Red/Orange '86...?

SLOWnSTEADY

Dumb question. I recently got an '86 Conquest, previous owner spray painted it flat white. I found the original color is like an orangeish red color, I was talk to someone about it and they said that color is "rare" and I should paint it back to the factory color. I was planning to either paint it white or synergy green.

Is there any truth to that at all? I don't imagine it matters too much as i will soon have a turbo'd LSx and an 8.8"/4-link in it so factory stuff won't matter much but I thought it was was, it might be worth keeping the color.

I was under the impression red was the most common color. Maby im wrong, idk! Deffanitly dont keep it white cuz white cars are ugly. :ph34r:

LOL

It's more Orange I think but I don't know if orange was really an option. It is hard to tell because I only have under the carpet and the dirty engine bay to tel but it looks like this to me: http://4.bp.blogspot...oupe+4g54+2.jpg Maybe a little more red than that but doesn't look like all the red ones I have seen.

Edited by SLOWnSTEADY

Its RO4 Mexican red some sometimes called Rio red , only a handful of 86 widebodies were painted this color , ive never seen one in person only in photographs . :)

LOL! Saying stuff like this is probably how the original poster came to this conclusion...

I was talk to someone about it and they said that color is "rare" and I should paint it back to the factory color.

R04 red is hands down the most comon color for widebody SQ's. Paint it whatever color you like. Don't let comments like the one by Scotty lead you to believe otherwise.

Good chance that is not a factory paint, since the bumper isnt black like all pre 88-9 and the emblems or stickers are removed, and doesn't really look like a color I have seen from the factory either. What is your paint code? and does the color look the same in your engine bay and other places like in the trunk?

Yea dood R04 is by far the most common color and the butt of much sarcasm in the community and as Burton pointed out i was just yanking your chain ;) , its a color that a lot here dislike , personally its my favorite when fresh . :) Edited by SOTTY

That's what my '86 was until I finally got the $$ together to get it painted the color I always wanted; Viper GTS blue. Luvin it.

And as the factory paint faded, especially under the hood, it turned orangish.

Engine bay paint is not the same as body color paint its just a close match then they put a wax over it and that yellows it but that comes off if you wash the engine bay.

Just don't pressure wash the electronics ;) Or you will be posting about your car not starting :D

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Yea dood R04 is by far the most common color and the butt of much sarcasm in the community and as Burton pointed out i was just yanking your chain ;) , its a color that a lot here dislike , personally its my favorite when fresh . :)

There I was starting to believe my RO4 '86 Conquest was a rare color too. ^_^

Colin B)