Starter Not always turning over.

Lizzord30

I have been trying to get my starter to work well but its been pretty intermentently working and not. Sometimes will work fine and other times just click and not do anything. But I figured when I add a power from the starter to the battry (the small wire) that it will always work. But even when Its not working the starter does get a signal power, but i would guess its not getting enof amps. What do you guys think the problem could be? and how to fix it! Thanks!!

The contacts may be mucked up or burnt in your ignition switch. They're easy to remove and disassemble, but if you decide to tackle it remove it from the car and do it on a clean bench and take note of how it comes apart. It's the white portion of the switch, just takes a small phillips to separate it from the key cylinder.

mine has the same problem been trying to track it down, ill clean the contact and seems to work fine for 5 or 6 starts then click click then it eventully turns

Bad battery grounds, or the big positive wire to the starter is corroded.

Internal starter issue drawing too many amps.

Could be a burned fuse link, or a bad fuse link connection too. Even a partially burned link will conduct something.

Bad battery grounds, or the big positive wire to the starter is corroded.

Internal starter issue drawing too many amps.

Could be a burned fuse link, or a bad fuse link connection too. Even a partially burned link will conduct something.

Thanks I will look into that info, kinda make since becuse it gets power but just must have too much resistance, but like you said sometimes it will conduct.

If you think that your ignition switch is FUBAR then order a new one from Mitsu - they are still available.

For the ignition switch Mitsu part number search thru the '88 Mitsu parts catalog.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Well Replaced the ign switch and the switch works better feels more tight and had some wires that where bear fixed but didnt change the starting issue. I half fixed the Issue by using the wire that goes to the starter to trigger a relay that had direct battery power and hasnt clicked since, but I think I have a flex plate spacing issue since it still sometimes will grind :( but at lest it doesnt click lol.

i had this problem for so long on my first car , was so frustrating , the problem is not the starter or the ignition switch . first look at your fusable links if they r corroded r burnt , look at the wires , look at the one that says EGSW that means ingnition switch its the red wire in the connector .it might b burnt r no good ,it tend to get hot and melt in the connector , the wire might look good but its burnt on the inside.just pry it out and replace the wire . some car comes with the xtra red wire in the fusable links box some dont you can just replace it from the clip and the battery . {i changed starter , ignition switch and still had the problem until i chase the wires and found the problem}http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o538/nycain/IMG_20120530_160827.jpg Edited by nycain