the top ( Lowered,) just under the rear fender lip.

Bill

Hey Cal,

Great looking car. It might just be a tropical illusion but your front rim/tire looks too far forward in the wheel well. Might be worth checking the length of your strut bar just to make sure.

2-25 in the FSM under front suspension.

Lance.

Hey Cal,

Great looking car. It might just be a tropical illusion but your front rim/tire looks too far forward in the wheel well. Might be worth checking the length of your strut bar just to make sure.

2-25 in the FSM under front suspension.

Lance.

It's Stock. Except for the mounts. (urethane) The picture was taken prior to the D2s being installed. It sits a little lower now. :D

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Beauty!

Thanks. I try to keep it clean. But, all the money was spent in suspension upgrades and the engine modifications.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I think this is the first time I saw your car Bill! Gonna hafta roll into that MT town this summer and call you out! :D

Your welcome at my place anytime :D

Bill

These are 255/50. Bought the car with them on it. I want to go down to 235 or 225

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/600191_2222938069566_104041506_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/550540_2222937429550_1997954725_n.jpg

Edited by RonnieJ

These are 255/50. Bought the car with them on it. I want to go down to 235 or 225

So, sell those tires to a member on this site and buy a pair of 225/50 R16s.

Bill