blow thru carb?

alabamapat33

I was mainly wanting to get rid of all the electrical crap that's cluttering up the engine bay. And thought it would look pretty cool to have a 4-barrel on a 4-cyl. With all the custom mods I've seen on here I thought maybe someone has tried it and could tell me how well it worked.

Hey, go for it.

Look at the 2.3 from ford (Lima motors) with a carb. Sick little things. I wouldnt go blower because it's belt driven and already sucks power from a low powered motor. I say go n/a with a custom grind cam and a Holley or weber. Orrrrr you can go for a draw thru turbo setup. Look up the pros and cons of both. It's a debate lol. So you don't need a special turbo carb, a draw thru will allow you to use a regular carb because it won't have that pressure to contain. Just gonna need a big carb (depending on your turbo choice) and it will be easier to tune ;)

I love carb

It'd be more of a pita going backwards. What would you do for timing control? The stock system sucks, yes...and as a carb lover myself, I considered it in the past, but...I came to realize, even a good running carb motor won't be as efficient as FI...even if its crappy TBI.

Just fix what you have. It'd be cheaper and have better overall drivability. Plus...blow thru carbs add a whole new dimension to pain in the knickers.

Been done,,,heard stories that it ran good,,,but tuneability had

to be an issue.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w316/conquest232/quest%20parts/4550.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w316/conquest232/quest%20parts/6722.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w316/conquest232/quest%20parts/a42a.jpg

I think a 4bbl is wayyy overkill. If people run 500cfm 2bbls on V8s and they scream, I think a 500cfm would be more than enough for a blown 2.6L.

Over carb is worse than undercarb.

I mean, if my dad's 575hp 440 is running on a 750cfm carbureator....

Also...once again, what are you doing for timing? MSD boost timing retard box?

I think a 4bbl is wayyy overkill. If people run 500cfm 2bbls on V8s and they scream, I think a 500cfm would be more than enough for a blown 2.6L.

Over carb is worse than undercarb.

I mean, if my dad's 575hp 440 is running on a 750cfm carbureator....

Also...once again, what are you doing for timing? MSD boost timing retard box?

I'm not completely sure that is correct. There's a lot of math to go through.

One thing comes to mind. Placement of the carb before or after must play a role in determining the size. I think a 500 cfm carb before the turbo may be just fine. Look at it this way. At 100% VE a 2.6 could draw in 2.6L of air in N/A form. N/A is rarely 100%VE though. But forced induction motors can come very close to 100% VE. If the 2.6 is run at 15psi that's just about doubling the air intake more or less. 2.6+2.6=5.2 A 5.2L engine will run well on a 500 cfm carb. A turbo 2.6 at 15 psi can use close to the same amount of air as a N/A 5.2 So in my mind a 500 cfm carb before the turbo may be a good fit.

This is just my theory and I may be wrong about this. It is midnight and I am getting tired. :P

Edited by ucw458

I'm not completely sure that is correct. There's a lot of math to go through.

One thing comes to mind. Placement of the carb before or after must play a role in determining the size. I think a 500 cfm carb before the turbo may be just fine. Look at it this way. At 100% VE a 2.6 could draw in 2.6L of air in N/A form. N/A is rarely 100%VE though. But forced induction motors can come very close to 100% VE. If the 2.6 is run at 15psi that's just about doubling the air intake more or less. 2.6+2.6=5.2 A 5.2L engine will run well on a 500 cfm carb. A turbo 2.6 at 15 psi can use close to the same amount of air as a N/A 5.2 So in my mind a 500 cfm carb before the turbo may be a good fit.

This is just my theory and I may be wrong about this. It is midnight and I am getting tired. :P

Yeah, 500cfm MIGHT do. and maybe at 100% duty. i would go for a 600-650cfm sealed (supercharger/turbo) carb from Holley or Demon. thats a pricey carb to be honest, but worth it. My brother will be running a 750 sealed holley for his weiand 174 on the 71 mustang. thats a 302ci, so yeah id say about 600 or so to be safe. you can always jet it down if its too big, or jet it up if its too small. Just make sure you get a nice big accelerator pump, so you can get that extra fuel in there on that initial floor stomp.

Edited by Mike_StarionTSI

You don't need a special "sealed" card. The old trick is to put the carb inside a box. Then feed boost pressure into the box.

http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/9293044/mump_0708_04_z+paxton_supercharger_install+carburetor_enclosure.jpg

http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/9293125/mump_0708_22_z+paxton_supercharger_install+elbow.jpg

Isn't the dist already set up to run turbo? I was gonna use a msd ignition system. Why wouldn't that work? I don't know that much about it myself but it works off of vacuum and boost anyways right?

Good point...been too long out of the 2.6 world and in the world of 2.2 Dodges...they have an electronic advance, not vac.

Sorry about that...lol Yup, vac advance, boost retard.

On with the chlorophyl.

You don't need a special "sealed" card. The old trick is to put the carb inside a box. Then feed boost pressure into the box.

http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/9293044/mump_0708_04_z+paxton_supercharger_install+carburetor_enclosure.jpg

http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/9293125/mump_0708_22_z+paxton_supercharger_install+elbow.jpg

thats bad. Never seen that. Im used to the blowers with the top mounted carb. But how much is that?? If its too much in combo with the regular carb, then its cheaper to use a sealed carb.

A couple of things Im noticing, its got a way bigger area, than a turbo hat, so itll take more effort to create the boost needed, also, its not being shoved down the carb like a turbo hat would. If the carb begins to leak pressure, sure it will spit it back in there and be crammed back in, but I honestly think the sealed carb would be better in this case.

The point is, you need to have that carb sealed some way.

This is talking about turbos, but boost is boost when you do a blow thru setup. The only difference is the tuning part. Itll be easier on a S/C becuase its belt driven. Guess that selaed box is the best way to go. Though I have seen carbs that are sealed.

Blow through

More complex than the draw through arangement, but if set up correctly, has much improved performance

It, as the name suggests again, means that the turbo is mounted before the carburetor, and it blows air through it.

Benefits

Pretty much all of the detractors for the draw through set up are now reversed. You can use a blow off valve, an intercooler, turbo can be mounted on a set of real short exhaust headers, you aren't drawing air at a lower pressure etc.

Detractors

It is (as I mentioned previously) more difficult to set up. You have two major dilema's:

1. A carburetor can monitor air speed, and adjust fuel flow accordingly, but it can't measure an increase in pressure. Therefore, you may have a system making 15psi, and sending double the amount of air that a N/A engine would recieve, but the carburetor would only provide fuel for the N/A engine, meaning it will run super lean. As turbo's boost isn't linear, it can make it hard to tune.

2. You will now have a positive pressure, and it can cause headaches with your fuel flowing through your jets. The pressure will try to crush the fuel float, it's going to want to blow fuel mix out the throttle shaft, or back into the fuel line.

Also the carb must be sealed so it does not leak the pressurised air-fuel mix - it would be extremely dangerous. The best method I have heard of is placing the carb in an air tight box, and running a sealed throttle cable.

Edited by Mike_StarionTSI

• 2 weeks later...
Ok. A lot of input. Thanks for that. But. Has anyone on here actually done it them self? Was hoping to here from someone that has done it them self. So I could get some kind of personal experience type point of view of how it works. If you haven't tried it then you really don't know what your talking about. (No offense just want to hear from someone that has first hand experience).

I never ran one. The hispanic guys used to run carbs, but i noticed most have switched to muti port efi in the last 5 years. The carbs will work if set up right, its just that you leave some power on the table injection could get out. Some V8 guys still run blow through.