12a to 18g

I'm looking at buying a s18g and instead if buying an 18g housing I was thinking about getting my spare compressor housing bored out to match the 18g. I've heard by a select few that this was effectively possible. Obviously at one point I would get the real compressor housing to match. But I was curious if someone could verify if the 12a housing could be machined out to work. I have a local turbo shop that will gladly do it for $35 but I just wanted some input.

Thanks,

Charles Palka

what is an s18g?. lol. i think you're getting it confused with a 16g (which has variants, including the s16g)

the 12a housing can be machined for anything up to 20g i believe which is the route most people here go. (having the stock housing machined)

s18g meaning a Super 18g. Obviously the super has to do with the turbine. But, had to emphasise what I was completely working with. But ok...thanks for the heads up. I was happy to find a shop to do it for $35! A reputable one at that!

Thanks,

Charles Palka

If you found a reputable shop to change a 12a into a 18g I will send them two of mine.

Let me know for sure.

Gen. Ironside... let me know if you get the info, as I may want to send a couple myself. Thanx P, hope all is well?

I'd be happy to let you know. I need to pick up the internals and then I'll pass on the housing to them. When I get it back and together I'll let everyone know what the outcome is and I'll post it up on here.

Thanks,

Charles Palka

Edited by nightwalkerancestery

the 12a housing can be machined for anything up to 20g i believe which is the route most people here go. (having the stock housing machined)

Nope, not gonna happen. A 20g wheel is way too big for a stock SQ housing. I have serious doubts about an 18g fitting as well.

http://fc3spro.com/TECH/TURBO/tmodels.html

My car came with a 20G in the 12A housing. Skullflare (think thats his sn) did it

You might want to check the specs on the website I posted. A 20g inducer is just over 2" in diameter. There would be almost no metal left if any to connect a hose to a 12a inlet if bored that far. Not to mention a 12a housing cannot flow what a 20g wheel can push.

My car came with a 20G in the 12A housing. Skullflare (think thats his sn) did it

the car does have a 20g on it, however it is just in a milled 12a hotside. the above posts are talking about milling out the 12a coldside to the size of the wheel, which a 20g wheel is bigger than the opening of a 12a coldside. the 12a cold can be milled to the 20g, however it will not have the face to clamp anything on

I prob wouldn't wanna bore beyond 18g anyway. But I have a place in richmond I got to price it for me. I'll look up the name tomorrow and post it. They base price off the size of the outer of the housing due to having a machine hold it while milling.

Thanks,

Charles Palka

• 2 weeks later...

Well this sucks. Delayed by work. In addition, a previous customer refuses to pay me the $180 he owes me. His phone just conveniently cut off for about 2 1/2 weeks, he conveniently gets busy seemingly only when I DO get ahold of him, and he's suddenly come down with a 2 1/2 week sickness. I know the guy personally. None are legit and I've seen it happen before. To top it all off I cannot seem to find the place that priced it for me. It was a place in Richmond, VA and I have the number however it is in my old phone which is completely unuseable. Might be able to get the contacts off by one of my cousin's stores. In the meantime I still have a couple other places to check with in an attempt to find it. I'll give you all an update as soon as I find something out.

Thanks,

Charles Palka

FINALLY!!!!!!! It took me about a week but I FINALLY found the guy again. The guy is John Cosintino (I think that's how you spell it :huh:). He has his machine shop at Mid-Atlantic Turbo's in southern Richmond, Va. He said it's $35 a housing. He said he'll need both housings and both the old and the new compressor wheels and exh turbines in order to get all the measurements.

Now, before anyone sends theirs off to the guy, I would suggest waiting for me to do mine to see how it turns out. Just one last thing to do before hand...I just need a spare exhaust housing to give him so my car isn't down :P I might have a spare one in a box in my shed. I'll have to look in a little while. If not...anyone got one they could pass on? :unsure:

Thanks,

Charles Palka

• 3 weeks later...

I had a shop convert my 12a into an 18g with an 06 hot wheel. The shop that did it is in P.A. its called Bloche turbo. They were recommended to me by some of the grand national guys. Guy was great to deal with, and that was like 6 yrs ago. Turbo still going strong.

Franco