Picked up a little home protection...

conquestTSIguy

Yea, but the whole point is to not even fire a shot. Once they hear you rack in a round, they might think twice :) and I actually bought this for my wife for when I'm out of town working. I've really wanted a pistol grip tactical style shotgun for her for a while and saw this today in a sporting goods store while I was doing their inventory for a really good price.

Shotgun are pretty nice for home defense. Great choice! A pump racking in a dark is sound any intruder doesn't want to hear for sure. Plus they are easy to bring on target and you can use rounds that don't over penetrate. To me this is the quality many people forget when looking at home defense. Buck shot and heavy pistol hollow points is great, until they go through you neighbors house. For a home defense shotgun birdshot will work just fine at close range and the pellets have a hard time going through a wall.

We use a Bersa .380 ACP at our house. It is small and handy. While pretty inexpensive, it is well built and hasn't had one misstep after hundreds of rounds. Since it is single stack and lower power my wife can handle it well; To me that is very important in a home defense gun. Also because of its small size the Bersa .380 ACP can be stored just about anywhere, making it great for car trips as well.

Home defense? lol. How many times has your home been broken into?

Doesn't matter, it happens to other people all the time. How prepared do you want to be IF it happens in your house?

Do you wear your seatbelt every time you drive? Why? How many times have you been in accidents where you needed it to save your life? See what I did there?

The gun for home protection is the seatbelt for when you're driving your couch.....or pillow :) You hope you never have to count on it to save your life.....but if you do, you want it there and want it to do it's job.

Turborusty

Edited by Turborusty

Doesn't matter, it happens to other people all the time. How prepared do you want to be IF it happens in your house?

Do you wear your seatbelt every time you drive? Why? How many times have you been in accidents where you needed it to save your life? See what I did there?

The gun for home protection is the seatbelt for when you're driving your couch.....or pillow :) You hope you never have to count on it to save your life.....but if you do, you want it there and want it to do it's job.

Turborusty

Amen

Its better to have it and not need it then not have it and need it...

Id sure rather be judged by 12 than buried by 6... Just saying..

^ look who is assuming also

Home defense? lol. How many times has your home been broken into?

I have a fire extinguisher too. I've never had a fire in my house.

I'm not someone wishing for someone to break in. Honestly, I'd cry like a baby if anyone forced me to take their life. But if someone was threatening my families life or safety in an immediate way I have no problem attempting to but an instant stop to that. And as I said afterward I would be a mess. It would hurt my soul, but I would have done the right thing. I will have stopped a predator from harming my family.

Ultimately, a home defense gun is made for killing people if needed, but sometimes that is what you need and nothing else will work. I hope never to need it. I'm a pacifist, but not a victim.

Edited by Cloud81918

If I were to live out in the middle of nowhere (like I use to), where everyone knows everyone I wouldn't even worry about it. But stupid people that would rather take something that isn't theirs are born every day. And if you were married and worked out of town on a regular basis, wouldn't you rather have something there for your wife and kids that let someone come in your home uninvited and destroy your life as you know it?

And the sole purpose of a gun is to kill people? the only people that believe that are the people with morbid intent. A guns sole purpose isn't for home protection either, but it sure is one of its better qualities. Just sayin ;) and it's not like I'm saying "stand by the door with this and if someone turns the handle, blow a hole through the door". This gun will be stored in my bedroom closet, which is the farhest point away from my front door. If someone goes that far with the intent to do harm to my wife, I hope she gets off a good round and takes their head off.

Edited by conquestTSIguy

If anyone doesn't believe a gun's purpose isn't for killing - animals or humans - then you really are blind (metaphorically speaking). You can use it for other things like recreation, hunting for food/trophies, ho-downs, custom "worn-look" jeans, etc. But think about it. What was it invented for? killing.

I think that if you need a gun to feel safe in your home, then you live in the wrong area.

Edited by Technology

In a perfect world firearms wouldn't be necessary, but this is not a perfect world and there are bad people, that said it's our right to bear arms for a reason. And if more people took advantage of the right less criminals would be willing to go waltzing into any house they choose. You don't have to agree with the guns existence to understand its necessity. Guns are here to stay and criminals are more than willing to use them, good citizens need to do the same.

Technology, I can understand your point-of-view. And it seems that you are anti-firearm, and I can respect that you don't believe in it. But I would rather my wife feel safe when I am not home. We have two dogs, but she has spoiled them rotten and the only thing they would do in the case of an intruder would be lick them to death. She is employeed by the Air Force, so we don't have the luxury of picking and choosing where we live anymore. We live where we are told and there is nothing we can do about it.

There are people in this world that have no other intent but to do harm to others and I would much rather my wife be able to protect herself when/if I am not home. I did not buy this gun to go out and look for trouble, and there is a good chance that it will never be fired other than in a safe and controlled environment. But I don't carry an umbrella just because I can either ;)

So my question to you is what would you do if someone were to enter your house and pose a threat to you and your family? if they were armed and there was nowhere you could go to get away from them? if you owned a firearm would you do what you had to do to protect what was yours? or would you let them do as they pleased and take your life or take the life of your loved ones?

I have never owned a firearm, or never thought about owning one until we moved here. My truck has been broken into since we have lived here, and at the time we actually lived in a "good" neighborhood. So I would rather be prepared than sit back and let it go any farther than my driveway. The law states that if someone were to enter your home, you are to go to the back corner of your home and hide. If said intruder should enter your dwelling to the point of no escape, you are to use any means necessary to protect yourself. And that my friend, is the only intent that I have.

The last thing on my list of priorities is to kill somone with a gun.....but it's lower on the list than protecting my wife and children, and even myself. I have priorities and I'm not leaving it up to somone else to decide in which order they are carried out.

Would you prefer to leave your lady home with lube and a phone to call 911, or a way to stop the potential situation before it gets to that point.....and possibly get out alive.

Find ANYONE who has had a perpetrator break into their home and ask them if they expected it to happen, guarantee none of them did. Thinking it won't happen to you is the very thing that makes people surprised when it does. Thinking it won't happen also will not prevent it from happening.

To be honest, killing someone is not even my reason for owning a gun, stopping a criminal from doing what they're doing is the idea. A .45 caliber hollow point can almost guarantee they'll stop. If they die......that's an unfortunate consequence to the choice they made. If they live...........I'll bet they rethink theor plans next time.

Turborusty

Edited by Turborusty