This is why I wont buy a car with a salvage title

ucw458

Depends on why the car has a salvage title. Years ago I bought a car from an insurance auction that was salvage because it was a theft recovery but was in immaculate condition. It had the airbags stolen along with the rear seats and rear hatch. Wasn't expensive at all to replace and I had a perfect car for half the price. I actually drove it for two yeras and sold it for $2,000 above what it had cost me. If it has a salvage title due to an accident then I agree 100%. I would not touch it.

Insurance company told me that there has been $50,000 in repairs done to our Audi(a $20k repair and a $30k repair)....but I can't tell where anything was done other than a repaint.

Been a fantastic car.

I dunno, maybe they cut the roof off and replaced it? I can't imagine what would have ever cost that much.

And it does not have a salvage title.

Turborusty

Insurance company told me that there has been $50,000 in repairs done to our Audi(a $20k repair and a $30k repair)....but I can't tell where anything was done other than a repaint.

Been a fantastic car.

I dunno, maybe they cut the roof off and replaced it? I can't imagine what would have ever cost that much.

Turborusty

I'm still terrified to know what in the world they repaired that cost what a brand new Audi costs now.

I hope everyone that says they wouldn't buy a salvage vehicle has no rust on their Starquest, especially in the frame rails or bumper support, cause that just as bad if not worse, than that focus.

I hope everyone that says they wouldn't buy a salvage vehicle has no rust on their Starquest, especially in the frame rails or bumper support, cause that just as bad if not worse, than that focus.

wait, the rusty rails were not a factory option? :P

i bought a salvage honda once, didnt know it was salvage, had a clear title in WV. it was missing the bumper support (past owner had a turbo gsr in it)

i ended up trading it for my miata down in richmond VA, car turned out to be salvaged in Indiana, went clear into NY/MD/PA then clear to WV

i didnt see any damage however, probably one of the best cars ive ever drove aside from slow lol

Been a fantastic car.

Turborusty

Thats because any vehicle repaired by insurance work is supposed to be repaired to factory specs. Quarter panels are replaced, not bondo'd over. Frame rails are replaced, not pulled. That is the reason why it cost so damn much for repairs, specially to a luxury car your Audi. And the reason why you cant tell where its been repaired.

Salvage title does not always mean accident and clean title does not always mean no accidents. Some accidents never get reported to insurance or DMV, even some major accidents.

When I worked in the wrecking yard business, our major accounts were shops that performed insurance quality work. They were picky as hell with used parts. You would be amazed the lenghts they go through to repair a vehicle to factory specs.

When the cost to repair a vehicle to factory specs exceeds a major percentage of the value of the car, but its still not the full value of the car, insurance will repair the car and declare it a salvage. When the cost of repairs to a car is equal to, or close to or exceeds the value of a car, then they declare it a total loss and no repairs are performed, they just pay the owner what the car is worth.

So in other words, don't be fooled by titles and labels. Salvage is not always poor quality and clean title is not always no accident.

The Focus on that video was not repaired to factory specs. Insurance would have totalled the car, its a Focus. The cost to repair that thing to factory specs exceeds the value of the car.

Edited by louswheel01

I'm still terrified to know what in the world they repaired that cost what a brand new Audi costs now.

On an Audi, it could be front end damage with some structural damage, but no interference into the drivetrain. In other words, a minor 30 mile per hour accident would do it. Unbolt front end body damage with radiator core support damage can easily cost 20k in an Audi. The vehicle is repaired to factory specs costs alot of money mainly because of the labor involved, not so much because of the parts that were replaced.

Whoever did it, and whatever they did to it....it was a 1st class repair!

Turborusty

I'm sure it was. They certainly paid for 1st class work. Thats the beauty of going with one of the body shops your insurance recommends, top notch work and two, very important, lifetime warranty on the work performed. You cant get lifetime warranty from a mom and pop shop.

I hate to admit it, but my Z is a salvage car and is one of the most reliable cars I've ever had. I know where the work was done, and I can see that they did cut some corners fixing it, but it's nothing I can't put right later, and it's allowed me to have a kinda rare car that I've always wanted for a fraction of the price. It's left me staranded fewer times than SQs have. In fact, it hasn't left me stranded yet.

Whoever did it, and whatever they did to it....it was a 1st class repair!

Turborusty

definition

"1st class repair" :

A repair that involves new mechanical , electrical and body panels procured from a reputable source

(I.E. manufactures authorized dealership)

Not invoices saved and billed to the insurance company after the new part is returned and the damage part is replaced or reused from a salvage yard, or pounded out filled and repainted.

Albeit some vehicles such as ours is most parts are obsolete when it comes to the dealership.

The nice thing about Z's a nissan/datsun products is the dealerships still carry parts for most of them.

Been a fantastic car.

Turborusty

A friend of mine just had hail damage fixed on his SRT-10 and the bill to his insurance company was 27k. More than the truck books for, but still didn't salvage it out.

Thoes rusty rails are crumple zones!! Actualy it get more safe as it gets older the more cumple zones it has lol.

I have never seen a rusty SQ in person. Rust isn't much of a problem here unless you live on the coast.

Depending on why the vehicle was salvaged, you can sometimes get a great deal. being a Salvage title greatly reduces resale value on anything so just drive the piss out of it and sell it for what you paid years later.

Rebuilt from Salvage due to a crash is one I try to stay away from. Then again if you are looking for a deal, you probably just need something to get you from A to B and safety is not your main concern. Getting to work everyday is.

That video is interesting though. I have never seen a frame rail repaired with bondo/filler. That is amazingly sketchy and no wonder it crumpled more... That car should have been parted out and crushed.

Well i own two Honda's one is a wreck/repair and one is a salvage title. The Civic i have has a salvage title with no major accidents. The car was stolen and then found but without a motor and trans therefore making it a total loss hence the salvage title. My Del sol has a new floor, drivers rear rail, and new quarter panel as well as rear panel. Up front it has a new upper tie, bumper and new fender hood bumper... Clean title.

I can go wrap my car around a telephone pole and go home and fix and no one is the wiser, as far as the title is concerned.

And audi take crashes like a boss. There aluminum and the car is designed (like Most) to just crush and then you can just unbolt and bolt up new stuff.