Some SQ people....

Minagera

Well, you title a thread "Some SQ people", which could mean anyone here, or anyone who's into these cars. Then you show a pic that shows a problem, and speciffically call out me Jimmy and Fanta. Well that narrows the "Some SQ people" down to 3, then it's implied that one of those 3 people are the ones who messed up.

BS section or not, my name and reputation is important to me, and I took this thread as an attack not only at me, but Jimmy and Fanta. I will not "chill out" when I feel people are wrongly trashing my reputation.

I have no clue about the repairs made on that engine or what was done to it before I got it. Knowing Jimmy, I would have to say that those repairs were not made after I had it either. Ulrichwolf told me about the car, and knew the guy who had it. I was informed the dude spent thousands trying to get the car running right, and was told it probably wouldn't take much to get it running good, and it didn't- Jimmy got it running better with a little tinkering. None of that mattered to me anyway. I just wanted the rust free body for Jimmy to put my drivetrain into. the guy I got the car from was by Houston, TX, and as I recall went by the screen name "redliner" or something like that. The car was purchased around Christmas of 06. I paid $700 for the car, so it's not like I was expecting everything to be top notch.

I sold the engine to Fanta because I didn't need it and he did. All any of us knew about it, was that it was capable of running decent, and aside from that the only info we had on the car was a small amount of info I got from Ulrich and the guy I bought it from. None of them said anything about this repair. If they had, I would have told Fanta about it.

You may not have meant to dog any of us, but it sure sounded that way to me.

Fixed it for ya Burton. Now you can stop being butt hurt about it.

Whatever..... If caring about my reputation is being butt hurt, then I'm gonna be butt hurt a lot in life. I've worked hard to build up a good name for myself, and that is important to me.

Burton, it's your fault my car's paint is all faded because you let it sit in your field for 2 years.

Signed,

Preparation H

(This post was made entirely in jest to try to lighten up the mood between Burton and minagera. Both are great guys, both need to look at this post and laugh about it. Because let's face it: if you found your head/manifold looking like that, you'd bust a gut laughing after you got over being pissed, right? :) )

• Like 1

Good lord everyone has their panties in a bunch.

When I got the engine it was like that. Ran fine for me, never had an issue - hell the issue the engine DOES have is crankwalk, and that from what I can recall was isolated down to POSSIBLY when the engine had been rebuilt, back BEFORE even Burton had a hold of the vehicle, they may have accidentally reused a worn part. Such is life. I think all Minagera was pointing out was that whomever did do this, in the past, wasn't all too thought out in the process ( be it a machine shop, garage builder, whoever. It doesn't matter ). I appreciate the noble thought some of you may have to try to defend my name, but I feel this wasn't a personal attack of me, Jimmy, Burton, Tim or anyone else involved. Just a statement of observation.

Also Frenchi, this wasn't the engine I was talking about. I was talking about the original engine my old 87 had had, and I didn't drill the head, I just cut the ears off of the manifold to the bolt hole so that we could tighten it down the exhaust manifold. Part of that problem laid in that I was trying to make one good head out of an 83 head, an 86 and an 87 head. :D ( hey, it did the job, and reliably so )

Edited by Fanta

Burton, it's your fault my car's paint is all faded because you let it sit in your field for 2 years.

Signed,

Preparation H

(This post was made entirely in jest to try to lighten up the mood between Burton and minagera. Both are great guys, both need to look at this post and laugh about it. Because let's face it: if you found your head/manifold looking like that, you'd bust a gut laughing after you got over being pissed, right? :) )

I don't know about those two guys, but I just laughed my tail off. Good job taking off the edge. I don't know minagera, but I have dealt with Burton and have nothing but compliments. Hope it comes to a clean resolution.

Cheers,

Nick

This has nothing to do with Burton or the work he did... As I understand it he didn't touch the engine, and is self admittedly not of the mechanically inclined persuasion. I have no problem with Burton, which is the same reason I drove him up a new pumpkin to Chattanooga when his started to grenade a few years back.
  • Like 1

I don't know about those two guys, but I just laughed my tail off. Good job taking off the edge. I don't know minagera, but I have dealt with Burton and have nothing but compliments. Hope it comes to a clean resolution.

Cheers,

Nick

There's nothing to resolve though. The car in question that Minagera has is my old car, that has an engine out of a car that Burton had bought, from someone who had had the engine rebuilt at one point. Literally the engine came out of one car and was dropped into another. Long story short? All mentioned parties have nothing to do with what Minagera found.

There's nothing to resolve though. The car in question that Minagera has is my old car, that has an engine out of a car that Burton had bought, from someone who had had the engine rebuilt at one point. Literally the engine came out of one car and was dropped into another. Long story short? All mentioned parties have nothing to do with what Minagera found.

coolio...all is well with the world then. i was primarily enjoying riceboyler's sense of humor...

Obviously someone didn't think of a drill and a heli-coil. I have a couple heli-coiled exhaust studs. At least it's probably fixable.

Nah they broke a stud. Tried to easy out, and broke an easy out. Unfortuently it looked to be a new T casting head bought from Mitsu if I had to guess.

I personally knew the guy that built the engine, and he was not inexperienced. This is the first I knew of this, and I'd ask him what the deal is, however, I cannot. He has since passed on from congestive heart failure.

Tim