18G

TexasQuest

IDK what the differences are between 20g & 18g. But on my mpi setup the 20g spools to 15 psi around 2500 rpm. With TBI it may spool around 3k but I'm just guessing here. This setup would be a great TBI turbo. Not bad for MPI either but it wont get me to my 450-500 hp goal. So as soon as I can afford a replacement it will go up for sale.

When i read these threads people lump 05 turbos with 05h's, there is a big difference between the two. I suspect many have no clue what turbine they have.

Indeed. The two wheels are totally different animals. I just replaced a TD05-18G with a TD05H-Super16G, take a look at the images below, the exhaust housing outlet is about 1/2" bigger than the TD05. The TD05H wheel dwarfs the TD05.

http://waste-nj.com/d2/super16/s16pair.jpg

TexasQuest, the standard TD05 18G is a fun turbo with a little more up top than the Super16G has, but the differences are not major. It's about as big as you can go with a TD05 compressor housing and the lag will be more noticeable. I ran one for a lot of years, but I prefer the Super16G, although I run the upgraded the exhaust turbine to a TD05H and it's like Jeckyll and Hyde. With an EVC this thing comes on so hard it can outrun your fuel so you need to have the car sorted correctly.

I got mine from http://www.miketurboinc.com/

There are also Starion TD05 20G's out there like the ones CNM used to sell. They have the same/similar rear section but have the big TD06 compressor wheel and housing. There are also a lot of other oddball ones out there, I used to have a T04/20G with the T4 flange, ebay junk.

Edited by Fuze

IDK what the differences are between 20g & 18g. But on my mpi setup the 20g spools to 15 psi around 2500 rpm. With TBI it may spool around 3k but I'm just guessing here. This setup would be a great TBI turbo. Not bad for MPI either but it wont get me to my 450-500 hp goal. So as soon as I can afford a replacement it will go up for sale.

same was in my case, i noticed the 20g created a new car at 16psi, was fun at 25psi til i sold the car, but i was still on TBi

if its a td06h, i believe it was 15psi by 3300

• 2 years later...
I have an 18g turbo with a td06sl02 turbine wheel on the hot side. I am currently getting my car converted to mpi with a magna intake, ms2 from Scott87star and a bunch of other goodies. My goal is to make 325-350 whp on about 22psi or so. Do you guys think this is doable with this turbo?