new truck, just like you all told me!

spoolinturbo

Well the Nissan tried to kill me a few times. Last week, it spun out pretty bad in 4wd on the highway, hit a snow bank...went into the brush about 30 yards. So my fiance said it was time for a new truck! Just picked up a 2012 silverado z71 with the 5.3L my first V8 truck. Its pretty sweet, has all the bells and whistles on it and a hard tonneu cover.

Im just going to buy some black projector headlights for it, get rid of the chrome grill and throw on a black grill guard like i did for the suburban. We just had "zombie response unit" stickers made for both our rigs lol. but atleast. i feel more safe now in this truck than the little nissan! =)

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm52/spoolinturbo/WP_000408.jpg

nice truck, but I can't stand the look of black housing projectors on these trucks, but that's just my opinion, do what makes you happy.

One thing I do recommend, a leveling kit, it makes it look like a 4x4 then (the 2wds share the same suspension height). I did a 2.5" level on mine (along with a painted grill, CARR 10" steps, and vinyl over the bowties, white out back, and black up front)

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320061_509964800722_143100245_30236607_1188659163_n.jpg

nice truck, but I can't stand the look of black housing projectors on these trucks, but that's just my opinion, do what makes you happy.

One thing I do recommend, a leveling kit, it makes it look like a 4x4 then (the 2wds share the same suspension height). I did a 2.5" level on mine (along with a painted grill, CARR 10" steps, and vinyl over the bowties, white out back, and black up front)

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320061_509964800722_143100245_30236607_1188659163_n.jpg

D, I don't think they sell 2WD trucks in Alaska.

Jeff, great upgrade. I love those Silverados.

thanks guys! it is pretty awesome!! where did you get your leveling kit from?

yea i want the blacked out headlights for that sinister fbi look lol. I wonder how long until it gets good gas mileage lol. right now it says 7.4, but it does only have 75 miles on it now.

yea def no 2wd trucks up here, they're are some here, but they are usually here due to people trading them in when they get up here.

i havent tried yet! they say it has 315hp and 335 tq for the 5.3 and the only thing i think thats added that would boost performance is the "high capacity" air cleaner that was added on the z71 package, or one of the other packages thats on it. says i can tow 10,700lbs which is cool.

I got it off eBay, some no-name brand, but I made sure to get the steel spacer. The NNBS (07+) 1500 Silverados and Sierras use a coilover strut rather than the torsion bar.

"Auto Spring Kits" was the seller.... http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e68ff7fe9

the paint was chipping off already when I pulled them from the box, but I put a coat of truck bed liner on them before I put them in. Took 3 hours for the install, being lazy and taking my time.

edit: And the next morning I had an alignment done on it. Toe was off

Edited by D_Venable

Got in to a new full-size truck again this year myself....it's nice going from the little DD to a big honkin' 4x4. Been a GM guy my whole life and begged my dealer to work with me on a crew like yours but they wouldn't budge.....literally warned them that I was about to cross the street and buy a Ford if they didn't deal and they called my bet. I do like my F-150 Ecoboost though :) Still want to vomit a little every time I drive it looking at a Blue Oval though...LOL. Nice truck....enjoy! Edited by jonboyb

Not going to threadjack Jeff but long story short I love it. Feels so wrong though. Wicked fast for a fullsize 4x4 crew (I think 6.1 0-60 according to car mags in my version) and gas mileage very decent for 365hp/420tq in a 5500lb chassis. I'm getting 18.5+ back roads to/from work. Interstate looks like low 20's. Just doesn't sound like a V8 though and doesn't have the immediate off-the-line response of a V8 while the snails get going. With the direct injection it sounds a little like a diesel and feels like a diesel unless you stomp it (produces 90% torque at 1800rpm). Haven't towed yet but seems to be outstanding based on reviews.....just looking for that next project that warrants hooking up the trailer...LOL.

Only reason I don't have a Z71 is my idiotic dealer who PO'ed me to the point of changing teams :)

Edited by jonboyb

Not going to threadjack Jeff but long story short I love it. Feels so wrong though. Wicked fast for a fullsize 4x4 crew (I think 6.1 0-60 according to car mags in my version) and gas mileage very decent for 365hp/420tq in a 5500lb chassis. I'm getting 18.5+ back roads to/from work. Interstate looks like low 20's. Just doesn't sound like a V8 though and doesn't have the immediate off-the-line response of a V8 while the snails get going. With the direct injection it sounds a little like a diesel and feels like a diesel unless you stomp it (produces 90% torque at 1800rpm). Haven't towed yet but seems to be outstanding based on reviews.....just looking for that next project that warrants hooking up the trailer...LOL.

Only reason I don't have a Z71 is my idiotic dealer who PO'ed me to the point of changing teams :)

I hear ya, i was always a Chevy man but i bought a dodge. basically because of the cummins, have you ever looked under the hood of a modern diesel v-8? sheesh, not fun looking..

Not sure i could go blue oval though, but those ecoboost do intrest me.

Good looking truck Jon, i dig..

Edited by Hoosierquest

Yeah, I like Ecoboost. I would have got one if the price of them was anywhere close to what I bought my truck for (paid just over 23K for brand new truck) but mine is a WT (got the WT so my transfer case has a stick on the floor instead of the electronic dial on the dash)

Sounds like it's actually getting the claimed mileage too. The Silverado's 5.3 is rated for 21 highway, but I can only manage a best of 18.4 mpg to date. Spooling, if you want to get anything over 14mpg forget you even have the cruise control. ANY time it has to accelerate, it downshifts and ruins any hope of it staying in V4 mode for the good mileage

Whenever I do upgrade trucks, I'm wanting to go crew cab diesel ( probably stick with GM and get a Duramax)

Oh, and with just the leveling kit you should be able to squeeze some 33's on it. I've got some 18x9 wheels with a huge lip for my truck, just waitIng to have the $1300 for some 33x12.50r18 Nitto Mud Grapplers

Edited by D_Venable