cam gear a tooth off?

jrhgolf23

Soo I put my new head on last week. Got everything put back together. Put the cam at tdc and looked at the little mark under the timing guide ans the mark is at 10* advanced...

Im assuming this means i hve to take the cam gear off ans turn it back 1 tooth. My only problem is idk how to get the cam gear off.

I tried just pulling up on the chain and turning it back, but you cant lift the chain high enough.

Soo my question is, first off, is that evwn what i have to do is just turn the cam gear back?

And second, how do i go about doing that?

I have the head already torqued down and id really rather not have to take it off again.

Im assuming i have to take off that little thing that the cam gear sits on(the thing under the gear. Idk what its called). But idk.

Thanks in advance for any help

Edited by jrhgolf23

i did such thing this weekend degreeing my cam 5deg advanced....... get you a piece of good aluminum strap kinda thick... i had one just piece laying around so your gonna have to improvise.... put it down in the timing chain hole to keep the chain tensioner from popping out of the oil pump,,,,,,, that would be bad...... remove the bolt and dizzy gear from the cam. pop the timing gear off the cam. there is a little shelf to hold it up. now pull up on that cam gear, the slack will come from the left of the motor. push that plunger in with that strap and hold it.....now either you can move your cam gear far enough forward off its little shelf to get the room to skip teeth. if not you may have to bend that little shelf down just a bit to get enough room. but BECAREFULL you dont want to loose tension on that plunger,,,,,,,,, if it comes out your gonna have to tear the whole timing cover off and put it back in.........good luck and take your time.........

Thanks for the explanation, but I'm confused...

if I push down in the timing chain tensioner, wouldn't that make the timing chain even more tight? Making it even harder to list it up and move the gear? Or am I not understanding how the tensioner works?

if I push down in the timing chain tensioner, wouldn't that make the timing chain even more tight? Making it even harder to list it up and move the gear? Or am I not understanding how the tensioner works?

your compressing the tensioner to relax it, would also keep it from coming out

after doing that, you can work the chain around the gear 1 tooth at a time

There's a good pic of compressing the tensioner here...

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=944

You may have slipped a tooth when you had things apart. It happens, but do yourself a favor and rotate the motor several times and check and recheck before you go changing things, just to be sure.

it pushes from the passenger side towards the drivers side.... take a flash light and look way to the left past the chain guide and you can see a shiney smooth rod with a rubber half moon kinda shape............ that is it........... it rides on the chain to keep it from getting loose.... that is what you must compress and hold while changing teeth........... hope that helps better..

it pushes from the passenger side towards the drivers side.... take a flash light and look way to the left past the chain guide and you can see a shiney smooth rod with a rubber half moon kinda shape............ that is it........... it rides on the chain to keep it from getting loose.... that is what you must compress and hold while changing teeth........... hope that helps better..

Your backwards... it compresses toward the passenger side. Fully extended it pushes the chain toward the driver side, you want to compress it toward the passneger side to get the slack.

Soo I put my new head on last week. Got everything put back together. Put the cam at tdc and looked at the little mark under the timing guide ans the mark is at 10* advanced...

Im assuming this means i hve to take the cam gear off ans turn it back 1 tooth. My only problem is idk how to get the cam gear off.

I tried just pulling up on the chain and turning it back, but you cant lift the chain high enough.

Soo my question is, first off, is that evwn what i have to do is just turn the cam gear back?

And second, how do i go about doing that?

I have the head already torqued down and id really rather not have to take it off again.

Im assuming i have to take off that little thing that the cam gear sits on(the thing under the gear. Idk what its called). But idk.

Thanks in advance for any help

Rotate the engine clockwise till the crank pulley is a zero, top dead center #1. The dowel in the cam gear should be a little before 12.00 o'clock. Say 11.58, if it is you are ok.

Rotate the engine clockwise till the crank pulley is a zero, top dead center #1. The dowel in the cam gear should be a little before 12.00 o'clock. Say 11.58, if it is you are ok.

That's what I would suggest too before you go any further. The pin in the cam gear can be a little shy of 12 O'clock and still be fine. How did you set up the cam timing when you put it together? If you matched up the plated links with the dot on both the cam and crank gear it should be fine.

I see u got the head installed i sold ya----this is something shelby posted a while back and some good info here---hope it helps

gig out

many times when guys are removeing the head they set the cam gear down on the holder make for that , but as things tend to happen in the world of cars , this can cause problems, what happens is with a worn chain and guides is theres a lot of chain slack , this slack will almost always fall on the long side so the crank gear and the chain get a lof of slack on the pull side, no bigie but this can at times alow the chain to slide past the crank gear and slip a tooth, so when you start to reinstall the cam gear it is now a tooth off on the crank , most of the time this causes the cam to be advance'd by 1/2 of a cam tooth and altho the engine will run it's way out of it's normal timeing spot and performance will suck to say the least ,

this can not becorrect'd at the cam gear in the normal way sence any one tooth is 2 crank gear teeth,, how to fix , well it's realy easy,

first loosen the cam gear bolt,,then you start by seting up the timeing as you normaly would, but this time you set the cam pin in it's 12:00 position and don't pay any atention to the crank pully mark, if the crank and cam are in time the crank mark will be align'd at the tdc mark, but if the cam and crank are out of time the tdc mark on the crank pully will be off by a little say 5-10 degrees or nearly that , if this is the case then do the following

MAKE SURE THE CAM PIN IS AT EXACTLY 12:00

now carefully remove the cam gear bolt and cam gear, but do not set it down on the holder plate but keep an up ward pull on the chain and gear , while keeping a strong upward pull on the gear and chain , use a wrench to turn the crank . lets say the crank was setting at 5 degrees befor tdc , ( as would be the case if the cam is fast)you turn the crank untill it's about the same atdc , now rotate the cam gear one link back . now you have move'd the cam one link back and the crank one tooth late, now if you are right and have not alow'd the chain to drop , when you turn the crank back to TDC both it and the pin will be at 12:00 and the gear will set right into the cam and every thing will be fine again

here the short of it, you can't correct the crank gear timeing at TDC you must change it 1/2 a cam tooth off thus when it's put back to tdc it will now be in proper time with the cam , in essence you move't the crank one aditional tooth so now one tooth on the cam puts it right where it belongs

__

You have ran the engine and set timing with a timing light and now think its not correct? If you just left the chain on and let the gear fall onto the tin shelf and now just put it back on the cam then how did it get off one tooth?